Author Topic: [CLOSED] WTTF Gyration GYR3101US (manual)  (Read 6754 times)

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
[CLOSED] WTTF Gyration GYR3101US (manual)
« on: August 03, 2012, 08:04:46 pm »
Of course the moment I delete it, I need it and can't find it.

I am looking for the user manual (in .pdf preferably) for the Gyration Remote GYR3101US.  The Gyration website doesn't recognize this product number and does not offer manuals for discontinued models.  I am hoping to do some work on this in 10.04 under the GC1005 template it uses and get some use out of its' learning mode that I can't remember the keypress for.  That aside I also want to program the AUX channel with learned commands from my fireplace's IR remote, if I get usable code from this I can offer it to the community for control via IRT, LIRC, etc.

Paypal available, as is any trade work or arrangements.  Of particular interest to potential traders would be my skinning work of orbiter UIs.  I can add custom components or personalization to most default skins and make them available to you as drop in replacements for skins you are not otherwise using.  Backup Default skins > Replace file > full regen orbiter > enjoy new skins.  Skins I am currently altering include Titanium and UIta.  I personally enjoy the fat-finger changes to the DVD remote screens.

Message me and be patient for responses please.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 01:29:42 am by Armor Gnome »
I made a wiki!  Click here to check out my system.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: WTTF Gyration GYR3101US (manual)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 11:50:05 pm »
Why would you want to use the IR remote features in the Gyration at all? It is useless outside of the remote, and you would be better using something like a USB UIRT to get the IR codes for device templates for the community at large.

-Thom

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 02:04:55 am »
Lack of hardware.  I have considered getting a USB UIRT but at this time that $80 could go to a lot of other things.

Using the remote's learning feature I can turn my fireplace off and on with the gyration under AUX and have one less remote to keep batteries in.  It's not automation and it's not under LMCE but it's a nice feature considering all I need to know is what button to hold on the Gyration to enter learning mode.

I am not sure how it would work but I am thinking I could drop my LIRC (serial to IR emiter) down from the unused serial port of a nearby MD and add those codes as a device template.  LIRC sucks but I have one laying here not being used.  IR wires are ugly but on this fireplace I can move the IR receiver panel back into the enclosure it sits in and connect the emiter there out of sight.  The only part I have to test would be if a MD can share its serial port with the CORE, ie can the CORE tell a MD to fire a signal down it's serial port to LIRC to fireplace?  The CORE I wouldn't think would care what room the device is in, it just knows that according to event criteria it is supposed to turn on 'something' if x, y & z = true.

Correct me here but regardless of how I get the codes, they could be shared as a template so other users with a USB UIRT or equivalent could control their "Generic IR Fireplace."  Haven't found a manufacturer label yet but I am sure I will when I tear into the enclosure.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 08:18:30 pm »
IR is a two edged sword in LMCE here, and it comes down to how the IR transceivers all work internally:

(1) for learning and blasting codes, we use PRONTO codes, a very standardized way to encode complex IR pulses. If you use a device that can learn IR codes supported by LinuxMCE (USBUIRT, Tira, IRTrans, GC100 with a GCC-IRL dongle), this is what you will see. the LIRC_DCE device does not support learning PRONTO codes, but it does support blasting PRONTO codes. You can get PRONTO codes at such sites as Remote Central (http://www.remotecentral.com/)

(2) Such IR transceivers can also recognize IR pulses from remotes to control an on-screen orbiter, and its current active application. In this case, however, due to the subtle differences in how the IR transceivers work, we store remote control definitions in the internal code format used by the device itself (for LIRC, this is an LIRC configuration file for a given remote, for the others, it's a specific format internal to their receiver.) You will see as you add a device for an IR transceiver, you will see an additional device added which has device data for the given remote (usually a Windows Media Center remote.)

-Thom

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 10:36:51 pm »
I appreciate that explanation, thank you.

Basically LIRC is not only more difficult, it's not fully supported, or at least not as well as others.

I will dig into prices on the alternatives to USB UIRT that you provided.  My tinker budget went out of line adding z-wave recently.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 10:40:54 pm »
our LIRC_DCE device could be extended to do IR Learning, but nobody has done this.

-Thom

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: [CLOSED] WTTF Gyration GYR3101US (manual)
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 01:32:13 am »
Fried my usb dongle somehow... >:(

Will not light up when pressing connect and lsusb does not show it as a device on several machines.  Posting another WTB ad here in the marketplace.