Author Topic: missing cd-rips after upgrade to 1004 [SOLVED]  (Read 7135 times)

RayBe

• Guru
    • View Profile
missing cd-rips after upgrade to 1004 [SOLVED]
« on: August 06, 2012, 11:52:42 am »
Hi all,

Recently i upgraded my core from 810 to 1004.
I use a separate drive for the system and for media (both on 810 and 1004)
After installing LMCE on the system-drive, i plugged in my 2TB internal-media-drive (which has been initially formatted in lmce-structure under 810)

1004 detected the drive as a 1.8TB drive and i selected the 'use LMCE structure' option again.
After LMCE added the drive, it seems that all my dvd-rips and tv-recordings show (to much to count for them all :) )
But out of my approximately 20 cd-rips, i only see 2 of them back on my Orbiter.
I did all of the ripping with LMCE.

Does anybody perhaps have a clue in were to look or if this is a bug?

thanks,
br,
Raymond
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 11:11:43 pm by RayBe »
When you were born, you were crying and everybody else was laughing.
Live your life so when you die, you are laughing and everybody else is crying.

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
Re: missing cd-rips after upgrade to 1004
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 02:45:05 pm »
Did you give the system enough time to index the files?
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 03:57:36 pm »
Can you navigate to them via /mnt/device/##/public/data/audio  (assuming you ripped them to public) or /mnt/device/##/user_1/data/audio?

I never quit... I just ping out.

RayBe

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 04:33:29 pm »
@JaseP, yes i gave them 5 days

@l3mce, yes i can. ls shows me only the 2 albums

thanks for helping,
br,
Raymond

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 04:37:51 pm »
Raybe, where were your rips before, and can you navigate to them manually and verify they are still physically there (not over-written)?
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

RayBe

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 07:14:50 pm »
JaseP, they were all in public and i can navigate to them via /mnt/device/##/public/data/audio (as per suggestion by l3mce)
In there, there are only 2 albums that show.
My other albums are not in there anymore.

Could they be over-written? by what, i only added the drive to my install as discribed above.

br,
Raymond

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 08:01:14 pm »
Seems like they are gone. That's why UpdateMedia can't fine them. Why they are gone is a different matter, but can't be related to LinuxMCE.

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 08:49:13 pm »
If they were on the same drive partition that was partitioned/formatted on install of LinuxMCE 10.04, they could have been over-written. Hopefully, you made a full backup of your media, and can copy them over from that backup.

That's why I prefer the net install,... because I always leave my /home partition untouched as a separate partition. And working off a KDE install allows for an advanced use of the Gparted tool inside the Ubiquity install program on the live disk. That way, files, downloads, settings, etc. are all archived there for me to access,... Only LinuxMCE starts adding in the duplicate entries that that the drive might have in sub-directories.

It doesn't seems to mess up LinuxMCE, doing that... Partitions are largely transparent to the way the system operates, as far as I've seen,... The only potential downside is a risk of running out of space on /home, if it's set too small, and the aforesaid duplicates. Those things you can "fix" with external HDs or NAS drives, and moving video files over to them, and deleting the dups.

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 09:52:41 pm »
I am doubting they are gone. When I didn't understand the structure, I would derp about thinking I lost media all the time switching back and forth between all public etc... when in reality, I had just accidentally dropped a couple of media rips in the wrong place.

df -h /mnt/device/##  will show you the amount of used/available space on the device. That should tell you pretty quick if it is still there... just buried somewhere.

