Author Topic: HDMI nvidia HDA sound issues ZOTAC ZBOX (id41) - 1004  (Read 45476 times)

klanmce

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: HDMI nvidia HDA sound issues ZOTAC ZBOX (id41) - 1004
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2012, 03:07:51 am »
ardirtbiker

Did you compile the upgraded kernel manually to get the GT 550 working?

I have a GT 520 and am interested

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2012, 05:45:54 am »
I have discovered the problem... working on a solution now.
I never quit... I just ping out.

ardirtbiker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2012, 03:28:34 pm »
klanmce

no, I added a ppa  -->  ppa:kernel-ppa/ppa...   and found a kernel that would show the HDMI audio ports for my card  (which on a post somewhere I read that to get the nVidia GTX 550 Ti card to work properly in linux at least a 2.6.35 kernel is required)... and after the upgrade, the HDMI audio devices for my card showed up using aplay -l.

for the sake of 'troubleshooting', I did a fresh install of 1004 from the 26084 dvd image followed by a upgrade to bring it current... then i recreated my MD which has the nVidia card...   and yes... no HDMI audio and aplay -l does not report anything other than the mainboard audio device.

As l3mce stated he found an issue, I'm holding up any modifications to see what comes of his diligent work!

Dennis

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2012, 06:28:47 pm »
I am sorry to all of those trying to get audio over hdmi lately. I broke the **** out of it.

I believe that I have resolved these other issues (there is an upgrade available for both pluto-avwizard and pluto-boot-scripts)

I am actively working on it. There may now be a problem with the DTS check screen in avwiz... testing now... however... they are getting hdmi audio/dolby (where avail on output device) and will get audio if we bypass the last stage of avwizard, without any manual manipulation.

So... if I am not there... I am awful close. Please feel free to test... IF you have not already tried very hard to circumvent and installed ppas etc. If you have done this on an md... I would really appreciate it if you would, perhaps, tar up the MD (so you can reload it if you want to)... and then please upgrade your core, run Diskless_SetupTBZ.sh  and destroy and recreate the MD.

ardirtbiker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2012, 07:19:18 pm »
will do sir!

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2012, 11:17:36 pm »
One last remaining bug was crushing this.

I believe everything will be fixed once pluto-boot-scripts is built again.

So hold off on that until such time as our illustrious leader can tickle fluffy.

tompin2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2012, 11:26:32 pm »
Thanks L3mce,

I'm up to try anything, let us know if you need us to try anything.

Cheers,

T

ardirtbiker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2012, 12:49:33 am »
l3mce,
      Here's what Ive got:

Did a 'fresh' install of latest LMCE DVD.  Created 1st MD.   AVWizard did not see my nVidia HDMI audio ports at this time, however I got my S/PDIF audio.

Installed the updated pluto-avwizard and pluto-boot-scripts.  (also updated the pluto-x-scripts).  Rebooted the MD into AVWizard... still no nVidia HDMI ports available, and again I got S/PDIF audio.

Prior pluto-avwizard and pluto-boot-script would not even give me the S/PDIF audio (HDA ATI SB) .  So you have fixed something.

As for the nVidia HDMI audio ports on my display adapter (nVidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti)... I do believe the card requires at least a 2.6.35 kernel (I found it once in some document on the web, but cannot relocate it).  

That said... If I place a 2.6.38 kernel in my MD and dont run AVWizard, audio works thru the S/PDIF... however if I run AVWizard to select the HDMI on the nVidia card, I am unable to get audio on either the HDMI or S/PDIF.

I did notice that when running alsamixer and selecting the nVidia card, I show 4 S/PDIF ports and the 1st was unmuted already (not by me) and they're usually all muted... in actuality, the 2nd S/PDIF port is the one when un-muted I get audio from 'speaker-test -Dplug:surround71 -c8 -t sine -D hw:1,7'

see attachment.

Going to revert to the 2.6.32 kernel to get S/PDIF audio back.

Dennis

« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 01:32:39 am by ardirtbiker »

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2012, 02:59:56 am »
Can I please get the output of lspci -nn | grep VGA

I have been working on this for the last two days solid. I have many of the GT series working ootb with a couple of changes to a couple of files that are not yet in the repo. I need a few more days... or... if you are really anxious... you will note that there is a new snap in http://linuxmce.iptp.org/snapshots/    ending 459

you need to make sure your pciid is in nvidia-install.sh under Backports_Required... assuming it is not a revD card. And make sure it is under 260, not 295, again, unless it is a revD card. And you will need to add this to the bottom of Enable_Audio_Channels() in AVWizard_Run.sh
Code: [Select]
sleep 2
if aplay -l | grep "card 1" | grep "device 7" 2>&1> /dev/null; then
aplay -Dplughw:1,7 /usr/share/sounds/linphone/rings/orig.wav
fi

That MIGHT do it. Again... I am actively working on this. That will get you pretty close... unless you have one of the few revD cards... as I said. Again, in nvidia-install.sh you will see a revD list of pciids. Go ahead and post that first thing I asked for just cause.

ardirtbiker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2012, 03:27:00 am »
l3mce,
here is output you requested:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GF116 [GeForce GTX 550 Ti] [10de:1244] (rev a1)

I did not find the pci id 1244 in nvidia_install.sh.    I did find this http://www.pcidatabase.com/vendor_details.php?id=606 and found id 1244 down at the bottom in the table 'Pending new devices for this vendor'.

