Author Topic: Funding Drive: ZWave Door Locks  (Read 30424 times)

bugui

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Funding Drive: ZWave Door Locks
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2013, 08:55:58 am »
Hello Hari,
I'm planning to buy some zwave doorlocks but I note that there are two zwave dongles w/different frequencies (on for USA/ another for EUROPE), please. tellme if I'm wrong.
I live in argentina and zwave is not an standard here, then I would like to know what vendors and what frequencies are working and will be add to LMCE as supported in order to buy. Could you clarify that for me?

Thanks
Hernan

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2013, 11:16:50 am »
I like a good crime movie, even more so when tech is being used. 

In my own home however I don't see heists taking place where someone finds a non-encrypted z-wave lock and walks right in.  My intention on using z-wave locks is for access control more than security.  Such as following a doorbell event or an intercom session I could "buzz" guests in under a "at home secure" setting.

While this could be done with a GC-100's relays, a solenoid (or electromagnet) and a power source I had hopes of using z-wave for its simplicity and reliability. 

Is the encryption portion necessary for operation or for secure operation?

-thank you again Hari, for your contributions that have made my z-wave experiences pleasant I would contribute any time.  I actually wish I could see a video of a 100+ device home to help build interest among my roommates to slowly replace receptacles/switches with z-wave equipment.
I made a wiki!  Click here to check out my system.

sophist

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2013, 05:36:10 pm »
Any news for developing encryption support for OpenZwave ? I really need that for my door locks  :-[

bugui

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2013, 07:22:00 am »
Hello Hari,
Did you get some improvement w/ that doorlook?
Also I would like to know if the door lock can inform who (or what key) was enter via keypad, and the action related (door was opened/or close).
It's that possible with this kind of z-wave doorlocks?

Hernan

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2013, 04:07:40 pm »
Hari's working with the OpenZwave project to design the next-generation Z-wave driver which will (presumably) ultimately be folded into LMCE.
From lurking in the OpenZwave google group I discovered that to obtain details on the security protocol implementations Sigma Designs (chip manufacturer) requires an NDA, money, and other arrangements which just aren't practical for non-profit community groups like OpenZwave or LMCE.  Attempts are underway to reverse-engineer the protocol, but there's been no estimate on timeline.

If you really want a remote-controllable door lock in the near-term I'd look at a wired system with relay.

WhiteHatHacker

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2013, 07:24:05 pm »
If anyone requires funding to do an american version, please let me know. I want a Z-Wave door lock.

acald

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2014, 10:51:34 am »
Has there been any development on the Z-wave encryption front? 

Is this still an issue of reverse engineering?

Is there anything that us mere mortals can do?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 11:05:08 am by acald »

acald

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2014, 11:27:06 am »
So doing a bit of searching and reading.  Here are a couple of developments that may hasten the pace to getting zwave encryption working with linuxMCE.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34091
http://en.z-wave.me/content/new-version-razberry-released
http://www.openremote.org/display/docs/OpenRemote+2.0+How+To+-+Z-Wave+with+Razberry
http://www.amazon.com/Z-Wave-Razberry-Pi-GPIO-Daughter-Card/dp/B00BL9QFH6

Many of us have USB zwave controller sticks but if it meant installing a raspberry pi as the controller, I'm all for it (Especially if it can also double as an MD.)

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2014, 04:40:21 pm »
Good finds. Not sure how RPi is doing it, but here is the latest discussion in the OZW Google Group regarding progress and hurdles:

http://tinyurl.com/kxryezz

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2014, 09:07:02 pm »
I have a North American ZWave door lock.  As soon as OZW has any support for it we'll push on hari & sambuca to try and incorporate it!  I can pair it with my Aeon labs stick and I have even had the lock join my ZWave network, unsecured.  It doesn't seem to have much functionality in the insecure mode.  Even if it did, we don't appear to have a DT for the lock in LMCE yet...

J.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2014, 09:11:03 pm »
What _can_ you do with the lock in unsecured mode ?

"Hi, are you a lock?"
"Yes, I am indeed, a lock."

??

-Thom

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2014, 09:12:42 pm »
Battery level...  :P, firmware version.  It claims to have security functions but neither the old driver or the zwave driver knows about them to do anything with them it seems.  I'm really not that sure tbh.

J.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2014, 11:20:49 pm »
* posde wonders why people by a specific lock instead of ordering a regular switched outlet