Author Topic: What options available for a condo door?  (Read 4752 times)

torontob

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
What options available for a condo door?
« on: November 09, 2012, 12:21:29 am »
Hi everyone,

I live in a condo and I can't change the lock as it won't be uniform with other doors when looking from outside. So, I have to stick to the current lock. What kind of a motor or controller is available to me to use with the lock?

I can work on the door as long as things remain hidden. I am keen as to how the module or controller will be powered (wiring etc...)

Picture from outside:

Picture from inside:

Lock side:

Lock Cavity Side:

Thanks

acald

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: What options available for a condo door?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 01:41:30 am »
This looks like a perfect fit for the deadbolt replacement by Kwikset http://www.kwikset.com/Products/Details/Electronic-Locks/910TRL-ZW-L03-SMT.aspx
There are some great deals on ebay for these.

IF (and its a big if) we can get the zwave encryption working.

See this link for a previous conversation about it. http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php/topic,12277.0.html http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php/topic,12277.0.html

acald

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile

acald

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 01:51:06 am »
In my research there are two things that you want to do:

1. Confirm the door is closed (the latch in the locked position is no good if the door is not closed  ;) )

2. Confirm the door is locked

so in addition to the lock you'll need a door sensor.

torontob

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 06:42:28 am »
acald, thanks a lot for the input.

I thought this would be easier and I maybe able to find like a plate that retracts in and out and the lock always stays locked. So, the retraction of the lock cavity open the door or closes it. I think that would have been a better solution. But probably this is a liability issue why there are not many options.

So my questions:

1- How do you propose this item to be used: http://www.kwikset.com/Products/Details/Electronic-Locks/910TRL-ZW-L03-SMT.aspx
as I mentioned I can't install something like this because the door will different from outside and that is not allowed in the condominium.

2- Why is there a need for a sensor to know if lock is locked or not? Would the mechanism to lock have that sensor built in? or do you mean to full-proof it?

3- For the z-wave lock and for the sensor (if one is need), where do I get the power from? should I run some wires along the door and then to what?

4- What is the issue with encryption? I thought z-wave devices are universally accepted with LinuxMCE and MicasaVerde. Aren't they?

If you or anyone can clarify the points above it would be of great help to me.

Thanks again

SBCC

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 01:04:34 pm »
Try a concealed electromagnetic lock. Keep the manual look and use as needed. You should not rely on an electric lock to bolt or unbolt in cases of emergency. Look around there's a bunch out there.

torontob

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 08:42:42 pm »
Thanks for feedback SBCC. Can you please link me to a sample of magnetic lock that you have in mind?
Would a magnetic lock require cabling to run through the door to control room? If yes, how is that run around the door?

SBCC

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 12:58:50 am »
Metal plate goes on the door. Electromagnet goes on door frame. Switching can be done several ways depending on the hardware. Start with Google. Search for electromagnetic door locks or hold close. Think about your overall automation solution. Those devices can be as simple as a homemade unit switched at the power supply, to RF controlled high end.