Author Topic: [Solved] Failed to set up x on media director  (Read 2850 times)

SBCC

• Guru
    • View Profile
[Solved] Failed to set up x on media director
« on: October 21, 2012, 05:16:15 pm »
Ok I've run out of ideas here. I'm trying to setup a new media director and getting the dreaded "Failed To Setup X". There is no xorg.conf in /etc/X11 but there is a xorg.conf.pluto.avwizard. I've tried creating my own xorg.conf and deleting all the xorgs. No go.

Hardware on the MD is ASRock A55M-HVS, AMD A6, ASUS GT218 GeForce 8400 GS. All of this I guessed as compatible. I have had success in the past with the 8400. For
Code: [Select]
lsmod | grep nvidia I get nothing.
Code: [Select]
cat /proc/driver shows no such file or directory. Tried to install driver but cannot kill X.

So now I'm stuck. I just want to know if it's a compatibility issue or me as my bag of tricks is quite limited.

One thing to note if I remove the video card and go with the onboard "even HDMI" it works fine just not good enough. Also will not start AVWizard with that.

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 02:59:43 am by SBCC »

SBCC

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Failed to set up x on media director
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 02:59:05 am »
Ok this is solved.

The video driver was not being loaded. This is now working as of 26592. The card, as mentioned above is an "ASUS GT218 GeForce 8400 GS".
I liked it because it was fanless and cheap. Newegg like $29.00. The good news is it looks like HDMI audio is working too but not tested.

This is all due to L3mce efforts with much thanks!