Author Topic: Best way to control STB via usb-rs232?  (Read 2866 times)

Newguy2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Best way to control STB via usb-rs232?
« on: October 09, 2012, 06:03:41 pm »
Greetings,
I made a few attempts to use the directv.pl script found here:http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Controlling_DirecTV_Set_Top_Box_(STB)_via_USB_or_Serial. Unfortunately anything i put in the "External channel change command" parameter, makes mythtv stop working. I can control the stb in windows, but myth/lmce is giving me problems. Has anybody done this or know how to? any help will be appreciated. thanks in advance.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to control STB via usb-rs232?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 07:56:29 pm »
You are unfortunately, doing this very wrong. Stop ripping up the carpet and the floorboards, and the plumbing...

What you need to do, is make a device template for your set top box. See the DCT6412 device template for details. Define all of the commands that it has, and create little ruby snippets for them (usually <$"string to send"$>).. Once this is done, you can hook it up in the setup wizard, and MythTV will do the right thing.

-Thom

Newguy2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to control STB via usb-rs232?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 09:06:08 pm »
You are unfortunately, doing this very wrong. Stop ripping up the carpet and the floorboards, and the plumbing...

What you need to do, is make a device template for your set top box. See the DCT6412 device template for details. Define all of the commands that it has, and create little ruby snippets for them (usually <$"string to send"$>).. Once this is done, you can hook it up in the setup wizard, and MythTV will do the right thing.

-Thom

Ok thanks thom, give it a go when I get home