Author Topic: Linux MCE beating as the heart of whole house automation  (Read 50148 times)

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: Linux MCE beating as the heart of whole house automation
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2012, 08:43:11 pm »
There is already a template for it but it doesn't work.  Are you saying there are templates in the database with no drivers?  Why the heck are templates allowed into the production database that everyone gets if all associated pieces have not been implemented?  If that's the case they should at least carry some kind of description so people know they're not fully implemented.

There is no such thing as a production database. Again: People have marked the device as working. If it does not work for you, go and open a new thread detailing your problem.

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2012, 08:47:06 pm »
klovell,

according to jamo the Caddx NX-8E is working. He marked the wiki article as working in 1004. You might want to open a new thread detailing what your problems are, and maybe jamo can help you get things sorted out.

I'm going to have to do that.  This is the only part left to the system of my dreams that either isn't working or I don't have a work around for.  As soon as I get free time. 

mcefan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2012, 10:24:56 pm »
OK, good! So the NX-8E is still on the table.
Please post a link here so we can follow along (for completeness and future reference), just in case someone else bumps into the same thing.

I'm currently working on getting the TV going viewing going so I can decide on a strategy. As mentioned before, I purchased the HD-PVR as recommended on the wiki (http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Capture_Cards#ATSC.2FNTSC_Cards_.28only_in_US.2FCanada_.29_MythTV) because it is the one with the best picture/sound. 
Now I need to tap into the TV signal. Seeing that the HD-PVR only has component video YCrCb connection, I'm a bit puzzled. I'd like to return the set top box to the cable provider and plug the signal in my MCE. That means that I will need to get a cable card. Should I keep the STB I currently have (which I don't want to do) or is there a compatible cablecard that will give me component video YCrCb?

On the other hand, is MythTV compatible equipment compatible with LMCE? I could change the way I get the media in.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 05:03:42 am by mcefan »

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2012, 03:33:52 pm »
klovell,
according to jamo the Caddx NX-8E is working. He marked the wiki article as working in 1004. You might want to open a new thread detailing what your problems are, and maybe jamo can help you get things sorted out.

If that's me, I'm sorry to mislead you. I've never heard of the Caddex NX-8E in my life. I can only assume that I've cocked-up the wikis on my hardware pages somewhere s.t. when I updated one of them to working, it updated this one as well.

If it is my mistake, I apologise profusely. :'(

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2012, 03:39:24 pm »
If there is a spec available and I get remote access via SSH to a system where it is hooked up to the serial, and a slave to press buttons on request, I can write a proper C++ device for it.
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

mcefan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2012, 07:49:28 pm »
If there is a spec available
What spec?

and I get remote access via SSH to a system where it is hooked up to the serial, and a slave to press buttons on request, I can write a proper C++ device for it.
I can setup facilities for you to have a go at it. I have enough hardware laying around, and I can dedicate an IP to that setup. If needs be, I can hook up any of the equipment I have (or am planning to use). I'm just setting up anyway, nothing is final yet.
By the way, my offer to help in funding still stands. I missed the previous one.

and a slave to press buttons on request
do you mean someone needs to be on location as needed?
I'm willing to do that, but that means I have to NOT set it up in the rack at my office like I plan to, but rather set it up at home where I spend most of my time (telecommuting).

I have to say that I appreciate all the help I have received so far. This is truly a great and willing community: this thread is a proof.
I have a plea: could I at least have access to 1 (one) only one page on the wiki where I can write notes for noobs? [just for clarification, by noob I mean someone just coming to the system for the first time, I do not necessarily mean completely ignorant - resourceful people can be interested without having weeks to spend on it]. I spent the whole morning reading around on the wiki and find things a bit all over the place.
This is a project that need more support and I'm sure people are interested, but it's not easy to start. With all the reading I've been doing, I still consider myself a bit lost. I find great nuggets of info here and there, and I'd like to bring it together in a friendly usable form (links mostly) that can help people just walk through and not ask the stupid questions I am asking. I would not have to if the answer was obvious, but I have not been able to find it easily, and it's not because I did not make the effort to read (I took a week off just to familiarize myself with he subject - I'm sure a lot of people can not afford that). This should help people sort themselves out and free some time for the admins/moderators.
So, can I please, please, pleeeease have a page?
I am willing to maintain and keep improving the page.
(alternatively, I can start a separate thread for noobs that can be used as a reference, but a wiki page is the most appropriate - it can be edited)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 08:04:19 pm by mcefan »

