Author Topic: Linuxmce10.04 & AVWizard issue  (Read 12894 times)

marttoma

• View Profile
Linuxmce10.04 & AVWizard issue
« on: September 22, 2012, 12:20:38 am »
Hello,

I am trying to install linuxmce10.04 from ISO CD, during installation everything looks good, but I have issue with AVWizard:

1) AVWizard does not run automatically on the first startup after installation -> linuxmce window is small (800x600)
2) AVWizard does not start also by pressing Shift during reboot.
3) AVWizard does not start from linuxmce apps

No idea what is wrong. I am using integrated graphic card "AMD Radeon HD 6550D" in CPU (AMD A8 X4 3850).

Can someone help me?

Martin

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Linuxmce10.04 & AVWizard issue
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 12:55:26 am »
What is "going on" is that I have almost 0 intel and ati testers, as we have had pretty much "nvidia only" for 5 years.

The first issue you have... avwizard should absolutely run. I do not understand how it would not. The small size... if it is in avwiz, should be resolved when you choose a resolution. I would recommend moving your /etc/X11/xorg.conf to a backup location and rebooting, and seeing if it does not "just work". I have recently re-allowed that particular chipset to use fglrx. If this still is not happening in a way we are happy with, I can show you how to get it to use the radeon driver (which works pretty well actually) or you can help me getting the fglrx working the right way... but be forwarned, it is time intensive.

Second issue... I haven't done that in so long... chances are if you cant load avwiz EVER even removing your xorg.conf, something else is going on, and we will have to troubleshoot it.

Third verse, same as the first. You SHOULD be hitting avwizard. If NOTHING works (including the script sudo /usr/pluto/bin/RebootWithAVWizard.sh) I will need your help troubleshooting it.

If you have a /var/log/pluto/AVWizard_Run*.log file... I want to see it. Please use pastebin. I also want to see your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file in a pastebin.

We can fix this.
I never quit... I just ping out.

marttoma

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 12:03:41 am »
Hello,

I just tried to reboot via script sudo /usr/pluto/bin/RebootWithAVWizard.sh. What it did? It restarted computer, BIOS was loaded, then some script from linuxmce - last what I saw was info "/etc/X11/xorg.conf is missing, AMD Redeon HD6550 driver will be used", then black screen and then bluse screen with message "Failed to setup X".

Now I reboot again by the same script (sudo /usr/pluto/bin/RebootWithAVWizard.sh) and during to boot I pressed the Shift key -> I got the screen where I could select normal mode or save mode -> I selected save mode -> there was some script -> the script stopped with "Give root password for maintenance (or type Control-D to continue)".

Control-D to continue does not work. It looks keyboard does not work. Just soft reset works -> ctrl+ald+del -> it will restar the computer.

Pls let me know if this above somehow help.

I am going to download you requested.

Martin

marttoma

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 09:22:51 pm »
I made new installation of linuxmce and xorg.conf file in /etc/X11/ dir is missing.
This is probably source of issues.

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 09:37:45 pm »
I had a problem with the AV Wizard on an Asus B202. The wizard screen was huge and I could only see the upper left quadrant. Followed l3mce's advice above and renamed the xorg.conf on the md. Rebooted and it worked perfectly.

Sorry to jump in. Thought it was worth mentioning as it is an Intel GMA950 and l3mce needed testers.

Ironic that a missing xorg.conf solved my problem!
Barney

marttoma

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 10:10:06 pm »
Thank you for input Barney.

I have opposite experience: when I did not have /etc/X11/xorg.conf, the AVWizard did not start (in any way).

When I created "xorg.conf" (by command:  Xorg :1 -configure) and restarted computer, the AVWizard started, but it is blinking and is too huge (it looks like the HD 6550 driver in linux 10.04 is not correct).

I am going to reinstall the graphic driver by new one from ATI and let you know the result.

