Author Topic: Entertain Areas  (Read 7063 times)

mardibloke

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Entertain Areas
« on: July 26, 2012, 11:20:40 pm »

I 'get' the concept of 'Room' in that I can physically poke a bit of hardware that is located in a certain room.

Could someone explain to me what the term 'entertain areas'  means.

My simple view is a light switch/media playback device,  would apply only to the room it is in.

Perhaps an example would help me understand.

- --
Rod,  UK
| 12.04 32bit | Dianemo S | Dianemo Core | N810 | ASUS EeeBox PC B202 | AsRock 330 ION BR | WebDT362 | ZWave | AXIS Cameras |

PlatypusPedersen

• Regular Poster
  • Hugs?
    • View Profile
Re: Entertain Areas
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 12:02:57 am »
Have you read this Wiki entry here? It explains it better than I can...

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 12:11:34 am »
Have a look at the wiki, here:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Rooms

Essentially entertain areas means a couple of things, that a device can either be portable or able to reach other rooms (such as a stereo system), and also, and more-over, that rooms can be sub-divided into smaller bits (see the article). I guess the easiest way to look at it is in terms of sub-sets and overlapping areas... Mostly,  though, you'll be using media directors in the room that they were installed in, without too much overlap or sub-dividing going on.
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

mardibloke

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 12:18:10 am »
Thanks both,  in all my reading of the wiki,  very odd I must have skipped that page.

Pretty clear now.

- --
Rod,  UK
| 12.04 32bit | Dianemo S | Dianemo Core | N810 | ASUS EeeBox PC B202 | AsRock 330 ION BR | WebDT362 | ZWave | AXIS Cameras |

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 06:12:23 am »
Basically, think of an entertainment area as a pile of things in one corner of a room that can play or show media of some sort.

In a room, usually if a TV is there, it's one entertainment area, and all of the various things are hooked up to it.

Let's say you have TWO TVs in a room, each one is an entertainment area. If you look, it shows up in the Rooms section of your orbiter as another room. With each EA, the Media scenarios will change to match what is in an entertainment area, while the other scenario groups, Lighting, Climate, Security, and Telecom all will remain the same.

It's an extra dimension of flexibility within the system that not many will use, but those that will ,will be glad it's there.

-Thom

mardibloke

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 02:08:51 pm »
Thanks Thom.

I can think of rooms where I have ability to play low quality music on say TV speakers,   but then the other side of the room a device/speakers for higher quality music.  That would be handy for me.

- --
Rod,  UK

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 06:01:14 pm »
Ever think of patching the TV sound output through the audio system?!?! Then, you can have high quality audio while watching TV... Just a thought...
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 06:40:36 pm »
Ever think of patching the TV sound output through the audio system?!?! Then, you can have high quality audio while watching TV... Just a thought...

I think that point is exactly the reverse... there are some rooms where using the TV's on-board speakers is adequate.

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 09:36:13 pm »
I think that point is exactly the reverse... there are some rooms where using the TV's on-board speakers is adequate.

Andrew

Like eat-in kitchens?! Yeah,... I see your point...

mardibloke

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 01:45:11 pm »

Yes, that applies to me.  No point in running expensive speakers/amp/source for listening to low-fi sources like streaming radio stations.
- --
Rod,  UK