Author Topic: LinuxMCE Beginner issues- Installing Linux drivers  (Read 5560 times)

LinuxMCEbeginner

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
LinuxMCE Beginner issues- Installing Linux drivers
« on: January 26, 2013, 09:04:47 am »
LinuxMCE is a great solution for automation and integrating devices. I started this project a while ago, I found LinuxMCE while searching for a automation solution, but never got to finish it due to frustration. So I'm going to give it another try, with the help from the community. Also my goal is that this will help others, I'm sure that there are other beginners that are on a budget having similar issues like I am.

After installing LinuxMCE the on board audio doesn't work, also a capture card / TV tuner does not work. Also I have a X10 USB Wireless Transceiver CM19A that I can't get to work. How exactly do you install drivers in Linux and where do you get them from to enable these devices to work?

Then after the drivers are installed, if there is no template how do you get them to work? Especially the X10 USB Wireless Transceiver CM19A. My goal is to use the existing hardware that I have because it is convenient and also this project is on a low budget. I have experience in IT, but just not a lot of experience with installing drivers in Linux.

Thank you, all help in finally making this project successful is highly appreciated!

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: LinuxMCE Beginner issues- Installing Linux drivers
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 10:37:25 am »
The most important point is: Be as detailed as you can about the hardware and issues you have. Split them into individual threads, so they can be looked at individually.

_if_

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 12:36:46 pm »
and also: what version of LinuxMCE are you using?

LinuxMCEbeginner

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 02:47:56 pm »
The machine's hardware at the moment is a intel pentium 4 processor with hyperthreading, 1.5gb of ram. Running off of on board video. Two 40gb ide hard drives The motherboard came out of a HP desktop now in a different case. Running off of a 400w power supply. I built this machine specifically to be a LinuxMCE automation core / server. OS LinuxMCE 8.10 final The hardware is not the newest but it should be powerful enough.                         This main topic for this thread would be dedicated to how to go about installing drivers in linux and where to get them. Should I make a new thread for every different device that needs a driver and is not working? Or will we keep installing drivers together? Thanks.

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 04:51:21 pm »
First rule of LMCE is be patient

Second rule is read and search about your hardware. For instance check out the wiki page on CM11a for info on your X10 controller (my cm15 works great)

I would also say you will have a much easier time installing 10.04 via DVD than any thing else and there has been huge advances in video chipset recognition. I suggest you install that and then let us know what issues you have and we can help

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 05:28:50 pm »
Your details are okay. What would be more helpful are details about the soundcard, the way you've wired up your soundcard, your tuner card etc.

LinuxMCEbeginner

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 04:49:03 am »
Techstyle: I will download 10.04, burn it and install VIA DVD. I was wondering when installing and running LinuxMCE, does it run better with Intel or AMD processors? Or does it not make a difference? Also does this new release have more drivers and is there more templates for x10, to be more specific is my X10 CM19A supported?

posde: The sound card is on board, I will try and install 10.04 like Techstyle recommend. If I have a problem with the sound still, I will post more detailed information about the sound card. For now I will have it hooked up to standard desktop speakers. Later on, I will connect it to a 5.1 surround sound system.

I have to get this machine out and give this project another try. I hope this can finally become a successful project. I was reading the wiki before. But it's better to have help from people that are experienced with getting these systems running to their full potential.

Thanks for replying.

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 05:49:16 am »
I don't think there is any difference between how it will run on and Intel or AMD processor.  I have an AMD core and a Media Director that is Intel Atom and both run fine.  There is a device template for CM11 and CM15 but I am not sure about CM19.  I would plug it in and see what happens.  The CM15 is plug and play.  There is more hardware support in 10.04 and L3MCE has done a load of work getting video and sound to work well, you will also find the install process much cleaner than in 0810.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 04:43:38 pm »
Techstyle: I will download 10.04, burn it and install VIA DVD. I was wondering when installing and running LinuxMCE, does it run better with Intel or AMD processors? Or does it not make a difference? Also does this new release have more drivers and is there more templates for x10, to be more specific is my X10 CM19A supported?

posde: The sound card is on board, I will try and install 10.04 like Techstyle recommend. If I have a problem with the sound still, I will post more detailed information about the sound card. For now I will have it hooked up to standard desktop speakers. Later on, I will connect it to a 5.1 surround sound system.

I have to get this machine out and give this project another try. I hope this can finally become a successful project. I was reading the wiki before. But it's better to have help from people that are experienced with getting these systems running to their full potential.

Thanks for replying.

Its always a good idea to download a LiveCD of Ubuntu and boot from that. That way you can get a very good idea of how well your hardware will perform once LinuxMCE is installed.

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk