Author Topic: Z-Wave - Aeon, HA07 and SUC/SIS  (Read 8185 times)

B34N

• Guru
    • View Profile
Z-Wave - Aeon, HA07 and SUC/SIS
« on: December 16, 2012, 09:27:46 pm »
I've been reading the SUC/SIC instructions at http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/ZWave#SUC.2FSIS_Mode_.28recommended.29 but I'm having some difficulty.

I have a AEON stick and a number of HA07 controllers. I had no difficulty resetting all of the devices. The AEON stick added with no problems and I was left with devices "ZWave Embedded Climate Interfa", "ZWave Embedded Security Interf" and "ZWave Controller" under Zwave. The next step is where I'm a bit unsure what to do. I chose the "Add Node" send command from Zwave (Not from ZWave Controller, because there was no option there). It's at this point I'm not sure that I need to do. Which button do I hit on the HA07? The above referenced instructions do not indicate. I tried a few, but got nothing in return.

In an attempt to figure this out on my own, I was able to add the HA07 to the network by making it a slave. The problem is that when the HA07 is a slave I can't get it into include mode.

Might I be trying to do something for the wrong reason? I was just hoping to simplify adding back my 30 Z-Wave devices to the network? What I really want to do is setup channels on my HA07s to run LMCE scenarios. Can this be done?

Any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 10:52:22 pm by st8ofmi9d »

B34N

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Z-Wave - Aeon, HA07 and SUC/SIS
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 01:18:21 am »
As I said in my original post, I'm trying to get some old Intermatic remotes to work under SUC/SIS. I'm not really sure if my goal is correct.

Here's the situation:
1 AEON II stick (currently running as Master)
3 HA07 controllers
1 HA09 controller
~30 z-Wave switches

I have used LMCE and Z-Wave with "respond to events" (timed and sunset)to control my Z-Wave devices for simple things like turn on Christmas lights at a certain time and turn on Outside landscaping lights at sunset. What I want to do is also use the Intermatic remotes to send the same commands if we want to turn off or on lights before they are scheduled. Sure, I can set the remotes to slaves and then replicate the networks and manually program in the channel setting for each remote. However, with ~30 devices and four remotes programming in the channel settings is daunting considering it will need to be repeated for each of the Intermatic remotes. Is there a way that I can setup channel settings for each of the buttons and then send those out to the slave controllers through LMCE and the master AEON...maybe set a scenario to a button?

How can I troubleshoot my Z-Wave network? I went through with the AEON stick and started adding devices. Most went perfectly but a few a giving me problems. I have a couple of devices that don't respond to the commands that I sent them to. Is this because they are associated with the AEON stick/LMCE incorrectly? Considering the number of devices and the size of my house, i can't see that it's a distance problem. If I want to try again, what the best way to remove a device from the network and add again? If I remove teh device through the admin screen is that the same as removing it from the stick?

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 12:00:28 pm »
 you should not add the devices with the aeon stick button but with an inclusion controller. I'm not sure if the HA07/09 can do this but all recently made portable controllers support inclusion controller mode. Use the "Add node" in the web admin to add the controller. You need to consult your controllers manual to identify the key press/sequence needed on the HA07/09 to get it included as inclusion controller. Then add your devices with the HA07/09.

br Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

B34N

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 02:59:25 pm »
you should not add the devices with the aeon stick button but with an inclusion controller. I'm not sure if the HA07/09 can do this but all recently made portable controllers support inclusion controller mode. Use the "Add node" in the web admin to add the controller. You need to consult your controllers manual to identify the key press/sequence needed on the HA07/09 to get it included as inclusion controller. Then add your devices with the HA07/09.

Thank you for the response. The instructions for the HA07/09 are pretty poor. I can set it up as a slave, copy over the network and copy over the scenes. I'm guessing that this is not the same as being an inclusions remote and that these units cannot support SUC/SIS.

If I abandon the SUC/SIS route, is there any reason why I shouldn't be using the AEON to add devices or is your response above about not using the AEON to include devices only if I want to move forward with SUC/SIS?

Since I already have the HA7s and HA09, is there any way I can assign scenarios, or even groups to a button on the remote?

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 11:47:31 pm »
I don't like using the built in button in bigger networks as SIS mode makes things much easier and you get a flawless routing table.

B34N

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Z-Wave - Aeon z-Stick, Aeon Minimote and SUC/SIS
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 12:45:25 am »
I received my Minimote from LMCEcompatible.com. I went through and followed the instructions on how to set the minimote up as an inclusion remote. It worked well and I was able to get most of my z-wave devices up an running with very little pain. Unfortunately the minimote was deleted from the list of devices under z-wave. I think it happened when I unintentionally entered the setup wizard. It saw my devices and asked me if I wanted to set them up. Since they were already setup and working I chose to cancel but the name of my z-stick was changed and my minimote was removed. Can I restore my minimote? All of my z-wave devices are still associated with the minimote (all on and all off works) and it seems to still be working as an inclusion remote.

For some reason, a few of my z-wave devices are not able to successfully get included on the network. I believe one of these devices might be defective, but the other two were in good working condition in my last network. Is it possible they are still associated with another network and unable to be added to the new network? I also noticed that LMCE would add a Z-wave device even if the minimote responded that the inclusion was not successful. It would actually add multiple instances of the device in the device tree for each unsuccessful inclusion attempt with the mote. How should I be removing these non-functioning z-wave devices? Does deleting them in web admin remove them from the network? How about excluding them with the inclusion controller (but I guess that would only work if inclusion was successful)?

The good news is that the routing for my Z-ware network seems to be much better than before. My devices (when properly included) seem to be responding 100% of the time.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 10:20:19 pm »
you should reset every device with a controller before including it again.

B34N

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 11:52:58 pm »
you should reset every device with a controller before including it again.

Thank you for the response. I don't see anything in the instructions on how to reset a device. I can reset a controller, the controller's network and the controller's channels...but nothing on resetting a device. Would removing the device using a controller reset the device even if the device was never on that controller's network? Is the reason why I'm resetting each device is because they may be configured with another home ID? (I'm trying to learn how Z-wave actually works)

After I reset every device, I'm guessing (actually sure if it's for the above reason) that I need to go back and add them all again. Does each device have it's own unique identifier (Node ID is network specific, right?) such as a MAC address? If so, can i locate that information in the Web Admin? Keeping a record of those IDs along with their current names would make re-adding everything a bit easier.

Does the "Backup Child Devices" option for the Z-Wave devices do exactly what it implies and give me a backup file to restore from in case I screw something up again?

Thank you!

B34N

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 06:51:05 pm »
I was able to reset each Z-wave device on my network. I learned that even if you no longer have the master controller assigned to a device, you can reset a device with any other master controller that has at least one device in it's network. To reset the device just follow that controllers instructions for removing a device from the network.

I did have one device that failed with the inclusion remote on my first attempt. (minimote showed a red led) I made a second attempt to include the device using the minimote which showed as successful. After doing a quick reload I noticed that the device was added twice to the devices list. Is this a bug that I should report?