Author Topic: mythtv issue....it does not seem to be a version problem...any ideas guys? FIXED  (Read 7610 times)

Newguy2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Good day and happy holidays gentleman, Somehow my mythtv suddenly stopped working and began asking for a database update and will not allow any other setup options to become available.  what can i do? Is it possible to uninstall and reinstall just mythtv or do i need to re-install the entire system? I have everything setup well, it would suck to have to do a reinstallation. thanks in advance guys.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 02:30:27 am by Newguy2 »

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: mythtv issue
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 03:15:09 pm »
You might run mythdatabasefill from a terminal...

but I dunno why it would have "just stopped working" and complained about the db... can I see an actual output or screenshot?
I never quit... I just ping out.

Newguy2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 03:49:45 pm »
You might run mythdatabasefill from a terminal...

but I dunno why it would have "just stopped working" and complained about the db... can I see an actual output or screenshot?

2012-11-26 09:43:13.639 MythTV database schema is old. Waiting to see if DB is being upgraded.
2012-11-26 09:43:14.639 New DB connection, total: 2
2012-11-26 09:43:14.641 Connected to database 'mythconverg' at host: localhost
2012-11-26 09:43:14.646 No current database version?
2012-11-26 09:43:15.656 No current database version?
2012-11-26 09:43:16.667 No current database version?
2012-11-26 09:43:17.678 No current database version?
2012-11-26 09:43:18.693 No current database version?
2012-11-26 09:43:18.701 Timed out waiting.
2012-11-26 09:43:18.701 Not allowed to upgrade the database. Skipping backup.

This version of MythTV requires an updated database. (schema is 1254 versions behind)

Please run mythtv-setup or mythbackend to update your database.

Database Host: localhost
Database Name: mythconverg

2012-11-26 09:43:18.775 Incorrect database schema
2012-11-26 09:43:18.776 DataDirect: Deleting temporary files

Newguy2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 04:01:52 pm »
here's what i get when i attempt start mythtv....

Newguy2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 06:09:21 pm »
Am I in for re-installation or does anyone have any ideas? kinda hold on to hope that i dont have to lose and redo everything i have going with the sytem since my last backup  ;D

mkbrown69

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 10:02:20 pm »
Newguy2,

On your core, run

sudo dpkg -s mythtv-frontend | grep Version

If Version is greater than 0.23, then you've installed a newer mythtv version than is presently supported on LinuxMCE.  Some surgery may be required to restore it to a working version...

Hope that helps!

/Mike

Newguy2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 03:14:59 am »
funny thing is that it started displaying a message following completing a a episode or show when watching live tv, then the message about updating the database showed up out of nowhere. i didn't do anything thing that would cause that to my knowledge, but i will try to run the command you suggested when my wife finishing using the tv which is connected to the core and used as a monitor also  ;). thanks 

Newguy2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 02:51:34 pm »
Newguy2,

On your core, run

sudo dpkg -s mythtv-frontend | grep Version

If Version is greater than 0.23, then you've installed a newer mythtv version than is presently supported on LinuxMCE.  Some surgery may be required to restore it to a working version...

Hope that helps!

/Mike

Here's the output ....0.23.0+fixes24158-0ubuntu2....what can i do?

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 05:16:39 pm »
sudo /usr/share/doc/mythtv-backend/contrib/maintenance/optimize_mythdb.pl

Does this change your ability to backup and upgrade? Though... I don't know why it would upgrade to begin with.

If this doesn't help you can try this hack...
sudo -i

dpkg-query -l "*myth*" | grep ^ii | awk '{print $2}' | while read myths; do apt-get -yf install --reinstall "$myths"; done
This will reinstall all myth related packages... don't know how that will go.

Is this an XFS file system by chance?

If these don't work for you, drop into IRC and I will try and help. There will just be too much back and forth here. We can update the thread with the problem and solution afterwards.
I never quit... I just ping out.

Newguy2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: mythtv issue....it does not seem to be a version problem...any ideas guys?
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 06:30:35 pm »
ok thanks, really appreciate the reply, will do when i arrive home, thanks again.

Newguy2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 02:30:02 am »
sudo /usr/share/doc/mythtv-backend/contrib/maintenance/optimize_mythdb.pl

Does this change your ability to backup and upgrade? Though... I don't know why it would upgrade to begin with.

If this doesn't help you can try this hack...
sudo -i

dpkg-query -l "*myth*" | grep ^ii | awk '{print $2}' | while read myths; do apt-get -yf install --reinstall "$myths"; done
This will reinstall all myth related packages... don't know how that will go.

Is this an XFS file system by chance?

If these don't work for you, drop into IRC and I will try and help. There will just be too much back and forth here. We can update the thread with the problem and solution afterwards.

l3mce YOU ARE THE GREATEST!!!!......alongside Hari and Thom who have assisted me in the past also....you guys are the reason some of us who are still trying to learn the intricacies of LMCE, don't get frustrated and throw things out the window. Thank you and and thank all you guys, i don't forget and i very much appreciate it all. Thanks guys!

for those whom may encounter a similar issue this it what fixed my problem:

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Does anybody knows the cause of the problem?

ardirtbiker

• Guru
    • View Profile

I remember seeing this in my 2nd grade math book    <grin>     Um not really... thats freeking awesome

Dennis

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home

basically says:

* Get me a list of all packages that have the name myth in it.
* Limit the list to installed packages (the line starts with ii)
* Output only the second field of said list (the name of the package)
* Use the resulting output and step through. Each time assigning the line to the variable myths. and use apt-get install to install that package again, even if it already installed. And do not ask questions.

As you can see, L3mce really learned A LOT bash in the past couple of month. LinuxMCE == your perfect playground to learn Linux inside and out :D