Author Topic: 10.04 USB Install Issues  (Read 4668 times)

SBCC

• Guru
    • View Profile
10.04 USB Install Issues
« on: August 24, 2012, 03:26:54 am »
Hello,

I've run into problems using USB stick install. Tried the 10.04 beta and the latest snapshot 8/20. Checked the hash on both and is fine.

Get to;

boot:

When I hit return I get "not a COM 32R image" error. I can usually fix that by typing "help" and return get into menu and hit return again. When I type help here I get "Could not find kernel image : help". Also tried TAB and typing install. Same error. I can get it going with typing "live" but have not completed the install from there. I think this is a syslinux compatibility issue. I creating this in Ubuntu 11.10 using startup disk creator. I am going to try and update the c32 on the stick and see if that works. I've always used the Internet install method in the past but I would like to try the DVD install.

Just bringing this up.
Not sure if anything is/can/or should be done

Thanks

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: 10.04 USB Install Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 04:33:33 am »
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MaverickMeerkat/ReleaseNotes#Common%20Desktop%20Applications

There is a backwards incompatibility in syslinux for your version of Ubuntu that creates this problem. It exists between 10.10 and 11.10. 12.04 does not share this issue.

Try using unetbootin. This is just a weirdo bug in the Startup Disk Creator. I tried very very hard to get around it. Not possible to upgrade the syslinux due to a stream of compatability problems. Sorry.
I never quit... I just ping out.

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 05:09:56 am »
Is it possible to create a hybrid ISO of the disk image with isohybrid (and be able to use dd to write the file to USB) or is the syslinux incompatible with that?
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 01:44:31 pm »
no.
I never quit... I just ping out.

SBCC

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 02:23:50 pm »
Ok will probably use unetbootin. Not quite ready to switch to 12.04 but good to hear that it has been resolved there.

Thanks for all your hard work!!

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 04:19:57 pm »
I installed from USB. Just pressed tab then it gives you a list of options - the same list the grapical interface gives you. You typed Live which boot the live cd version to try it out, I'd you type 'hybrid' it will do the hybrid install

When you get someway through the install it will ask you to reboot, hit reboot then once the machine powers off remove the USB stick. It will then boot from the HD.

SBCC

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 05:53:30 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

I did try the TAB and only showed "live" as an option. That is what really brought me here. Unetbootin works fine though.