Author Topic: Can linux mce do all this?  (Read 10448 times)

scuzzo84

• View Profile
Can linux mce do all this?
« on: March 26, 2007, 07:36:48 pm »
Ok I like downloading lots of media via torrent such as albums and tv shows. Anyways right now I download them all on my desktop computer and then if its a dvd I burn it and than play on dvd player connected to dvd, and if its a divx file I burn a cd of that and it can play on my dvd player which has divx support. But say I wanted to make things easier, is there any software that will do this:

Basically I want to have a small computer sitting next to my big TV where I can use the tv to:

1. Surf the web
2. Be able to connect to the internet and browse sites and download media such as movies and music albums
3. Be able to pop a dvd/audio cd and have it rip it and store it and be able to play it back
4. Be able to pop in a media card, mmc, sd, and rest, and be able to browse pictures

How much would a computer also cost in able to do these things?

Hugolp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Can linux mce do all this?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 07:53:01 pm »
Yes linuxmce can do all that and more, much much more.

With a 300 euros computer you are more than capable.

Hugo

scuzzo84

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 09:50:56 pm »
Better yet, what hardware other than a normal computer do I need and what specs are acceptable? I am not trying to spend a lot of money, just enough to get the media center functioning w/o any problems.

Nebetsu

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 05:21:48 am »
I just want to do everything that nifty video showed plus play ROMs.

ChiefQualakon

• View Profile
    • 4FreeFile Productions
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 07:42:33 am »
Ok I like downloading lots of media via torrent such as albums and tv shows. Anyways right now I download them all on my desktop computer and then if its a dvd I burn it and than play on dvd player connected to dvd, and if its a divx file I burn a cd of that and it can play on my dvd player which has divx support. But say I wanted to make things easier, is there any software that will do this:

Basically I want to have a small computer sitting next to my big TV where I can use the tv to:

1. Surf the web
2. Be able to connect to the internet and browse sites and download media such as movies and music albums
3. Be able to pop a dvd/audio cd and have it rip it and store it and be able to play it back
4. Be able to pop in a media card, mmc, sd, and rest, and be able to browse pictures

How much would a computer also cost in able to do these things?

You don't really need anything other than a regular PC to do all that.

Hardware needed:
1.  Ethernet card
2.  Ethernet card
3.  CD/DVD Drive
4.  All in one card media reader

If you don't want to use any of the other stuff that LinuxMCE can do (like PVR and home automation) then you don't need any other hardware.

scuzzo84

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 06:26:40 pm »
1. Why would I need 2 ethernet cards?!
2. What about the video card? Dont I need a card so I can conncect the computer to the tv?

ChiefQualakon

• View Profile
    • 4FreeFile Productions
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 08:34:25 pm »
No, no, I'm just saying that's what's DEFINATLY required.  The video card/CPU/motherboard/RAM/case/fans/cables etc are all in a normal PC.  If you don't want to do video capturing, you don't need a tuner card.

Leviao

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 09:58:12 am »
If you want to connect the computer to the tv, you will probably need a graphics card with a s-vhs or composite out connector in the back. If you have big flat tv or a projector, you can probably use the VGA or DVI connector on the video card. Nvidia cards have better support for linux.

And I don't think of why you should need two network cards, probably some typo from previous poster.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 10:10:17 am by Leviao »

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 05:14:54 pm »
I don't think he meant you needed 2 cards!

"Ethernet Card" is simply the answer to the first two questions.......
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 08:48:58 am »
You use two ethernet cards to exploit the Firewall/DHCP server and Plug and Play setup features. Its possible to set it up with one but you lose the other features unless you use a specific configuration-

1) The DHCP server in your existing router/firewall must be disabled.
2) The core needs a fixed IP address and to be the DHCP server in another address block (e.g. fixed IP for the router is 192.168.0.1 (e.g.D-Link) Core IP is set to 192.168.0.2. Core offers DHCP addresses in 192.168.80.nnn range).

I use this  and it works but with Ubuntu getting Ubuntu's configuration to synchronize with LinuxMCE is not obvious.

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007, 11:39:52 am »
I am aware that if you are going for an all-singing-all-dancing config, you need 2 ethernet cards for the firewall, however the answers to the questions posed seemed (to some) to suggest that 2 were needed for simple web browsing etc. This isn't the case.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 01:07:09 pm by wierdbeard65 »
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65