Author Topic: Additional software install's  (Read 5321 times)

cperk4

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Additional software install's
« on: January 18, 2013, 04:38:15 am »
Does anyone know of a list or a place where i can see what options i have as far as installing more software and what the sudo is?? ie
lib dvd read 3 or
w32 codec and such.  just kind of looking for a list.  Thanks.

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
Re: Additional software install's
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 07:59:46 am »
sudo is a command that tells the machine that you would like to run the subsequent command with super-user privileges.

For example:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2

The command you are giving the system is "apt-get", the "sudo" part says you would like to run the "apt-get" command with super-user privileges, not just as a normal user. The "install" is a parameter given to the "apt-get" command to tell it what, specifically you want to do, and the "libdvdcss2" is another parameter to the "apt-get" command telling it which package you would like to install.

HTH.
James

As far as a "list of software" goes.... perhaps someone else can assist. This is pretty much endless but you generally install the software as you have need! Eg.... if you need to read encoded DVDs, you install "libdvdcss2" and "w32codecs". Other software for other needs as required.

Hope that starts to shed som light.

cperk4

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 02:04:23 am »
helped, yes and no.  :) im just looking for a place where i can see what software is available to install and what it does.  Like if i go to cnet.com on internet explorer i can look at software for windows or mac or whatever and there are you know tons and tons of free ones to try.  Thanks again.

cperk4

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 02:08:50 am »
im not looking for anything specific, just wanting to browse what is out there.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 04:00:58 am »
The additional software page is not being used at the moment, we haven't provided any additional modules since 0710.

-Thom

_if_

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 11:57:42 am »
Are you talking about LinuxMCE or Linux in general? because that sounds like you were looking for software for desktop pc...

cperk4

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 05:12:48 am »
MCE,  just trying to figure out what things i need to install to get the media center working all the way. These are the 3 i was told to install.  Not sure of the correct spelling
1.Libdvdread 3
2.w32 codec pack
3.disclesscreat_TBZ

cperk4

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 05:13:19 am »
Also no sound currently coming from tv

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 08:03:56 am »
cperk4, I think you need to post a little background info for the smart guys to be able to help.

Sounds as if your install has worked up to a point.

Did you install 8.10 or 10.04?
Did you follow the instructions here?
Did you install from a the release (downloaded image and burned to dvd) or internet install as described on the above page? If the release what was the image name?
What is your hardware setup - do you have just one machine or have you tried creating media directors (plugging additional machines into the internal network) yet?

This info may help others to get a picture of where you are and more directed questions to ask.

Regarding those 3 items
1.Libdvdread 3
2.w32 codec pack
3.disclesscreat_TBZ

The first 2 are required to read encrypted DVDs but you only need to install them if you try to play a file/dvd or copy a dvd and get a message on the screen saying "unable to read" or similar. The message usually includes something about "libdvdcss2".

The third item should no longer be necessary at all in 10.04 AFAIK. Also, it is only relevant when you start adding media directors but I wouldn't worry about it at this stage.

Your sound issue - some of the smart guys should be able to help if you start by giving some detail about your hardware setup - what your video card and sound card is and the other detail I mentioned above.