buckle

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2012, 08:07:17 pm »
What spec?
The protocol information for the NX-8E.  Like this: https://www.drivehq.com/folder/p9084843/049711833.aspx

So, can I please, please, pleeeease have a page?
I don't think you really need permission to create this.  Just log in and do it.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 08:12:39 pm by buckle »

mcefan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2012, 08:28:39 pm »
I don't think you really need permission to create this.  Just log in and do it.
I could not get the create account button, and the pages are not editable.
The option to create an account on the login page is disabled, and there no instruction on what to do to contribute to the documentation.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 11:28:56 pm by mcefan »

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2012, 04:08:52 am »
If there is a spec available and I get remote access via SSH to a system where it is hooked up to the serial, and a slave to press buttons on request, I can write a proper C++ device for it.

I'm currently using Dianemo.  How would that work?  Would you be able to use it for Lmce also?

Also, I swapped out my panel because my house is currently staged for sale.  The Caddx is at a storage facility about an hour away.  I should be heading in that direction this weekend, if I don't it'll be next weekend.  I have to grab a few things and I've been putting it on the back burner.  I'll grab the panel, a keypad and a couple sensors and set it up on my work bench.  I'll PM you once it's connected.  I'll even paypal you once it's all working properly.   

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2012, 08:32:44 am »
The wiki account creation uses the same login information as the forums.  It is not a very intuitive process and there is a discussion on the wiki boards to improve it. 

Wiki Login Page

I had some issues creating my wiki login but I attributed that to creating my account 4 years ago and never signing into the wiki.  It's a pretty heavily bot spammed wiki so please understand the account creation seems difficult partially as necessary measures to clean up all the trash pages.  When creating my user page I ended up having to register a new forum name (armorgnome2) and using that login information to create my wiki login.

Instructions on creating a user page

I found the above link very helpful in making my page searchable and conforming to standard categories.  I also stole ideas and page layout from other users by copying their page information (click edit to see their wiki html, be very careful not to save or change) and then use that code format for your own.

I have to say that I appreciate all the help I have received so far. This is truly a great and willing community: this thread is a proof.

I agree completely, and have found that those willing to help themselves get the support they need.  Users wiling to help others and test/develop/design are even more-so rewarded with assistance to any issue you come across.  I admire your willingness so soon in your LMCE experience to do a full-blown installation and add support where existing templates do not cover your needs.  I don't think I have added much to this thread as I have been busy with other projects, it is nice to have you aboard! 
I made a wiki!  Click here to check out my system.

mcefan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2012, 02:24:06 pm »
The wiki account creation uses the same login information as the forums.  It is not a very intuitive process and there is a discussion on the wiki boards to improve it.  
Great! (I kinda sorta thought it might, but I did not bother trying because it looked completely closed - I'll do something about that)

I started by adding a help page for documentation so that people understand how to manipulate the pages on the wiki.
it would be nice to have a few extensions installed (like section transclusion, table of contents ...)

I agree completely, and have found that those willing to help themselves get the support they need.  Users wiling to help others and test/develop/design are even more-so rewarded with assistance to any issue you come across.  I admire your willingness so soon in your LMCE experience to do a full-blown installation and add support where existing templates do not cover your needs.  I don't think I have added much to this thread as I have been busy with other projects, it is nice to have you aboard!  
Man, if you only knew how excited I am to play with this!
The pleasure is all mine.

I started editing the "Editing" page (http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Help:Editing) page, then realized that it was better to start from scratch, so I added an "advanced" section and linked a new page there.