Martin

marttoma

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 12:13:01 am »
So finally there is a list if issues, which had to be solve:

1) xorg.conf was missing from linuxmce installation -> I had to create new one
2) ATI driver from linux installation is wrong -> screen is blinking -> this driver has to be removed and new on from ATI web pages has to be installed -> blinking disappered.

I am not linus advance user, my friend was doing this -> I was not able to upload any file (pastebin did not work), you l3mce was asking for -> sorry.

Martin

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 02:59:04 pm »
The behavior is, currently, a lack of an xorg.conf attempts to FORCE avwiz to run, to create one. At worst, you should get a "failed to setup X" window, which we could begin to troubleshoot. The idea that an xorg.conf is needed to GET to avwiz is counterintuitive.

The fglrx driver we use is the fglrx in the repo and for an HD6xxx series card should absolutely work. In fact, moving to the newer fglrx drivers in the repo will only drop support for the HD2xxx - HD4xxx series, while adding support for some of the newest chipsets. In general this is not recommended to overlay on our system without making certain changes. What usually ends up happening is that you get a blended version of the driver because our detection scheme will absolutely insist on the .deb package being installed... which is what has happened. Most likely the config from the newer version is what fixed the modeset, which is what is almost certainly at fault for the blinking screen.

Anyway... glad you are up and running. In the future, please come find me in IRC so that I can troubleshoot this so that it works out of the box for everyone. Downloading the eternally support dropping newest version from ATI is not an option.

Thanks b4rney!
There are a couple of issues I have personally noticed and made tickets to try and fix as well. The first boot of ANY Intel, under any circumstance, locks up. Reboot solves. I have no idea why. Also, depending on selected resolution the entire UI is shifted a few pixels up. This baffles me as well. Please confirm or deny those two behaviors.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 03:04:11 pm by l3mce »

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 10:04:38 pm »
Hi l3mce,

Can't really answer your questions I'm afraid. I installed last week and didn't notice either of those events as the huge a/v screen got all my attention.

A freeze/reboot would, frankly, have gone unnoticed. I can always delete and recreate the md if you really want it testing. I also didn't notice any shift once I selected my resolution.

One thing I noticed yesterday (but not on my intel md) ..... I re-ran the av wizard on my core (nvidia graphics) to remove the alpha blending, and on the alignment page I had to nudge the display to the right a few pixels to get the arrows right (which is a first), it's usually perfectly aligned. However, once the main UI popped up it was aligned off the screen to the right and I can only see half the alphabet on the media screens.

One major improvement I did notice is that my Asus B202 now runs UI2 very nicely where it only ran UI1 under 0810.
Barney

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 01:27:14 am »
Forget the glitch with the UI offset. Ran the AV wizard again and it was perfect.
Barney

microbrain

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • Full Home Technology Solutions
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 08:57:32 am »
Has this issue been solved yet?

I obtained the latest iso (10-8-12) and installed it on an Intel spare machine I have here. After installing it as a Core/MD everything went according to plan till it finished listing all the starting devices and regen then a black screen with just the mouse showing and nothing from there. I did notice that upon reboot that it keeps saying "xorg.conf missing. Also, as one post noted when it did run the AV wizard that the AV Wizard screen is shifted to the lower right only showing the top left portion of the wizard. This occured every time I rebooted and attempted to get to the AV Wizard again.

I finally reloaded as a "Headless Core" only. Even upon boot it still shows "unable to find xorg.conf loading Intel driver". I assume that s the correct way. I then went to /etc/pluto and changed the AutoStartMedia=0 to 1, rebooted and the AV Wizard displayed properly and went through the setup process, but then after loading and starting everything and regen it still end up at a black screen with just a white mouse pointer showing, also during AV setup no audio is obtained as was on and earlier version of 10.04. I can move the mouse and see it moves on the screen but nothing else.

Now if I install an Nvida card and set it up that way then pull the Nvida out and turn the on board video back on it at least gets to a point where it pops up a screen stating it could not start x.

