Author Topic: Preliminary attpemt to support sandy/ivy bridge intel gpus  (Read 2487 times)

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Preliminary attpemt to support sandy/ivy bridge intel gpus
« on: October 17, 2012, 03:26:59 pm »
I have rewritten the detection scheme to try and handle sandy/ivy bridge, and there are a few caveats. This should be regarded as alpha, and I will try and support these, but if it becomes to huge a goose chase it may be dropped.

What is required for this on lucid, is a kernel upgrade either to natty or oneiric depending... and a bunch of new drivers etc. This all happens automatically, but... it takes a very long time, much longer than a normal first boot for either MD or Hybrid... and you are greeted only by a black screen. Just, leave it be. Interrupting this breaks things terribly. It will eventually reboot.

For ivy bridge, I believe it will come alive eventually, but be terribly slow/sluggish due to the fact that a driver is not actually being loaded. The kernel is just giving raw support. I would like for someone to help me by confirming that this is the case. lsmod | grep intel   should only reveal a bunch of sound modules, and lsmod | grep i9 will probably come up empty. IF that is the case, please add modprobe i915 to /etc/init.d/a0start_avwizard  after CheckVideoDriver and report success or failure, and confirm that this is in fact the case.

Thanks!
I never quit... I just ping out.

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Preliminary attpemt to support sandy/ivy bridge intel gpus
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 07:31:10 pm »
2 ivys and nothing nice. One up, but retarded and the other brain dead.

This is really a feature, not a bug fix, and we are in beta. I am abandoning this where it sits. It might work, might not, might be terrible. It is far enough along that others can hack on it themselves as the foundation is there, but sandy/ivy bridge is, at this moment, officially unsupported. I need to spend my time squashing bugs to get 1004 out of beta.

Thank you hipitihop and Platypus-Man for trying.
I never quit... I just ping out.