Author Topic: Doorbell... Help Please  (Read 16318 times)

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: Doorbell... Help Please
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 04:25:08 pm »
The thing is: As long as it is not a something that can be bought fully build, I would *always* go with a regular binary input. Those are available for Z-Wave and KNX (and probably other systems as well). They are priced below 100USD/EUR, and come with warranty and stuff.

Arduino/rPi/whatever are nice hobbyist solutions. If we start with DIY stuff, where is the support for parallel port input output based systems etc.
* posde goes with regular over the counter stuff.
* posde is a chicken when it comes to SWMBO.

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 05:10:04 pm »
The thing is: As long as it is not a something that can be bought fully build, I would *always* go with a regular binary input. Those are available for Z-Wave and KNX (and probably other systems as well). They are priced below 100USD/EUR, and come with warranty and stuff.

Arduino/rPi/whatever are nice hobbyist solutions. If we start with DIY stuff, where is the support for parallel port input output based systems etc.
* posde goes with regular over the counter stuff.
* posde is a chicken when it comes to SWMBO.

I too am chicken of SWMBO, however none of the over-the-counter options I've found are ideal. Z-wave binary input and KNX seems to be only readily available in the EU (and uses different frequencies from US)... please correct me if you know otherwise as I've searched fairly diligently.

Failing this, I'd rather have an open platform that I can get to work 100% to my (and SWMBO's) liking, and possibly sell this commercially down the line. Time permitting of course.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2012, 01:32:58 am »
Here's my take on this, it's very simple:

* If you make a hobbyist solution, make it available and easy to get and make.
* If you make a hobbyist solution, make the system able to easily detect it, consistently.
* and if you're making something configurable, make the pieces on the LinuxMCE side so the part can be easily configured.

Keep those things in mind, and we can make templates that don't exclude people from having or using the device.

-Thom

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2012, 10:18:10 am »
davegravy,

every KNX sensor can be used worldwide.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2012, 07:30:20 pm »
nothing wrong with arduino, somebody is working on an interface device.
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2012, 01:10:57 am »
I landed a used GC-100-12 a fraction of the going rate.  I will be anxiously awaking that delivery!  I just happened to stumble onto the larger -12 and I know that I can wire sensors to the screw-in terminals.  For reference though I believe the 3/8" jacks (3.75mm) can also be used for sensors if IR functions are not needed.

Could someone confirm that the jacks work for more than IR emitters?

It's been an exciting week here for lmce in our home.  Roommate has a md in his room which had the effect I knew it would.  Lots of new gadgets to put on my wiki. :)
I made a wiki!  Click here to check out my system.

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2012, 06:18:06 am »
I landed a used GC-100-12 a fraction of the going rate.  I will be anxiously awaking that delivery!  I just happened to stumble onto the larger -12 and I know that I can wire sensors to the screw-in terminals.  For reference though I believe the 3/8" jacks (3.75mm) can also be used for sensors if IR functions are not needed.

Could someone confirm that the jacks work for more than IR emitters?

Only the 3/8" jacks work as input sensors (or IR).  The terminals are relays (useful if you want to, say, control your garage door,  a door chime,  or a security siren)

Sigg3.net

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2012, 04:22:15 pm »
I got a dog instead. It's a lot more expensive and time-consuming.

daballiemo

• Guru
  • Full Blown Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2012, 07:52:25 pm »
I myself use an old parkingsystem with analog connection, that is hooked up to my Fritzbox that takes care of the analog -> SIP. Has been working flawless over the last years.

An other possibility is Arduino. It will cost you exactly 23 Euro's (or 19 in China) and you have a number of in and outputs. As Tschak is saying it should be possible for other people to use it as well, but I guess builiding it will take maybe a couple of hours.

If you need examples let me know.

kr

Han
HP N40L12.04 KVM with virt LCME8.10/10.04
MD: FoxConn NetBox 330I - Samsung LE 26 (1360* 768)
MD: M2NPV-VM dual core AMD 64/3800/2Gb/NV6150 - Samsung UE 55 C8700 (full hd, 3d)
MD: FoxConn NetBox 330I - LG 32ld350

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2012, 09:24:52 pm »
Issues I've researched/experience with these gadgets;
  (1) P.I.T.A. in terms of configuring it ("dumping" Z-wave net to them as secondary controllers)...  EZ to screw that up.
not in SIS mode
 (2) I don't even know if LMCE even responds directly to Z-wave events from these gadgets (don't think so, maybe custom?!)...
wrong assumptions

(3) Expensive (most of them)...
z-wave doorbell with ringer is about 50.- EUR
 (4) To make it more complicated there are scene controllers and zone controllers,... and they work differently ... &
not relevant for this
 (5) There's a Z-wave "zone protocol" to consider, which I don't know if LinuxMCE supports (or whether that even matters to LinuxMCE, or is completely superfluous)...
again not relevant
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

PKWilson

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2012, 10:10:14 am »
I just thought I would add to this regarding the Doorbell, in case anyone else can't get their doorbell event working.

Make sure you have set whatever "sensor" your using as your doorbell to act as a doorbell in the Active Sensors page, otherwise your doorbell event will never get fired.

Cheers