Author Topic: Cannot make an internet connection after installing Kubuntu 8.10 from 0810 DVD  (Read 4073 times)

casar

• View Profile
Hi all,

I coming back to Linux after many years on Mac and Windows.
I am trying to install MCE on a Lenovo X201 laptop. I downloaded the dvd image and started the installation of Linux MCE. I got Kubuntu 8.10 installed. Then when I wnated to install MCE I discovered that I do not have a connection to my router. I digged on the internet for a solution. I edited my /etc/network interfaces file and now it looks like this:

auto l0
iface l0 inet loopback

auto pan0
iface pan0 inet dhcp

I also made an edit on /etc/resolv.conf and now it looks like this:

### Hetzner Online AG installimage
#nameserver config
nameserver 192.168.2.254

Another edit I made was on /etc/dhcp3/dhcpclient.conf: the line
#prepend domain-name-servers 192.168.2.254;
is exactly as in the quote.

I ran sudo service networking restart and the ping to 192.168.2.254 fails successfully.

Any ideas?

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Do yourself a favor and download the latest snapshot image from http://linuxmce.iptp.org/snapshots

casar

• View Profile
Thank you for answering! I downloaded LMCE-1004-20120909134326459.iso     09-Sep-2012 14:15 but it seems that the image is not creating a boot disk.
I downloaded LMCE-1004-20121021160926579.iso     21-Oct-2012 18:15 and I am having some problems burning it because my external DVD drive it doesn't get recognized anymore by Windows and no chance in Ubuntu either...

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Seems like you should make sure to check that your download is accurate using the md5 information available. Also, it makes sense to always download the latest snapshot if possible. But to me, it sounds like your hardware might have a problem or two.

casar

• View Profile
It got the latest build correctly in the end and installed it successfully. Now I have other networking issues but i think they should go into a different thread.

Thanks a lot for your advices!

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
You are welcome. And if you feel like it, why don't you donate a bit. A link is on http://www.linuxmce.org