Author Topic: KVM/libvirt-friendly DVB-C tuner? [SOLVED / AVOIDED]  (Read 3853 times)

Sigg3.net

• Veteran
    • View Profile
KVM/libvirt-friendly DVB-C tuner? [SOLVED / AVOIDED]
« on: July 23, 2012, 02:45:38 pm »
Hi all!

I recently discovered that my Technisat CableStar HD2 DVB-C PCI tuner, which has some GNU/Linux support, does not offer the required FLReset capability that is needed for libvirt to passthrough the device to a virtual guest (KVM/libvirt on OpenSUSE 12). I am currently in contact with TechniSat to see if they have any firmware updates. In the meantime, I'm looking for other options. Maybe you can help?

If you are using a DVB-C tuner, you can find this information by running:
# sudo lspci -vv
in terminal, locate the right device and check out the DevCap features. A FLReset- is a nogo, and FLReset+ is what I need.

If anyone is using a DVB-C tuner, could you run this check for me, so that I don't have to buy more stuff I can't use:)

I will eventually move LMCE over to a dedicated, more eco-friendly machine, where the card will work natively, but at the time being I want to test it out virtually. I prefer PCI cards, but PCIe and USB cards with Linux support is OK.

Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 03:58:03 pm by Sigg3.net »

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
Re: KVM/libvirt-friendly DVB-C tuner?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 06:17:17 pm »
I'm interested in using KVM at some point in the (far) future. What processor are you using and what's the status of it's vt-d/vt-x support (or AMD equivalent)?

See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 12:01:11 am »
I'm interested in using KVM at some point in the (far) future. What processor are you using and what's the status of it's vt-d/vt-x support (or AMD equivalent)?

your question is not relevant if you're not going to buy some archaic cpu :-p
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 12:21:42 am »
your question is not relevant if you're not going to buy some archaic cpu :-p

Actually, I read that there are some cards (video capture cards in particular) that fail IO virtualization, even with a modern vt-d/vt-x capable processor, like one of the better i7s. I was just curious as to what he was running to know what level of hardware IO it supported under KVM.

I am soon going to be purchasing a couple of lab machines that will do double duty as high end MDs when I'm done with them, so I wanted to know if his were vt-x or vt-d capable. I'll likely be running Scientific Linux as the normal host OS, and have the MD's boot as virtual net-booted clients. That way, I'd always have the lab machine capabilities, if/when needed again in the future, on the fly, and even available while the MDs are being used,... without disturbing the family's use of the system.
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

Sigg3.net

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 03:42:39 pm »
It's a AMD Phenom X6 black edition.

This has nothing to do with the CPU (as hari suggested), since it virtualizes OTHER cards well. The card itself must be supported as pass-through enabled by checking for the FLReset+ flag. If it isn't, then it's a driver/KVM software problem.
You should be able to ask the reseller or manufacturer for this info.

What is a virtual net-booted client? Do you mean regular netboot or netboot on a virtual network?

Either way, my initial post is MOOT as I came across some cash just lying there waiting to be used on new hardware:)
Whenever I have time I will setup my Lmce as native.