Question is there a way to get to a command prompt while it is starting up before it runs the AV so I can change it back to headless core only? Also, I used a laptop and  went to 192.168.80.1 and all works fine there. I turned on access to ssl in hopes to just go back in and change it to a headless core but I can't gain access to it through ssl, any suggestions?

Another issue I still have and will work on later is that it won't PXE boot an MD. I thought that the latest version of 10.04 had this corrected. When I attempt to do a /usr/pluto/bin/Diskless_CreateTBZ.sh it stops with errors stating unable to obtain files from the mirror. That's for another day.

Thanks
Wm.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 09:07:40 am »
Question: Did you follow rule #1 when the blackscreen with the cursor appeared?

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 10:07:12 am »
Has this issue been solved yet?

I obtained the latest iso (10-8-12) and installed it on an Intel spare machine I have here. After installing it as a Core/MD everything went according to plan till it finished listing all the starting devices and regen then a black screen with just the mouse showing and nothing from there. I did notice that upon reboot that it keeps saying "xorg.conf missing. Also, as one post noted when it did run the AV wizard that the AV Wizard screen is shifted to the lower right only showing the top left portion of the wizard. This occured every time I rebooted and attempted to get to the AV Wizard again.

I finally reloaded as a "Headless Core" only. Even upon boot it still shows "unable to find xorg.conf loading Intel driver". I assume that s the correct way. I then went to /etc/pluto and changed the AutoStartMedia=0 to 1, rebooted and the AV Wizard displayed properly and went through the setup process, but then after loading and starting everything and regen it still end up at a black screen with just a white mouse pointer showing, also during AV setup no audio is obtained as was on and earlier version of 10.04. I can move the mouse and see it moves on the screen but nothing else.

Now if I install an Nvida card and set it up that way then pull the Nvida out and turn the on board video back on it at least gets to a point where it pops up a screen stating it could not start x.

Question is there a way to get to a command prompt while it is starting up before it runs the AV so I can change it back to headless core only? Also, I used a laptop and  went to 192.168.80.1 and all works fine there. I turned on access to ssl in hopes to just go back in and change it to a headless core but I can't gain access to it through ssl, any suggestions?

Another issue I still have and will work on later is that it won't PXE boot an MD. I thought that the latest version of 10.04 had this corrected. When I attempt to do a /usr/pluto/bin/Diskless_CreateTBZ.sh it stops with errors stating unable to obtain files from the mirror. That's for another day.

Thanks
Wm.

ATI is poorly tested. The hd 6k series is now using the fglrx driver, which appears to be the source of the issue. Please give me the output of lspci -nn | grep VGA   and I will tell you the piece of code to change that will likely make you happy.

As for headless... if you installed headless from the DVD, you cannot then just change the pluto.conf tag and have it work. Chunks of stuff is not installed.

microbrain

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 03:23:20 am »
Sorry for the delay, been out of town..

Thank you both for your responses. After reading some of the posts on here I chose to just reload with a newer version (26551) since 26541 seem to have issues, like no audio, no PXE, a/v to name a few.

I will advise back should I have any probs.

Once again, thank you for your assistance.

microbrain

microbrain

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 01:24:54 am »
Well I reinstalled with latest (26551). All went fairly well till I got to the A/V wizard. The A/V display was off centred to the right and slightly down, I went ahead and applied the settings as I knew how they were supposed to be just using the arrow keys, once I hit enter, the A/V aligned it's self as required. I chose VGA-2, 1024X720(4.3) and 60hz. I continued on to the next step of audio, unfortunately I have no audio now. This was the issue with 26541 and not with prior builds. Maybe a suggestion on what to look at?

Other then that the software loaded and generated all the screens. I am still having issues with PXE boot, it does now automatically detect and start loading diskless MD but it gets to the point where it pops up an A/V wizard box that states "Unable to start X" and hangs from there. Upon entering "Ok" it does not respond. Only way out is to manually power down Diskless MD.

Thanks, hope this is helpfull

microbrain