On MD creation, the nvidia driver 304.43 is being installed.

[    2.106758] uvesafb: NVIDIA Corporation, GF106B Board - 10500000, Chip Rev   , OEM: NVIDIA, VBE v3.0
[   23.188462] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
[   23.507329] NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module  304.43  Sun Aug 19 20:20:21 PDT 2012

will give the mod to AVWizard_Run.sh a try.

Thanks very much for your hard work,

Dennis
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 03:35:27 am by ardirtbiker »

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2012, 03:48:47 am »
Ok... I am not sure we can use 260 on this... but I would like to try. Move 1244 from DRIVER_295_SUPPORTED and put it in DRIVER_260_SUPPORTED, as well as adding it to Backports_Required in nvidia-install.sh.

The best way to make this change is after install completes from the dvd (assuming this is a hybrid) and you see a button that says "reboot now" drop to terminal and edit the file in /target/usr/pluto/bin/nvidia-install.sh. Once correct, then jump back to tty7 and hit the reboot button. Do not remove the install medium until it begins to actually reboot.

/target/   is the mounted install drive. Not changing it on /target/ will change it (temporarily) on the dvd and do nothing for you.

If this is an MD... well... there you have to change the file on your core, and then before the md reboots itself while it is being created (or if you catch the reboot and do not allow it to) cp the file from your core to the /usr/pluto/diskless/XX/usr/pluto/bin  directory.

Also make that other change to AVWizard_Run.sh as noted above. IF this does not work, it is a whole lot easier to revert than the other route. Let me know how it goes.

btw... those things labeled spdif handle the hdmi as well (digital is digital in this case). The new code blows those all into unmute, and a (strong) signal must be floated to device 7 before it will open it all up.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 03:51:00 am by l3mce »

ardirtbiker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2012, 03:59:19 am »
I'll give that a shot tomorrow after work... gonna relax and just watch a movie before bed (and while laundry is finishing). 

Dennis

ardirtbiker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2012, 03:48:11 am »
Worked on this after work today...

the nVidia GTX 550 Ti card (audio portion) will not show up unless a kernel >= 2.6.35 is running...  I tried the alsa backport modules.. but no change.

okay.. running a kernel that allows me to see the nvidia card audio..    
1.   modifying the nvidia-install.sh has no affect other than making the AVWizard start on every boot.... the end result is still having the 304.43 driver installed.
2.   modifying the AVWizard_Run.sh script has no affect other than unmuting the card 1, device 7 channel.  No AVWizard sounds are heard

Im gonna give it a rest for tonight...

Im thinking I might try running a live-cd of kubuntu 12.04 and see if HDMI audio works there...

Any more thoughts l3mce?

Dennis

PlatypusPedersen

• Regular Poster
  • Hugs?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2012, 06:06:34 pm »
Audio via HDMI on the id41 worked out of the box for me, using the snapshot dated 14th september.
I got audio both during the avwizard as well as when playing (most types of) media from the on-screen orbiter.

Many thanks to L3mce for working so hard on this. :)

tompin2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2012, 03:39:08 am »
Hello to all,

Here is the feedback I can five.

Fresh MD image rebuild and apt-get upgrade to the lastest and I get nothing at aplay -l.  Follow the hdmi wiki and download backport drivers and my hda nvidia is detected as card0

aplay -l gives this:
oot@moon50:~# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
alsamixer, all the outputs are muted, unmute all and do
speaker-test -c 2 -l 1 -t sine -D hw:0,7 with success output.

Modify asound.conf @ pluto/template so it sticks and my asound @ etc is like this every time I reboot

pcm_slave.convert {
@args [ RATE CARD DEV ]
@args.RATE {
type integer
}
@args.CARD {
type string
}
@args.DEV {
type integer
default 0
}
pcm {
@func concat
strings [ $CARD "," $DEV ]
}
rate $RATE
}

pcm.spdif_playback {
type plug
slave {
@func concat
strings [ "convert:RATE=48000,CARD=spdif:0" ]
}
}

pcm.hdmi_playback {
type plug
slave {
@func concat
strings [ "convert:RATE=48000,CARD=hdmi:0" ]
}
}

pcm.asym_spdif {
type asym
playback.pcm "spdif_playback"
capture.pcm "plughw:0"
}

pcm.asym_hdmi {
type asym
playback.pcm "hdmi_playback"
capture.pcm "plughw:0,7"
}

pcm.asym_analog {
type asym
playback.pcm "plug:dmix:0"
capture.pcm "plughw:0"
}
pcm.!default asym_hdmi

The problem is when I reboot, there is no sound UNLESS I execute the speakertest at the console.  After speaker-test is run, I have sound but there is NO AC3/DTS pass-through working.  Only 2ch is sent to the receiver, regardless of the configuration at the webadmin
If I try:

speaker-test -c 8 -l 1 -t sine -D hw:0,7

speaker-test 1.0.22

Playback device is hw:0,7
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 8 channels
Sine wave rate is 440.0000Hz
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 16 to 4096
Period size range from 8 to 2048
Using max buffer size 4096
Periods = 4
was set period_size = 1024
was set buffer_size = 4096
 0 - Front Left
 4 - Center
 1 - Front Right
 7 - Side Right
 3 - Rear Right
 2 - Rear Left
 6 - Side Left
 5 - LFE

The result is successful on all speakers.  Any hints?

Cheers,

T