Author Topic: Virtual Sound Cards  (Read 4976 times)

SBCC

• Guru
    • View Profile
Virtual Sound Cards
« on: November 28, 2012, 04:31:37 am »
Hello,

Following L3mce's suggestion I took a look at the most recent version of SetupAudioVideo.sh and noticed some big changes notably a Virtual Sound Card function. he mentioned Radu was working on this. I am working on improving squeezeslave and this appears to be pointed in that direction. I looked at the device templates and the 2223 template does not look like what the code would be looking for so I'm thinking this is still under development. Any word on where this stands? Anything I can do to help? My knowledge of bash in limited but growing.

huh

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Virtual Sound Cards
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 06:34:45 am »
I am working on improving squeezeslave

Have you been watching Logitech's move (apparently) away from SB to the new UE?  Will this have any impact on what you're trying to do?

SBCC

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 07:41:29 am »
Not really. The UE radio uses its own UE media server. Lmce currently uses squeeze server. The 2 are apparently incompatible. That may not mean that UE media server will not be able to make use of squeezeslave and that UE media server cannot be integrated into lmce in the future. The UE devices require an internet connection so that makes one think of where the media server is located and why....

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 07:42:39 am »
It has been made _very_ clear, that the future of Logitech audio devices rests with UE. Some management upstairs has decided that cloud based music services are the only thing they want to push to their customers.

-Thom

SBCC

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 03:26:17 am »
Radu any chance of adding your virtual sound card template?

SBCC

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 04:16:25 am »
Ok I have completed putting this together so we can use it.

Right now it is kind of tied to Squeezeslave and then to a SqueezeBox player. Theoretically it could be setup to work as the primary output on an MD but it is a long way from there. What it does do is create a sound device out of unused sound ports or sound cards. Right now it is limited to 1-2 channels. I am wondering if there is any desire to use this as multichannel (more than 2) or surround sound. This is possible but I do not see, for my purposes, a use for this so I left it out. It can be used on any MD. Meaning any available audio output hardware, usb or any jack, attached to any md can be mapped to a Squeeseslave then to a SqueezeBox player. The great thing about this is that it is persistant. Meaning the Virtual device is mapped to a PCI location so if you add or remove sound hardware the virtual device resolves fine at squeezeslave restart.

With this setup the Squeezeslave template has changed a bit. The launcher is different and there are two additional methods of choosing the audio output device. The old method of entering a squeezeslave -L device number (kept to maintain backward compatibility), selecting via pull down list a sound card listed by hardware, or by entering the device number of a Virtual Audio Device. This last option is tied to a newer version of Squeezeslave (1.2-xx).

I have not added anything for the new squeezeslave code in my ticket. It is a little large to upload. If someone could, let me know if the new verison can or will be added to the repository. If needed I can add some code to use the version currently in lmce.

I've tested it. But more would be nice.

Thanks