Author Topic: harmony remote and linux MCE  (Read 8602 times)

johne

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
harmony remote and linux MCE
« on: March 22, 2007, 10:58:16 pm »
i am really impressed with how the gyration mouse works with your interface.  looks like a very well thought out interface.  unfortunately, i feel like i finally got everything narrowed down to just one remote.  i can't get rid of the harmony cause i don't use my HTPC to do everything.  i'm guessing that you can still use keymaps, licr, etc to control linux MCE stuff without loosing alot of the cool features.

hopefully, gyration and logitech can get together and create a gyration/harmony with the features of a gyration mouse and the macro capabilities of a harmony remote.

ouie

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: harmony remote and linux MCE
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 11:38:05 pm »
with a bluetooth dongle you can use many cellphones as remotes. check out the posts in the archive about mobile "orbiter" (sp?). Also Linux MCE should Learn your IR remote codes and be smart enough to enable you to use "any" remote you have to navigate the orbitor on the MD (at least that was the case/goal in pluto.)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 10:17:22 am by ouie »

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 05:58:04 pm »
Simple solution for the Harmony Remote is to add the WinMCE control to its setup. LinuxMCE will recognize those commands. How the state management in Harmony will handle that remains to be seen.

I have used both and I'm less enthused about the gyro remote but everyone is different. My preference is a touchscreen.

Hugolp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 07:56:14 pm »
Simple solution for the Harmony Remote is to add the WinMCE control to its setup. LinuxMCE will recognize those commands. How the state management in Harmony will handle that remains to be seen.

I have used both and I'm less enthused about the gyro remote but everyone is different. My preference is a touchscreen.

Of course your preference is a touchscreen. Yours, mine, and everybody's. But you know how much a 26" touchscreen can cost?

Hugo

hondaman

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 09:12:37 pm »
Setting up the remote in mythtv was/is one of the most difficult things to do imo.  It would certainly be nice if somehow, someway, this was made easier. 

I'm sorry I dont have any useful suggestions on how to make this happen though.

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 10:30:49 pm »
I got a used 12" Elo LCD off eBay for $120 which works fine w/ Windows running a Windows Orbiter.

I think the strength is supporting multiple options so you are free to chose.

Hugolp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 08:37:13 pm »
One good solution is to get a Nokia 770 or if you want to pay more a Nokia 800 to control the system. They both have touchscreen and run linux on them.

Hugo