Author Topic: Disabling the on screen orbiter.  (Read 11545 times)

ranpow

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Disabling the on screen orbiter.
« on: December 23, 2012, 12:48:56 pm »
Hi,
What is the best way to disable the on screen orbiter?
Iv tried to delete it but it regen again on next reboot.
The startup batch files are massive and will be very hard to track.

Many thanks,

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: Disabling the on screen orbiter.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 04:57:13 pm »
The onscreen orbiter is responsible for switch screens around, so it must run. And atm there is no provision to not show a menu at all.

_if_

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 05:56:30 pm »
why are you trying to do that? you can boot into the kde desktop by clicking the button at the onscreen orbiter, if that is what you want to do...?

ardirtbiker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 11:15:03 pm »
Are you wanting a 'headless' core?   If so, the latest 1004 LMCE installs have an option for that, and I believe there is a 'switch' in the pluto.conf file to do the same thing.

Dennis

ranpow

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 12:46:35 am »
denis, would you mind explaining me what is headless core?
The resone id like to not show this is because of all the bugs and the complexcity in creating skin
I realy rather see just a nice picture, the onscreen orbiter is incomplete and full of bugs
Im not complaing, its an open source project and all my respects but is still in beta
so if you want puting it in your living room you beter put a desktop and screensaver :)
and work with the web GUIs for configs.

ardirtbiker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 02:32:41 am »
A headless core would not have the graphic interface.. you would have just a desktop.   You would not be able to do much with it other than administer the system.   If you have only ONE computer you are using, then a headless core is not what you are wanting.   I have a server in my back room that has all my drives and provides other media as well.. then a media director in my living room and another in the bedroom.    My server is the core but also a media director (a core/hybrid) and the living room and bedroom are just media directors.  My server could have been set up without the LMCE graphic interface.

You wont be able to do much with the system (media-wise) without the LMCE graphic interface.

Dennis
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 02:34:44 am by ardirtbiker »

SBCC

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 03:29:10 am »
ranpow

Could you please explain what bugs you are referring to in the orbiter? I have orbiters running on all sorts of hardware using UI1 and UI2 and have never experienced any problems. As for the screensaver LMCE comes with a screen saver. It is a picture viewer that randomly displays pictures downloaded from flicker. That I feel is truly wonderful.

If I may suggest do a fresh install from the latest dvd snap. Do the dvd install not the internet. Meaning burn a dvd or install onto a stick. Follow the onscreen prompts then let us know if you still experience any problems or difficulties. A lot of the problems you are experiencing may be due to your desire to "hack" where it may not be needed.

ranpow

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 08:32:09 am »
Thanks for the sugestunes, i have no desire for hacking :) maybee fix something and also post paches if i possible
i just want it to work normaly, iv tried few of the latest dev snapshots and all have diferent issues.

- install 1(version 8) - no support to my nvidia card, external HD very not stable
it find it then add it then add it again after each reboot and its quit annoing cause the gui stops and ask for user input
- install 1(version 10) - came up with an old skin and i couldnt change that from the web UI same HD problem
- install 2(version 10) -  crashed on the middle of the install
- install 3(version 10) - installed ok but the same issues with the onscreen orbiter, crashing, wrong on screen messages etc..

All version 10 has issues with crashed xine(i posted the logs on other thread)
Version 8 and 10 doesnt support UTF8 id3 tagging, you put a cd disc in and see squares insted of the artist or songs

SBCC

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 01:56:00 pm »
Hi ranpow

Please follow the directions on this page http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Installing_1004

Grab the latest snapshot from here http://linuxmce.iptp.org/snapshots/

Like I mentioned before use the DVD method. Then post your issues along with the steps that you took to get there and also the specific hardware you have ie cpu family and model etc..

As for the id3 tagging info. All my music is mp3 so I cannot comment on CDs but on the mp3s we build the id3 information ourselves in the web admin. I pretty sure that there is nothing in place right now to grab the track info off the input stream.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 02:10:17 pm »
[..]All my music is mp3 so I cannot comment on CDs but on the mp3s we build the id3 information ourselves in the web admin. I pretty sure that there is nothing in place right now to grab the track info off the input stream.

Whenever some DVD or CD media gets inserted, LinuxMCE checks online for data about the media, and populates the playlist accordingly.

SBCC

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 03:09:38 pm »
Thanks for that information posde. That is great to see how that gets handled. On that subject, is the intention for lmce to continue using xine with 12.04?

Thanks

ranpow

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 05:29:37 pm »
Posdee, iv noticed that. What would you suggest then? :)
I cant read songs its realy not nice. It will be much better to have the option to choose
In my case(probebly others) its way better not to pull and tag the songs
Just show tracks.

Probebly not a bug just unstable tagging services or encoding along the way
regarding the encoding, i tried few configs and some tests nothing work
better to have the option or at list choose the service.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 05:51:03 pm »
On that subject, is the intention for lmce to continue using xine with 12.04?

There is currently noone doing anything else, except maybe for golgoj who is looking into bundling qOrbiter with a media playing engine directly.

SBCC

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2012, 11:42:52 pm »
Ok I have some ideas for vlc. I know this has been brought up a lot. But I'm looking at something basic 1st then maybe expand. Sorry for the hijack ranpow.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2012, 12:10:27 am »
If anyone is serious about adding another media player engine, please talk to me, as I have extensive experience. You will need c++ programming experience as a prerequisite.

-thom