I have never ripped a cd, so I do not know the extension... so for my example I will use .avi. Change that. Also clearly change the ## to the device number we are talking about found in /mnt/device. Run as root.

find /mnt/device/## -path '/mnt/device/##/public/data/audio' -prune -o -name '*.avi*' -exec echo mv {} /mnt/device/##/public/data/audio \;

You will notice echo is also in red. This is because I want it to echo on screen what it is going to try to do before ACTUALLY doing it... so you can look and make sure that everything is right. Once you have confirmed that that is what you want it to do, remove the word echo (and one of the two remaining spaces), and it will do its job. Here is an example of the echo on my machine.
Code: [Select]
root@dcerouter:/# find /mnt/device/37 -path '/mnt/device/37/public/data/audio' -prune -o -name '*.avi*' -exec echo mv {} /mnt/device/37/public/data/audio \;
mv /mnt/device/37/public/data/videos/The Peguins of Madagascar.avi /mnt/device/37/public/data/audio
mv /mnt/device/37/public/data/videos/A Christmas Carol.avi /mnt/device/37/public/data/audio
mv /mnt/device/37/public/data/videos/Bolt.avi /mnt/device/37/public/data/audio
mv /mnt/device/37/public/data/videos/Igor.avi /mnt/device/37/public/data/audio
mv /mnt/device/37/public/data/videos/Madagascar.avi /mnt/device/37/public/data/audio
mv /mnt/device/37/public/data/videos/Planet 51.avi /mnt/device/37/public/data/audio
mv /mnt/device/37/public/data/videos/Scrat-No Time For Nuts.avi /mnt/device/37/public/data/audio
mv /mnt/device/37/public/data/videos/The Incredibles.avi /mnt/device/37/public/data/audio
mv /mnt/device/37/public/data/videos/Bolt.avi.id3 /mnt/device/37/public/data/audio
mv /mnt/device/37/public/data/videos/Kung Fu Panda-Secrets of the Furious Five.avi /mnt/device/37/public/data/audio
mv /mnt/device/37/public/data/videos/History of Harley Davidson.avi /mnt/device/37/public/data/audio
mv /mnt/device/37/public/data/videos/Planet 51.avi.id3 /mnt/device/37/public/data/audio
mv /mnt/device/37/public/data/videos/The Peguins of Madagascar.avi.id3 /mnt/device/37/public/data/audio
mv /mnt/device/37/public/data/videos/The Incredibles.avi.id3 /mnt/device/37/public/data/audio
mv /mnt/device/37/public/data/videos/Igor.avi.id3 /mnt/device/37/public/data/audio
mv /mnt/device/37/public/data/videos/History of Harley Davidson.avi.id3 /mnt/device/37/public/data/audio
mv /mnt/device/37/public/data/videos/Madagascar Escape 2 Africa.avi /mnt/device/37/public/data/audio
mv /mnt/device/37/public/data/videos/A Christmas Carol.avi.id3 /mnt/device/37/public/data/audio
mv /mnt/device/37/public/data/videos/Scrat-No Time For Nuts.avi.id3 /mnt/device/37/public/data/audio
mv /mnt/device/37/public/data/videos/Madagascar.avi.id3 /mnt/device/37/public/data/audio
mv /mnt/device/37/public/data/videos/Madagascar Escape 2 Africa.avi.id3 /mnt/device/37/public/data/audio
mv /mnt/device/37/public/data/videos/Kung Fu Panda-Secrets of the Furious Five.avi.id3 /mnt/device/37/public/data/audio

This is what it looks like without the echo. Tested just to make sure it handled spaces well.
Code: [Select]
root@dcerouter:/# find /mnt/device/37 -path '/mnt/device/37/public/data/audio' -prune -o -name '*.avi*' -exec mv {} /mnt/device/37/public/data/audio \;
root@dcerouter:/# ls /mnt/device/37/public/data/audio
A Christmas Carol.avi               Kung Fu Panda-Secrets of the Furious Five.avi      Scrat-No Time For Nuts.avi
A Christmas Carol.avi.id3           Kung Fu Panda-Secrets of the Furious Five.avi.id3  Scrat-No Time For Nuts.avi.id3
Bolt.avi                            Madagascar.avi                                     The Incredibles.avi
Bolt.avi.id3                        Madagascar.avi.id3                                 The Incredibles.avi.id3
History of Harley Davidson.avi      Madagascar Escape 2 Africa.avi                     The Peguins of Madagascar.avi
History of Harley Davidson.avi.id3  Madagascar Escape 2 Africa.avi.id3                 The Peguins of Madagascar.avi.id3
Igor.avi                            Planet 51.avi
Igor.avi.id3                        Planet 51.avi.id3

Because I like explaining things, I will break down what that is doing so it is easier to modify to your purposes.

find /mnt/device/##
This starts the find command and defines the directory parent to begin searching in.

