Author Topic: IR trans  (Read 7027 times)

david_a_dawson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
IR trans
« on: January 14, 2013, 02:24:58 pm »
Hey, just wondering if anyone had any experience using an IR Trans IR blaster/ receiver?

I got one as it seemed to be specifically supported by LMCE, but the learning function doesn't seem to work.

My TV doesn't seem to have well publicised IR codes (samsung UE40ES6300).

Ideally I could get this to learn IR codes, think thats possible?

Cheers,

David

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: IR trans
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 02:47:35 pm »
The one device that people have had success with IR learning has always been the USB UIRT. Not cheap, but well worth it, imho.

RayBe

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 08:04:03 pm »
Hi David,

As posde once pointed out to me, make sure that the DT you want to make, is created, installed and assigned to the room where the IR-trans is (or in my case the USBUIRT) before you start learning ir-codes.
You can finish creating the DT and installing it and then, at a later time, fill in the ir-codes.

Another tip: www.remotecentral.com where you can find all sorts of ir-codes, discrete and normal once.

br,
Raymond
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 08:24:59 pm by RayBe »
When you were born, you were crying and everybody else was laughing.
Live your life so when you die, you are laughing and everybody else is crying.

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 09:17:26 pm »
The one device that people have had success with IR learning has always been the USB UIRT. Not cheap, but well worth it, imho.

Except there is one on EBay right now going for $12.00!

David,
You need to set up a device template for your TV, if you want, I will set one up for you if you donate an amount to the community (for the SCALE show).   I would need to see if this device is in the Logitech Harmony database, but I am sure it is

david_a_dawson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 12:22:24 am »

David,
You need to set up a device template for your TV, if you want, I will set one up for you if you donate an amount to the community (for the SCALE show).   I would need to see if this device is in the Logitech Harmony database, but I am sure it is

Indeed.

I just bought a USB-UIRT, but I'll happily use that in a different room.  Some way to get these things to work cleanly is better for me, as the manufacturer is in europe, and so they they are waay cheaper, for if I need to buy any more.

That does sound pretty cool.  I donated a chunk of cash a week or so ago for SCALE, does that count?  :-)

I've checked the logitech harmony DB (assuming this is it http://www.logitech.com/harmony/components) and it does support the TV, apparently.

I wonder if there might be some way to automated the extraction of the codes into LMCE?  Anywho, dreaming.  Setting up a template would be legendary, and would make you, officially, awesome.

David.

david_a_dawson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 11:28:20 am »

David,

I've donated a bit more now, for a worthy cause. 
... any chance of a template :-)

david_a_dawson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 06:11:46 pm »
whoop, found a thread containing almost all the codes.
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-discrete/thread.cgi?5780

How would I wrap this up for submission?

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 06:51:40 pm »
I will put something together for you to test.  It might take me a day or two

david_a_dawson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 07:01:38 pm »
I've got the basics working I think, in the usb uirt that arrived today. volume up/ down, on/off, source selection via the discrete codes seem to work.  Which is pretty much what I need.

I'll try those codes on the ir trans, as that'd be awesome to be able to use instead (given how much cheaper they are over here.). then the usb uirt can go in another room.

Thanks for the offer though!

How would I get this back into the master DB?

David.

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 07:42:56 pm »
Read all of this before doing any of it

1.  Log into the IRC channel #linuxmce-devel
2. Go to http://svn.linuxmce.org/trac.cgi and create a new ticket use information similar to http://svn.linuxmce.org/trac.cgi/ticket/1662, (ignore the change history for now)
3.  In webadmin goto --> Advanced --> sqlCVS and click 'update' - select everything and run or submit (whatever)
4.  once the update is complete, run 'Diff' from the same menu - this will show you differences to sqlCVS - these make up your template. 
5.  in the description box at the bottom write a description "Device Template for Sharp XXXXX" and include the Ticket number.  check all the items that are to do with your template and submit
6.  in the IRC chanel you will see the batch codes appear that are associated with your submission, copy them and add them to your ticket.
7.  Ask in the IRC if there is anyone available to approve your submission.  if there isnt - keep asking until you find someone.