Author Topic: Onscreen keyboard 10.04 keystrokes not going to web browser  (Read 232065 times)

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
Onscreen keyboard 10.04 keystrokes not going to web browser
« on: August 10, 2012, 09:35:06 am »
Hi All

Any tips here? I might just be doing something silly. When I open the web browser from my onscreen orbiter in 10.04 (UI2-medium), I can use my remote (wiimote) to "click" anywhere with no problem but when I want to type something and I bring up the onscreen keyboard, the keystrokes don't end up in the browser window, even though the keyboard registers the presses (the key highlights when it gets clicked on).

I tried, for example, filling in the address bar as follows:

you can click in the address bar and the cursor appears there, but then when you click on the onscreen keyboard keys, no letters appear in the address bar. A bit as though the focus has been lost.

Anyone else have these problems?

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Onscreen keyboard 10.04 keystrokes not going to web browser
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 09:37:52 am »
I haven't tried in 1004 but I have never been able to use the onscreen keyboard with remote or orbiter going back to 8.10.

I made a wiki!  Click here to check out my system.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 06:07:45 pm »
Sorry guys,

It needs to be worked on. Somebody in HADesigner could go in and make replacement keys (as in, totally new designobjs) that send to the local orbiter, to solve the problem.

-Thom

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 06:27:04 pm »
While you guys are at it, would you mind looking into an option to remove the onscreen keyboard (as in don't show it at all),?? ... a web admin option or even just a config file edit would be great.
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 06:36:53 pm »
Why don't you look into doing that, since you need it?

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 09:51:23 pm »
Is there any documentation on how the keyboard is called up?

I couldn't find anything regarding the on-screen keyboard in the wiki,... So, I'm assuming I'd need to look at any readme files on the SVN related to user interface an/or how web apps are called up...

Could you point me in the right direction where to look?
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 10:56:10 pm »
The on-screen keyboard is a screen in orbiter, therefore it must be edited in HA Designer. The designobj you want to edit is 3292, the generic app full screen designobj.

There, you will see a button, for the keyboard, there should be a Goto DesignObj in its onActivate, to go to another designobj, this designobj is the Virtual keyboard.

This keyboard needs to be re-made...that is, each little designobj in it, needs to be deleted, and then replaced with new designobjs that send their keystrokes to another place...probably -203... but I am not sure. There will need to be experimentation here.

The whole mechanism to send keypresses to the display was literally a quick hack inserted  by someone at pluto, and needs to be rethought.

-Thom

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 12:06:37 am »
That you say that the onscreen keyboard needs to be rethought has me thinking (I know,... you're saying "uh-oh."). Why not just substitute one of the available onscreen keyboard applications, and not require it be integrated in with HA Designer/DesignObj? Simply replace that entire thing with a simple (and hopefully out-of the way and pretty) on-screen toggle that will call the keyboard app?

Suitable keyboard apps include:
  • On-board
  • Cell-writer (it has a keyboard "mode")
  • Florence
  • GOK (old/ugly)
... ad nauseum,...

The best candidate would probably be Florence... with the second being Cellwriter's keyboard (it posts it's virtual keypresses
right to the key buffer, as I understand it, don't know how Florence works).

But Florence is attractive, easily theme-able, and is gaining a lot of momentum, as of the last couple of years. It also has a feature that allows it to be automatically called when text input is required, while I don't know if LinuxMCE is compatible with that. However, I honestly don't know if it would meet LinuxMCE compatibility requirements, but it's worth a shot, especially if it relieves anyone of the obligation to code a complex alternative.

Florence can be found here:
http://florence.sourceforge.net/english.html

With an explanation of alternatives (very nice of them) here:
http://florence.sourceforge.net/english/alternatives.html

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 12:23:58 am »
This will not work because of the fact that these onscreen keyboards are unaware of the environment that Orbiter is presenting. Orbiter is intercepting any and all keystrokes and mouse clicks, so that it can essentially act as the interface that is overlaid atop the active media application. This is context sensitive, and changes depending on the screen.

Basically, I'd rather just remove the keyboard until someone can actually sit down and understand that part of the code, and make the necessary changes for it to work properly. They aren't huge changes, but it will take someone with either the understanding or the willingness to understand that part of the code to be able to fix it.

-Thom

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 12:40:22 am »
I have no objection to removing the keyboard... Since it is not really working anyway, I would assume few others would either.

But a question for thought:
Is the Orbiter taking 100% focus, essentially? And is it possible to make it allow an overlay on top of it's own self?

Alternatively, someone could take the code from one of those other projects and cannibalize it for conversion to LinuxMCE use...

Note: Florence's automatic text field detection is incompatible with QT3 because it requires at-spi to work... Don't know if that spells doom for LinuxMCE's orbiter code...

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 12:42:58 am »
Perhaps I misunderstood the fate of the current orbiter.  I was under the impression that a complete replacement was sought and that time spent adding features under QuickDesigner or HA Designer was better spent getting qOrbiter on its feet?

Am I oversimplifying this, and will there still be need for someone to be the local pro on Orbiter?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 12:50:44 am »
Until qOrbiter replaces the on screen display, Orbiter will be used.

-Thom

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 12:57:46 am »
Hmmm,

If a wholesale replacement for the Orbiter is sought,... why wouldn't the underlying KDE/Kwin stuff be an alternative? It's QT based, after all...

The Orbiter's concept for pre-drawing a lot of the stuff, anyway, was motivated by saving CPU and GPU cycles,... which is hardly necessary any longer even with hardware that's even 3-4 years old.

I dunno,... I don't know enough about what is necessary for the UI (or a replacement) to cooperate with the DCE router to do all of it's jobs correctly...

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 03:46:44 am »
Okay I now have the ability to take on the keyboard task,  give me a little while to crash course myself into understanding the various fields and inputs and I will let you know when I have something.

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2012, 03:50:30 am »
Extra points for being able to turn it off completely,... wink... wink... (I don't want to feel like spending $35 a piece for Rii wireless keyboards/IR remotes was a waste... )

;)