Author Topic: LMCE - I want to do it correctly this time - Z-Wave and MythTV  (Read 3569 times)

B34N

• Guru
    • View Profile
LMCE - I want to do it correctly this time - Z-Wave and MythTV
« on: December 31, 2012, 12:17:32 am »
    I've been "using" LMCE for a bit over two years now, but I have yet to get it running 100% the way that I want it to. I blame myself for not buying the right hardware and not putting in enough time to get it running. I'm now to the point where I can't stand it any longer and I want to get it running as it should even if it means buying new hardware. Comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I want to do it correctly this time.

My top priorities in order are:
  • Z-Wave automation (working flawlessly)
  • MythTV recording of clear QAM channels
  • Streaming music (preferably Pandora but I'm willing to switch)
  • Android phones and tablets as orbiters

I already own:
Core/hybrid
In 2010 I bought a barebones core hybrid from LMCEcompatible.com. I don't know what's in it but it was a lower cost option when I bought it. I'm fine swapping out CPU and motherboard for something faster, but I don't expect to use it often as a MD.

Z-Wave
  • ~30 Intermatic Z-wave outlets, switches and modules. (Not willing to replace)
  • AEON II Stick
  • Intermatic HA07 (x3) and HA09 (Would like to use but can part with)

Tuners
  • Happauge HVR-2250
  • Happauge WinTV-HVR-950Q (USB)

The house is wired with Cat-6 which terminates in my basement where I keep the core and the routers. There are two zones of in-wall speakers which are also terminated in my basement. The in-wall speakers are only used for music and are powers by an old receiver which I which I manually turn off and on.

After a lot of trial and error, I had the Z-wave devices working pretty much flawlessly. That was until I decided to wipe my core and try to get MythTV working. Now, I'm having what I believe to be routing issues. Since SIS is recommended over using the built-in inclusion button on my AEON stick, I'm ready to buy a minimote even though I don't really need it for anything other than using it for SIS.  Is it silly to spend the money on it?

I never got MythTV to work with LMCE. I'm not new to MythTV and I've been using it on a Mythbuntu server on a separate network for almost four years now. I'm guessing part of my problem is compatibility issues with the HVR-2250 which does not get automatically recognized by LMCE. I'm fine buying a HDHomeRun duel tuner to replace the 2250 if that's the way to go. Even though my Comcast provider is not currently encrypting basic cable, I know that the cable companies in the US are now allowed to encrypt even broadcast channels. Should I consider getting a cable card ready tuner or will that never with with linux? When they do encrypt, will I be able to

Media Directors
I currently only have the core/hybrid. Once I get that running I would like to purchase one or two small footprint barebones PCs to use to use as MDs. I was thinking of a Zotac but I'm open to anything that will work well and will not have overheating issues in a 78 degree room.

Thank you in advance for your help,
B34N

SBCC

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: LMCE - I want to do it correctly this time - Z-Wave and MythTV
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 01:41:47 am »
I have a HVR-2250 and it is kind of a pain to get working. I developed a script to get it working as I kept forgetting. The only thing is that I don't think that Steve Toth is supporting the driver anymore. I have not been able to find it after he changed his website.

B34N

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 04:09:57 am »
I have a HVR-2250 and it is kind of a pain to get working. I developed a script to get it working as I kept forgetting. The only thing is that I don't think that Steve Toth is supporting the driver anymore. I have not been able to find it after he changed his website.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Since I posted my initial message I purchased the AEON remote from lmcecompatible.com (Thank you Tom for being so very quick to respond and ship). I was going to stop there for the moment until I saw the Silicon Dust HDHR3 go on sale at Amazon for $129. I now have that on the way. Hopefully those two devices will solve my Z-Wave and MythTV issues. I decided to get the Prime because it said that any "copy-freely" channels will still work with LMCE. That's currently the only type of content I record so I hope/expect I'll be fine if/when my cable provider encrypts those channels.

huh

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 06:17:55 am »
I too would benefit from integration of the prime, but don't that is an option until mythtv 0.25 or later is accepted.