-path '/mnt/device/##/public/data/audio' -prune -o
This defines a path, and tells it to exclude that path from being found. This is to prevent it finding files we are looking for that are already in the directory we want to move them to.

-name '*.avi*'
This looks for things with this name. There is a glob in front of the extension because we want any kind of avi, and a glob after to find either just .avi or .avi.id3 etc.

-exec echo
Find will now execute what follows. In the first case, an echo.

mv {} /mnt/device/##/public/data/audio \;
This tells it to mv everything it found, to the public audio directory, or in the case of our first test echo, to print on screen "mv <found_file> /path/to/public/audio"
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 10:48:41 pm by l3mce »

RayBe

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 10:18:33 pm »
thanks guys for the help.

l3mce, will try later, i am @work atm, i will keep you posted.

Does anybody perhaps have a qlue to why this could have happened?
I always keep my media on this seperate 2TB drive.

thanks
br,
Raymond

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 10:27:14 pm »
Depends on the actual condition. Paste the results of your code run like mine, and I will tell you what I think happened.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 10:33:38 pm »
One thing is for sure: LinuxMCE does not by itself format a drive when it detects it.

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 10:47:10 pm »
Noted,... But I believe he did an upgrade,... But I don't know how the upgrade (8.10 to 10.04) scripts work. Would they reformat/repartition the / drive?

Also, is the locate command installed by default in LinuxMCE?  He may be able to use that if he remembers a file name or part of one,... or even just the 3 character extension.

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 10:56:08 pm »
Noted,... But I believe he did an upgrade,... But I don't know how the upgrade (8.10 to 10.04) scripts work. Would they reformat/repartition the / drive?

Also, is the locate command installed by default in LinuxMCE?  He may be able to use that if he remembers a file name or part of one,... or even just the 3 character extension.

There is no upgrade script 810 to 1004. This would require a fresh install. This is also a nas or extra drive in the core. These will never ever ever be formatted by lmce. The directory structure is added, but cannot overwrite. Not only is this simply an impossibility from our code and what is executed, but the fact that 2 of them exists means nothing was formatted. This is why I feel so strongly that they ALL still exist, and are buried in a directory somewhere.

eg... if he has an 810 install and chooses "use LMCE structure", and rips his CDs as his user... they will exist in /mnt/device/##/user_1/data/audio.
If he installs 1004 and finds that drive again, his new user directory will be created as /mnt/device/##/user_2/data/audio
If he forgets to rip to his user folder every once in a while, one or two will be hanging around in /mnt/device/##/public/data/audio

This is the rationale behind my belief.

locate does not exist by default... and he doesn't need it. I have written him the most bitchin locate function possible :P

* LMCE cannot format anything, but it should be noted that in the DVD installer you have access to gparted when you DO your install, and IT, if you specifically choose a drive and change the installer to use it, or partition it manually, can. This is the same partitioner on every *buntu live CD out there, so I do not consider it "ours" though it is available on our live CD as well. I like accuracy, especially when using absolutes... LinuxMCE will never format data.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 11:40:25 pm by l3mce »

RayBe

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 04:51:39 am »
Hi l3mce,

Your command didn't return anything on my system :(
I guess something else must have happened.
I am glad to hear though that LMCE CAN'T delete files on his own, i thought i might have found a bug, but i am glad i didn't.

br,
Raymond