Author Topic: Joggler install script  (Read 4058 times)

Esperanto

• Guru
    • View Profile
Joggler install script
« on: April 03, 2014, 06:26:11 pm »
I created a script to install the orbiter (12.04) on squeezeplayOS on the joggler (http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Joggler). You first need to flash squeezeplayOS on the joggler and then running this script will configure&install everything on the joggler (all that remains is creating the orbiter via the web interface)
The script displays some usage info when running it. Just put it on your core and run it (takes about 20 minutes or so).

What I found is that during the apt upgrade process update-initramfs fails which is annoying. If somebody knows how to fix that I will include it. (http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=13647.0)

Unfortunately the Orbiter seems to eat a lot of cpu power when going into screensaver mode (about 4 times as much) and even more when showing that nice clock that Thom made (about 7!!! times). If anybody can fix that....

I made a dirty hack to move the mousepointer out of the way which is not a nice solution but needs to do for now. (Thom said he already tried to fix the orbiter behavior regarding that but has not succeeded thus far. Again: anyone capable and willing..... http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=13648.0)

This also prevented me from switching the screen off. Using 'xset dpms force off' turns it off but it is put back on within a split second.

Attach is the file containing the install script and the config files required by it.

coley

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Joggler install script
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 05:05:23 pm »
I might give this a bash later and see how it goes.
I had this up and running manually before on 10.04.

-Coley.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 10:56:32 am »
I applaud your efforts. Nice script. Go ahead and perfect it by providing something like USB image that people can put onto stick, plug into their jogglers and everything happens automagically with a single question on the device ID.

Esperanto

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 03:49:45 pm »
Go ahead and perfect it by providing something like USB image that people can put onto stick, plug into their jogglers and everything happens automagically with a single question on the device ID.
Currently the script needs to run on the core and not on the joggler. I suppose a pnp detection script could be made to ask if the user wants to install it if lmce/dhcp detects a new openpeak device and either prompt the user for an existing orbiter or create a new one.

The user still has to flash the device themselves that way. I have no idea how much work it is to create such a detection script and therefore don't know if it is worth the effort knowing those jogglers are not for sale anymore.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 03:58:55 pm »
Whether or not it makes sense to invest time in, is always a question. To me, LinuxMCE is a learning platform.

It is a two way process. Luckily, everything that you need to do on the core, you should be able to do from the joggler via SSH. I would envision something like this:

On the core, run a script that creates an USB stick capable of booting on the joggler and flashing the Joggler with needed stuff. Add the private key from the core to the USB stick to allow the joggler booted from the USB stick to execute commands on the core.
Joggler boots with USB stick, startup scripts on the USB stick flash the joggler, connect to the core, does the magic on the core, prompt user to reboot and unplug the usb stick, and Voila! - perfect

Esperanto

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 07:08:00 pm »
I created a script to install and configure the device that might also be usable on other devices that run ubuntu flavors (there did not seem to be anything joggler specific in the wikipage). Did not test it though. If anybody has such a device feel free to supply some feedback and/or improve it. I wrote some explanation on how to install/use it:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Joggler_DT