Author Topic: LMCE controlling a router's Wifi?  (Read 3377 times)

pablito

• View Profile
LMCE controlling a router's Wifi?
« on: October 05, 2012, 05:25:54 pm »
Hi:

I don't like keeping the wifi enabled all the time. I have my reasons, but I'll just leave it at that.

What I'd like is to have the ability to turn on the wifi when I want/need it and then turn it off again when I no longer need it. And obviously, I'd like to do it more easily than having to log into the router and do it the 'long' way. I thought this could be done using the orbiter(s) and/or an X10 remote control (by sending a code), etc.  I haven't managed to find anything in the forums on this idea so correct me if I'm wrong.

I am using the Tomato router firmware at the moment and might replace it with OpenWRT (or a derivative) if needed. I believe I've found the CLI to toggle the wifi state (need to test) so I'd next need to write a script to be invoked by 'something' to perform the toggling. I thought the 'something' might be to xPL enable the router... I've seen a few things on their forums suggesting this. This would leave a few things to resolve:

1. Is there an xPL device for LMCE? If not, I'd have to create one which I guess would need to act as a bridge between DCE and xPL. I think I read a vague reference to this idea someplace, but I haven't found much meat around the subject. Has any work been done to bridge xPL to LMCE/DCE?

2. Given that the router is on the external LAN, that means that the core would need to reach out via its external LAN interface in order to send the xPL message to the route. This is already starting feel like I'm stepping outside of what LMCE 'should' or rather 'should not' be doing... well maybe, maybe not... dunno.

I thought I'd ask for feedback on the basic idea before I set out on any project. I've still got plenty more to keep me busy anyway.

Cheers,
Pab

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: LMCE controlling a router's Wifi?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 06:10:16 pm »
There is no xPL device. Feel free to create one. For turning on/off the WLAN of your router, see if you can specify some URL and create a little GSD Router device which sends the correct URL when Power On is selected or Power Off is selected.

pablito

• View Profile
Re: LMCE controlling a router's Wifi?
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 03:51:52 pm »
Having now read up a little on the GSD, your suggestion makes sense. :) I've found the CGI script the Tomato gui invokes to enable/disable radio so I'll give this a try... when I get another chance to work on this.