Author Topic: Boots to a blue-green lined screen  (Read 7404 times)

Vogateer

• View Profile
Boots to a blue-green lined screen
« on: March 25, 2007, 05:32:55 pm »
The install seemed to go well, and I saw the LinuxMCE bootup bit, and can even go to the IP address for the box and get the LinuxMCE Admin, where there are no users yet.

The TV is a piece of junk, and I imagine that doesn't help, since the resolution isn't true HDTV, I might have to play with the Xorg file. I'll see if I can get to a terminal. An IRC channel would be a great thing, but might get overloaded...

Vogateer

• View Profile
Re: Boots to a blue-green lined screen
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 05:54:58 pm »
Well, looks like it just took a very long time to get going, mce-launcher was pegging the CPU at 100%, I got to one screen, tried to pick my resolution, and the only problem is that I can't force a 16x9 ratio with 720p, 1080i, or 480p. This could be because my TV is horribly cheap and not true HDTV, but I would still like to get the 16x9 ratio, if possible. Sorry for what seems like a play-by-play, it's exciting, and my patience didn't hold up long enough to really give this a go. I probably missed something about this in the instructions in my excitement.

I did have to do a bit of CTRL + ALT + F8 or F7 to get my screen up for some reason. Just in case others have a similar experience.

Vogateer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 06:01:54 pm »
Getting a screen that says:

"Orbiter failed to setup the transparency. Please check if the transparency manager is runn"

Then it cuts off, though it has an Ok button. Of course, that just brings me back to the exact same screen.

ColumbusGEEK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 07:10:33 pm »
Sounds to me like you are trying to use a UI that is not compatable.

go to admin>wizard>devices>media directors

then find the UI drop down and change it to UI1. 

It took me a good 10 minutes for it to rebuild the images then I was ok.

Vogateer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 04:28:28 am »
I have a mb (ASUS M2NPV-VM) with nVidia 6150 GPU, which should be able to handle it. For some reason the nvidia driver wasn't picked up. I tried to reinstall from scratch, and the initial install seems to work, but then I go into the first boot, and it hangs at the A/V Wizard, I believe. Left it there for hours just to make sure, but it went nowhere. Forced a reboot, and we'll see what I can get out of it, but that's the first sign of trouble. Could that be because my TV is awful? I get stuck on the same strange blue, green, and pink lines on the screen I mentioned earlier, which is what I see after I saw the words "A/V Wizard" or something similar about 70% into that first reboot after installing LinuxMCE.

Vogateer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 05:46:14 am »
Ha! Now during boot I get the usual messages, until it tries to re-export directories for NFS kernel daemon... I get this over and over again:

Code: [Select]
* Reloading /etc/samba/smb.conf...
Well, while I'm still writing this, I've managed to figure out that it was because I tried to manually change the xorg.conf file to reflect that I have an nvidia card, and tried to get it to use that instead of the awful vesa driver. What gives? I just realized that I don't even have the nvidia module, though I had it installed before I installed LinuxMCE. It was the only thing I set up before I installed it. Doing a lsmod | grep nvidia pulled up nothing, and modprobe nvidia says "Module nvidia not found". Wow, wasn't expecting that.

Do I need to force a reinstall of the nvidia module?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 06:29:43 am by Vogateer »

chronniff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 09:45:17 am »
Sounds to me like you are trying to use a UI that is not compatable.

go to admin>wizard>devices>media directors

then find the UI drop down and change it to UI1. 

It took me a good 10 minutes for it to rebuild the images then I was ok.

I can't find what your talking about, and I think this is my problem.....how do I change the UI? 

John Taylor

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 04:15:29 pm »
You can change the UI from web-admin on the section media directories and you have UI option in the bottom right corner and you have 3 options there. UI1 , UI2 without alpha blended and UI2 with alpha blended, I use UI2 with alpha-blended it is pretty cool with transparency.

chronniff

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 01:21:46 am »
yeah, I figured it out right after I made that post, this whole installation has gotten me so frazzled ......thanks for the reply though