Author Topic: Does everything work for you?  (Read 3814 times)

ColumbusGEEK

• View Profile
Does everything work for you?
« on: March 26, 2007, 12:38:19 am »
I am curious to see peoples level of sucsess. 

I installed LinuxMCE with high hopes and the more I screw with it, the more I get let down.

MythTV throws errors

The GUI was a horiffic pain to just get to the point were I could see something.

I don't need home automation so I have ugly blank spots in my UI1 screen.

I am reinstalling but I have been getting "failed to DL index files" then the installer stops.

It's proving to be a real headache that may not be more then a Alpha release.

I hope the next time I install it tonight it goes better.

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Does everything work for you?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 01:20:09 am »
LinuxMCE does have a limited hardware base that works with it.  This base is smaller than the general linux hardware base, but that limited hardware is readily availible for mostly low cost.  Before building a rig, research on the wiki and especially check out the user section.  Many users have posted their hardware which work well (including myself).

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 01:47:13 am »
My install works great. I use virtually every feature of the system.

-Thom

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 04:20:31 am »
I have to admit, getting LMCE integrated into my home has been a bit of a challenge but that is mostly due to a steep learning curve on my part; That and getting over zealous with the idea and not doing the best research as far as using compatible hardware. I have been at it now for about a year and I have finally worked out my any major issues that I was having.
It doesn’t help that I am on a fixed technology budget and I get most of my hardware second hand either from scrapped out work computers or from people that I help.
There is nothing else like this out there so I would say keep at it. It is well worth it once you get it going.
Most importantly… Read the wiki and the forum before making any major hardware decisions. If you don’t you may regret it.
Core: Broken :(

alx9r

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 05:03:58 pm »
My install is working great!  I was surprised by the following:
 * it took way more time for me to set up than I expected
 * it cost less money than I expected
 * I ended up with a system with way more capabilities than I expected (some of which I value greatly, others that I haven't even had a chance to use yet)

If there's another reasonably-priced system that can do what LinuxMCE can do, I have yet to find it.

Regards,

Alex

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 05:08:37 pm »
I would have to say, that a great amount of time is spent literally understanding home automation, and trying to come to grips with the functional scope of the system.

I have been doing smart home research since the late 1980s (my father and I started doing advanced research on this topic in 1986), so I had a serious scope of what to buy, etc, when I first stumbled onto this project...but I spent my first chunk of time studying the code to see what it expected hardware wise, etc.. and once I knew what worked best, I put my system together very quickly...

I do admit, that I am one of the core devs, but I wasn't always a core dev, and I did have to start from scratch.

But I can tell you, that if I had to move into another apartment, I could have the LinuxMCE parts of the home set up in about 4 hours from beginning to end. Most of the time would be spent installing the various sensors, cameras, lighting modules....

-Thom

alx9r

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 05:17:55 pm »
But I can tell you, that if I had to move into another apartment, I could have the LinuxMCE parts of the home set up in about 4 hours from beginning to end. Most of the time would be spent installing the various sensors, cameras, lighting modules....

I completely agree with this statement.  Most of the time I have spent is learning, not performing laborious work.  I could build another LinuxMCE system with hardware that I am familiar with in a matter of hours, and I'm not a dev.

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 06:09:47 pm »
I like how this thread got resurrected from over a year ago.