Author Topic: Android Touch Orbiter now downloadable from Web Admin Orbiters Page  (Read 11689 times)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Hello everyone,

The next generation qOrbiter is coming along nicely, and I am doing much work trying to push my current skin project for it, Data, to a more complete state.

In the mean time, until workable qOrbiter skins become available, I have taken los93sol's Touch Orbiter for android, and fixed a few issues with it, and have built it, and posde has placed it on deb.linuxmce.org so that it can easily be downloaded from the Orbiter Download page on the Web Admin.

If you do not have the latest snapshot, you can get the orbiter from: http://deb.linuxmce.org/LinuxMCE-Orbiter.apk

Please test, and let me know how it works,

-Thom

david_a_dawson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Android Touch Orbiter now downloadable from Web Admin Orbiters Page
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 09:07:28 pm »
Hiya,

I've been testing this.

I have a samsung note.

I went through setup ok and then encoutered a few problems.

Firstly, the room is not being persisted, I had to set that in the admin site.   
Secondly, the screen seems to go black quite regularly, needing a router reload before I can launch the orbiter and see the screen again (I can't divine the pattern, but is happens quite quickly with me)
With the black screen, the menu is still active, and the little ticker icon appears when I touch, so the screen is there, just being rendered blank.
The steps I went though are to register, set the room, set the screen resolution, set the UI to normal horizontal 16:9 (I tried 3:4 too), set the skin to basic, quick reload the router.
The screen will then display on the touch orbiter, but there is no room/ user selector visible (the bar is at the bottom, just no selector on it...) and when I click a ui element, say VIdeo, the screen goes black.

There's no way to select the correct resolution for the device (1200x800) in the orbiters settings, instead you have to use the admin.

The black screen thing is getting me, as I can't use it while its doing that.

This looks to be cool though, enough until qOrbiter is stable, and enough to let me hammer on with my deployment.

Cheers,

David.

david_a_dawson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 09:08:09 pm »
oh yes, and I seem to have to log in every time I boot the orbiter, is there a way to store the credentials somehow?

david_a_dawson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 09:09:29 pm »
aha, selecting the 'titanium blue' skin works much better, no black screens, user/ room selector in place.

david_a_dawson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 09:12:01 pm »
its actually working quite well, nice and quick.  If I could just store the creds, this is a workable solution to remote controls.

I'll be buying some cheap android pads to use as remotes, happy in the knowledge that qOrbiter will replace it at some future point.

Nice one!

david_a_dawson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 10:12:53 pm »
Some more bug reports.

The name/ description of the orbiter is seemingly not persisted, instead it always comes through as 'Generic Proxy Orbiter'.
It appears that the basic skin is being chosen rather than titanium blue (which is what I select in the android app).

The black screen does appear if your settings haven't been applied fully somehow (not sure of the lifecycle of things here), a quick reload router in the admin seems to be a needed step.

Also, I'm not sure where this is coming from, but I have generic proxy orbiters being created every so often, totally unconfigured.  Seemingly just the one, and when I delete it, within 20 mins or so a new one is made with a new ID.

david_a_dawson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 10:18:45 pm »
Further update.

I've tested on a samsung note and a nexus 7 and got it working well on both.

UI - Normal Horizontal 3:4   (the missing UI elements seems to be related to this, not the skin)
Skin - Titanium blue/ green
Size: Note - 1280x800,  Nexus 7 - 720p

Both then fit into the screen perfectly.

Once its working, it seems to stay working, just a bit of a dance to get things configured right.

Job done, it works.  Happy.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 10:46:46 pm »
The UI variation option will need to either be documented, or tweaked, as this has tripped up more than a few people. I had one user tell me his orbiter wasn't working, only to find he had tried to use the V2 Horizontal orientation, which is impossible to use on anything but an on-screen orbiter (as it requires the OSDScreenHandler, which is not present in anything but the Linux on-screen orbiters)

-Thom

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 11:36:53 pm »
Works great! Thanks Thom.

If it's trivial to do,  adding a haptic feedback option would be icing on the cake (instant affirmation that touch input was registered!) ,  otherwise it's perfect.

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 12:48:36 pm »
Tested with an early alpha 1004 (haven't go round to installing the RC yet) and it works very well, nice and fast. I have only tried it with existing orbiters (have been using Langston's touch orbiter up until now).

I will test new orbiter generation with my new RC.

Tested on both an HTC Desire HD and Advent Vega tablet.

I DID notice that the screen doesn't quite go to the left and right edges of the tablet (running honeycomb) whereas it always did on the previous touch orbiter - I assume this is due to the task bar at the bottom.

I also agree that haptic feedback would be the icing on the cake.

Thanks for creating it, I am enjoying using it.

Cheers,
Matt.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 09:38:40 am »
Hi,

I'm trying it on Dianemo and seems that something is missing in Dianemo... I've entered credentials and then did Validate Credentials...

What should happen next if it works ?
I have all choices empty in Orbiter Specific section....

Thanks,

regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 04:12:22 pm »
I'm not even sure it would work on Dianemo.

-Thom

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 08:50:41 pm »
Hi,

I'm trying it on Dianemo and seems that something is missing in Dianemo... I've entered credentials and then did Validate Credentials...

What should happen next if it works ?
I have all choices empty in Orbiter Specific section....

Thanks,

regards,

Bulek.

Earlier versions of this version of Touch Orbiter work fine on Dianemo. However I'm not familiar with what was updated in this version and that may be causing an issue. One of my co-workers is testing with some Android tablets so i will ask him to test this.

Regards

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

Esperanto

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 09:42:27 am »
the
 - name
 - resolution
 - room
do not seem to be stored in the webadmin.

what would be nice is if you could select the feedback type after a selection (the other orbiter gave vibration). It also would be nice if the id of the device would be displayed on the settings page.

nicely done again.

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 11:49:44 pm »
Tested new orbiter generation on 1004 RC (HTC Desire HD) and it works very well, although have to select resolution manually in webadmin.

Cheers,
Matt.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps