Woohoo.... seem to have solved my samba problem. Will update wiki(s) as well in a moment.
A few tips....
1. I'm assuming that sambacredentials -
should be the same across all MDs. I have made sure mine are and so far so good.
2. The SAMBA (SMBD) that is installed and setup on 10.04 appears to not use /etc/samba/smbpasswd file for its users and passwords despite the fact that this file is created. It appears to use a newer authentication scheme. To add/remove/delete/list SAMBA users you need to use the pdbedit command.
dcerouter#> sudo pdbedit -L -v
lists all samba users
dcerouter#> sudo pdbedit -a -u sambahelper
Allows you to set the password for sambahelper.
I did this on dcerouter and set it to the password listed in the credentials file(s) for sambahelper and since my video list is now showing despite reboots and restarts of all mds, I presume the statusradar script (see related post) is now able to query the samba shares. Yay.
Edit: Stupid idiot, sorry guys-> not "pbedit", "pdbedit'. Thanks for picking that up, bushtech.