Author Topic: Media hangs. Xine lockup?  (Read 3514 times)

k84

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Media hangs. Xine lockup?
« on: April 14, 2007, 03:13:28 pm »
Hi,

I have noticed sudden lockups on the media, e.g videos played in linuxmce, the system can work for days without problems, but sometimes it locks completley up playing a random video file (music videos for instance), checking which process uses most ressources i get that Xine_Player uses 99% of the cpu, on my 3.4ghz system.

When it "locks-up" the audio normally works fine for a while, and it displays approx 1picture pr 10th second!
and i can't do anything with my remote.

issuing a killall -9 Xine_Player (e.g takes 2 minutes to log-on via ssh to the box because all ressources goes to xine) then it takes a minute or two and the orbiter re-launches and everything is working again.

What could cause this behaviour, does anyone else notice this, the system hardware should be fine even though i should've had more RAM,

memtest86 reports no problems with the ram.

The system:
3.4ghz p4 with 512mb ddr2 ram.
nvidia 6600gt card with 256mb ram.

sharlee_angelo

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Media hangs. Xine lockup?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 04:46:02 pm »
well, when you will encounter the same problem, please look in /var/log/pluto for xine player log (of course, what happened in the past is also recorded in xine log and you can look there to provide us with some interesting information). also, it will be very good to know if other users had same issue.
Read the F****** Logs!!!

k84

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 02:48:33 am »
Can't see anything of interest in the log.
I'll try upgrading my RAM tomorrow and check if it helps.

If not i'll paste some logs.

k84

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 03:07:38 pm »
I have upgraded my ram from 512mb ddr2 pc3200, to 1024gb pc5200 ddr2,
The old ram (which reported no errors in memtest86) is removed from the system.

I have been using playlist now, and the system has been playing for 24hours with no issues.
(earlier if it was on playlist it would just hang, and after a GOOD while go back to the orbiter, (not continue in the playlist))

So could this be that for a stable system there would be a minimum requirement of >512mb ram.

Best regards,
K84