Author Topic: Package pluto-orbiter failed (/tmp/tmp.gUvug24519  (Read 9715 times)

sportman

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Package pluto-orbiter failed (/tmp/tmp.gUvug24519
« on: March 26, 2007, 05:57:45 pm »
During the installation of LinuceMCE I get this error Package pluto-orbiter failed (/tmp/tmp.gUvug24519...
It seems that the installation hung, should i restart it?

chronniff

• View Profile
Re: Package pluto-orbiter failed (/tmp/tmp.gUvug24519
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 05:10:02 am »
Yeah, I am currently having that problem, and I don't know whether I need to stop the installation or not because it definitely appears that it is stalled out, plus right before I get that failure message it reports that there are broken packages.....any ideas? I would really appreciate any input I am so anxious to get this darn thing working

dalla

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 08:51:21 am »
Got the exact same problem with broken packages and pluto-orbiter failed. Let it stand there over the night but nothing happend.

please...

chronniff

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 09:19:53 am »
I just did a fresh install of ubuntu and there was no more problem with that, now dealing with other issues after the installation though

John Taylor

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 03:58:15 pm »
I had the same problem with broken packages but that was on the old ISO and now there is a new one and it works fine.

awakatanka

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 04:06:25 pm »
I had the same problem with broken packages but that was on the old ISO and now there is a new one and it works fine.
Where to get it? And may be smart to put the right installer on the iso to, so you don't have to look for the right installer with the right iso.

dalla

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 08:08:27 am »
Downloaded the latest (what i hope is) via Torrent this time but the problem with pluto-orbiter is still there.

Could this have something to do with VM Ware 5.5.3 that im using? Does you other people that have the same problem using VM Ware to install LunixMCE?

arbrandes

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 12:43:25 pm »
Actually, the only way I installed and ran LinuxMCE successfully was using VMWare! More specifically, I'm running VMWare Server 1.0.2 (Build: 39867) on top of an Ubuntu 6.10 (Ubuntu 6.10 on an Ubuntu 6.10, how very fractal of me!).

See the following thread for details on my installation process:

http://forum.linuxmce.com/index.php?topic=1315.0

dalla

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 03:27:18 pm »
Got it to work!
Selected to install LinuxMCE as an application on top of Ubunto instead of a dedicated LinuxMCE.

No time to try it out!

cearum

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 05:38:00 am »
I am having the same trouble. I had a fresh install of Ubuntu, checked my LinuxMCE iso against the md5. I just don't see what's wrong with what I have. If anyone could help I would most appreciate it.

I retract that statement now: apparently you really can't use an ISO. If you are using one and get that message try burning the CD and run it that way.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 07:52:25 am by cearum »

John Taylor

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 10:08:49 am »
I think this may be the solution of your problem  http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/Installer_Problems#1._vim_package
Please let me know if it worked.

nikvdp

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 05:22:21 am »
I'm having the exact same problem, and the vim tip hasn't worked for me It looks like a dependency problem, so I even enabled the extra repositories and manually installed every package mentioned in the log (my log is identical to juster's) before running the install again, but it still dies at exactly the same spot.

Are you guys using custom kernels? That's the only thing I can think of that can cause this because I've tried it at least 5 times, all from fresh installs of the 6.10 livecd.  The only change I make is installing a custom kernel since my motherboard's ethernet + audio are not supported by the default 6.10 kernel.

pcguy-za

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 09:29:00 pm »
This problem stopped me too.  I got past it though..

On the 1st 2 tries I ran the ubuntu install and then let it update itself.  No-GO.
3rd time I did the ubuntu load. restarted and then went straight into the MCE install.  I used the default options.  It went through fine.

In this link http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php?title=Known_Issues&printable=yes at the end it mentions this issue and says that the repositories may not be avaiable all the time. the 3rd time lucky install that i did - did the MCE load late on sunday night so maybe this was the case and a low traffic time helped - but is think that MCE just prefers 6.10 as released.

Juliet Smith

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 01:44:10 pm »
If you get this error type in the console:

chroot /tmp/tmp.....
apt-get update
apt-get install pluto-orbiter

after it's finished return to the installation window (the small black window) and press CTRL+D to resume the installation from that point