I'm having problems with some reference links. Could someone lift up the restrictions on my account a bit? I'd like to clean this wiki up a little. Some extension that enables transclusion would be helpful in creating new pages that are mix of existing ones (I can help in installing if necessary).
Also, a link to a "contribute" page right above the "Donations" link in the navigation would help get people started on the documentation. I can take it from there, even if the page is blank.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 02:45:23 pm by mcefan »

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2012, 07:36:42 pm »
I'm currently using Dianemo.  How would that work?  Would you be able to use it for Lmce also?

Also, I swapped out my panel because my house is currently staged for sale.  The Caddx is at a storage facility about an hour away.  I should be heading in that direction this weekend, if I don't it'll be next weekend.  I have to grab a few things and I've been putting it on the back burner.  I'll grab the panel, a keypad and a couple sensors and set it up on my work bench.  I'll PM you once it's connected.  I'll even paypal you once it's all working properly.   
you don't need to pay anything, I want this panel working. Of course you can always send me a device for testing :-)
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

mcefan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2012, 05:41:16 am »
OK!
Day 1: I started working on the documentation today (10 hours). I was able to start putting some order in the process of breaking ground into LMCE from scratch.
I added four new pages that will help in the documentation process:

1. Where do I start?
        Contributing to LMCE
        Help:Editing advanced
        Help:Article categories
They are all on my user page here.
For the time being, I am using it as a scrap page to keep my thoughts organized. I linked to the pages I created so I can easily start from somewhere without having to look around. Any suggestion for improvement is welcomed.

... someone please pull the restriction back a bit so I can edit around. There's a lot of cleanup to do, and I'm having difficulties doing so because it is not accepting even the pages that are currently there. When I make simple edits, it tells me it's unsafe, I even tried saving the page itself without making any edit and received the same message...

I received the final quote from Element Controls today. Nice guys...
But the price!
I'm sure the technology has something to do with it, but I'd like to know:
they quoted me another $6,500 for the lighting controls, does that seem right for a 2,00 sq ft 3 stories home?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 07:13:30 pm by mcefan »

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2012, 02:39:38 pm »
[..]I received the final quote from Element Controls today. Nice guys...
But the price!
I'm sure the technology has something to do with it, but I'd like to know:
they quoted me another $6,500 for the lighting controls, does that seem right for a 2,00 sq ft 3 stories home?

The price always depends on the number of lights and what you want controlled. Feel free to forward the quote to me, and I shall take a look.

EDIT: I just checked my pricing: The list price for my installation was around 38EUR/light, plus around 450EUR for one-of equipment, like gateway and PSU. Doing a bit of shopping around, it is easy to get price down to ~25EUR/light, and around 250EUR for one-of equpment.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 02:43:25 pm by posde »

mcefan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2012, 05:57:48 pm »
Feel free to forward the quote to me, and I shall take a look.
Thank you for your help.
Here is the quote:

No      Unit         MATERIAL                                                       EPG Price            
            1ST FLOOR                                                                     
      29      LITON LHLD615C70-DHL (LED RECSSED HOUSING)               
      29      LITON LRLD621W (LED RECESSED TRIM)                                                   
      4      LITON LPE330-48"-BLUE (PENDANT LIGHT FOR ISLAND IN KITCHEN)                                                                     

2ND FLOOR                                                                     
      20      LITON LHLD615C70-DHL (LED RECESSED HOUSING)                                                                     
      20      LITON LRLD621W (LED RECESSED TRIM)                                                                     
      1      LOT PRICE FOR LIGHT FIXTURES                           $9,547.52             $9,547.52

1      LOT PRICE FOR LIGHTING CONTROLS                         $6,500.00             $6,500.00
            CONSISTING OF THE FOLLOWING:                                                                     
            8 KEY PADS                                                                     
            18 CIRCUIT 0-10V DIMMING CAPABILITY                                                                     
            IP INTERFACE 9COMPATIBLE TO CONNECT TO PC                                                      TOTAL   $16,047.52             $16,047.52
            AND FACTORY START UP FEE