Author Topic: Several Intel GPUs affected by case oversight in install scheme. Sorry [SOLVED]  (Read 5928 times)

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Thanks to armorgnome for helping me figure out why intels were breaking.

A while back I added code to update the pciid database so I could get better information on newer cards, and an odd quirk was that some were coming back in upper case. I changed the scheme to convert all names to upper case, but on the Intel side missed a supplemental install which is necessary for many of them to work. Unfortunately a blogger trying to install LMCE was affected by this, so his experience was less than good and his opinion of the project, less than favorable.

There should be a new build sometime later today, and a new snap. If you were affected by this
sudo apt-get update
apt-cache policy pluto-boot-scripts | grep -i candidate

When the version is >= 26303 then either, sudo apt-get install pluto-boot-scripts, or sudo apt-get upgrade.

Sorry for the oversight.
I never quit... I just ping out.

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
Who's blogger? Maybe a helpful "please try again" post ought to help...
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
Just glad it was discovered to be an issue and not something screwy with my install.  Thanks for walking me through a few firsts, ssh, editing with vi and chroot.

Oh and I will not forget " :!q " ever again! 
I made a wiki!  Click here to check out my system.

l3mce

• View Profile
In ever increasing good news... an upgrade will bring you a new version of cron from canonical. Our post-install scripts for at least one package call for cron to be reloaded and this causes puking.

I will grep our entire sourcecode for post installers that call for cron reloads and try and apply a hack to prevent crashing out if that fails.

Depressing couple of days.

Armor Gnome, please confirm that this resolves your issue.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 05:02:37 am by l3mce »

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
I will see what I can do.

That board is in the middle of being modded and put into another case.  It might be a few days until I can put time into reassembling it and verifying your fix.  I will let you know if somebody with the same chipset doesn't post a verification first.

Temporary Test Bench :cases get in the way!

*Yes, that is cardboard.  I typically put boards through a similar power up process to check them out without reaching into a case 1,000 times.  I then add a drive and load up kubuntu 8.10 and push them a little with compiz fusion desktop effects to see what kind of performance I can expect out of them.  Depending on how they do I sell them as browser machines, keep them for MD builds, case mod them into something crazy or use them for a specific task I picked them up for.  I will add "test for lmce compatability" and start updating the wiki if you would like.

l3mce

• View Profile
Is that a camouflage wall socket cover?

We could drink.

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
No fair checking images for photobombs! Yeah, I have a friend who works for a custom vinyl shop.  He had some scraps after a big job and we did all the trim in this room.

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
I love the cooling system (no case). Talk about bare bones!
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
L3me,

Is the 10.04 net install affected by the cron stuff in your post #3 above?
Should we hold off doing an apt-get upgrade until you have it locked down?

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
Years ago me and my roommate had a very special PC we called "wall monkey."

This PC was a PII 350 board held to the wall with a single drywall screw.  The PSU which hung below the board by its connectors was an ATX (looking back I don't know why we didn't go AT) that because we had no case leads was started with a nickel we kept nearby.  Taking the nickel you had to short the jumpers normally connected to PSwitch.  

This dangerous mess of hanging cables and boards served as a yahoo machine (google was probably around but I hadn't found it yet) which we used to answer questions or look at maps for our MMORPG.

Testing machines without a case now is a tribute to the days of asking each other, "Have you seen wall monkey's nickel?"

l3mce

• View Profile
L3me,

Is the 10.04 net install affected by the cron stuff in your post #3 above?
Should we hold off doing an apt-get upgrade until you have it locked down?

All 1004 is. Until build 26306 or higher finishes, I would.