Author Topic: Touchscreen md  (Read 3394 times)

Ritmo2k

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Touchscreen md
« on: January 17, 2013, 03:31:15 am »
I had planned for sometime when a kitchen was done to use a tablet as an Orbiter with a frame, stuck to the wall.

Now I need to drive a tuner and play sound etc at this location, so I figure I should just use a touch panel based computer as an md. Whats the currently best option for one of these now?

Thanks!

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
Re: Touchscreen md
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 07:17:35 am »
A touch PC is going to be pretty expensive for that solution... another option might be to split the two -

keep your tablet-orbiter idea for the orbiter but have a low-spec PC or old laptop as the MD sitting under the counter somewhere driving the sound. That's the way I run my kitchen setup and it's very neat and unobtrusive. All you see are the speakers which are pretty discreet and then I just drive the MD and sound from a mobile orbiter (phone, or tablet if you like).

The advantage is you can spend a lot less on what is just a sound station. Disadvantage, of course, is you don't get video or any of that but then you can get all the other apps and whatnot on the tablet.

Another link to follow regarding the mounted/touch-screen stuff is here:

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php/topic,13004.0.html

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 11:13:48 am »
The o2 joggler is capable to act as a touch orbiter and ontop have a squeeze slave running in the background. Works nicely.

Ritmo2k

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 04:28:45 pm »
Ok, it turns out based on the info from the two posts and link that they either will use existing ipads or buy a Nexus 7/10.

So that leaves the requirements for the md, but without video Posde's suggesting is appealing, Posde do you refer to the Squeezebox Receiver (C-RM66) as the device to drive with a pad orbitor?

Thanks a lot guys!

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 04:31:21 pm »
No. The O2 Joggler is a small x86 based computer with a 7" touch screen. And you can run the SqueezeSlave software on it, as well as the LinuxMCE Orbiter. Feedling is needed, but it works. Our wiki has some infos about it.