Author Topic: Help me price and spec this luxury condo!  (Read 10006 times)

torontob

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Help me price and spec this luxury condo!
« on: October 24, 2012, 07:45:06 pm »
Hi everyone,

I am a Linux and Asterisk expert. I have had a chance to install LinuxMCE 3 years ago and it was too complicated back then as it needed a full server.....

1- I am wondering if things are changed or not. I am looking for a simpler appliance that controls lights, thermostat, door locks, and shades. A TV connection may not be needed. All of it to be controlled by a remote and a hand-held + iPhone, Android. Is this possible with LinuxMCE?

2- Can you please complete my list below for equipment I may need:

2x Bedrooms
1x Kitechen
1x Hall > 6 Windows
1x Foyer
1x Dinning Room > 6 Windows

Above is what is the layout of the condo. So, what equipment do I need?

Server
UPS
Controllers? Switches? Relays? IR Receivers/Transmitters?

Thanks

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Help me price and spec this luxury condo!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 09:19:34 pm »
So…you want us to do all your homework for you?

um… no. :)

Go do some research, and come back with some more informed questions, and we'll be more than happy to help :)

-Thom

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 11:20:07 pm »
If you do not want the media part, look at MiCasa Verde's Vera.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 11:31:44 pm »
or at ago control
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

torontob

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 02:51:30 am »
If you do not want the media part, look at MiCasa Verde's Vera.

Thanks for the input posde. Are you saying that LinuxMCE would be an overkill for my application?

tschak909: I don't want you to do my homework, and I am ready the Wiki but it would be great to get quick price point to put this again another appliance like MiCasa to decide which one is feasible given the budget before I spend way too much time into this. Don't get me wrong, I like LinuxMCE and that is why I am here or else many other choices are out there but I would like to make it the one if possible.

microbrain

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • Full Home Technology Solutions
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 04:27:47 am »
torontob,

In answer to your question, yes all that is possible plus more. Now, you must know that I'm a "neeeewbeee" on this site, but even being new and after reading all I have been able to you can do the requested plus more.

The advantage of going with LMCE is that you also have the ability for media (video/music), telephone (asterisk) and what ever your mind can come up with. Now being an asterisk and linux "expert" as you put it I don't think the full blown system would be a prob, but as posde was (I think) suggesting was that if you don't need media, asterisk and other things that there are more simpler ways of just controlling lights, curtains, thermostats, etc....

Most of the manufactures of lighting controls, thermostats, curtain climbers offer controllers that will control their devices. Do a google search for "home automation equipment" and you will see that.

Now to my main question for you. If in fact you are a asterisk expert, you also know that this is doable within asterisk. Controlling of the less advanced stuff like light switches, door bell monitoring and control, video surveillance  can be done through asterisk and the sms module even using twitter as the access to the controllers. I've been doing it that way for a few years. I came to LMCE to go advanced by including media and having one type of controller I could depend on for all functions.

Now, I'm not for sure but from what I have seen on here I think the forum would welcome your expertise in the area of asterisk and would hope that maybe you will stick around and grow with the rest of us. I am a ACE, but even so, I can always use other peoples input for I'm not a master by any means.

That's my input. Stick around, who knows it might be interesting.

microbrain

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 08:18:25 pm »
Thanks for the input posde. Are you saying that LinuxMCE would be an overkill for my application?

If you do not want any of the media or telecom stuff, go and get something that you go and buy for little money.

torontob

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 08:51:09 pm »
If you do not want any of the media or telecom stuff, go and get something that you go and buy for little money.

posde, thanks for the feedback. Seems like Micasa Verde does do lights, locks, and thermostat but I can't seem to find shades. How are shades / curtains controlled? do they have to be a specific type?

microbrain: thanks for your input. Yes, I am a linux expert - been at it for the past 6 years. But that won't cut it when it comes to GUI and a solution you want to sell and forget about.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 08:51:46 pm »
Shades work as well.

torontob

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 06:47:05 am »
Thanks again. Are there specific shades that I should look for or is there a module (motor or something) that works with any shades? Please link.

Thanks

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 02:55:17 pm »
Any motorized shade can be automated.

torontob

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 06:52:59 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. Are these the motorized shades you are referring too? These seem too over-priced for the job they do. I have 8 small windows.

http://www.smarthome-products.com/c-64-motorized-blinds-and-drapery.aspx

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 08:17:02 pm »
None of those look like what I know about. You might want to ask a local electrician about this. Adding a motor to blinds/drapes whatever is not a LinuxMCE question per se. Once you have a motor you can control it with LinuxMCE.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 08:19:18 pm »
and with ago control :-)
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

torontob

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 08:31:38 pm »
None of those look like what I know about. You might want to ask a local electrician about this. Adding a motor to blinds/drapes whatever is not a LinuxMCE question per se. Once you have a motor you can control it with LinuxMCE.

Thanks for the info again. Let's say I have a motorized shade in place. How would Linux MCE control it? What is the controller unit? Do I need to run Cat5e to the shade motor? or just provide it power in control room and control it there?

Thanks