Author Topic: New Android powered device, Ouya, has possibilities  (Read 6707 times)

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
New Android powered device, Ouya, has possibilities
« on: July 10, 2012, 05:31:45 pm »
This new Android powered "console" device has some real possibilities,... and will be pretty much completely open for developers...

More powerful than a Raspberry PI,... more hackable too...

Imagine this thing (or a successor version) running the Qorbitor, or even as a DCE router controlled mini-MD (with some kind of App plug-in for Android devices),... Wow!

Check out the Ars Technica article about the new Kickstarter announcement:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/07/99-ouya-wants-to-bust-down-console-gamings-walled-gardens/?comments=1&post=23040597#comment-23040597
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: New Android powered device, Ouya, has possibilities
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 07:24:53 pm »
yeah, and not available yet. I love how people jump to these things that aren't available. People that have access to pre-production models who are able to send those pre-production models to one of the devs, THOSE are the people I like. All the rest should start applying for a job as reporter for Engadget.

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 12:36:52 am »
Well, good point, but it's hardware is designed to be as generic as possible, so any completed or developmental Android projects should just work. On top of that, their Kickstarter funding has quadruped in the last 24 hrs... They're now 33% over full funding.

I just put in for one as a $99 backer... So, I should get one some time in March, if they hold their deadline.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 12:45:50 am by JaseP »
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 03:43:29 am »
hmm...

What ever happened to the Crunchpad?

Sorry, just be rhetorical.

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 07:31:36 am »
Released after a lawsuit as the JuJu... After (believed, but not proven) pay-offs from key Apple execs, to the Crunch-Pad's, key developer "partners" (nee; "traitors").

If you're being rhetorical,... just count on somebody calling your bluff.

I'd be happy to recount the history of the Crunch-Pad, along with other devices,... But an IP "discussion" is the last thing I want to have on these forums. Let's suffice it to say that there are a good number of now exonerated hardware and software developers who don't want this particular can of worms (re)opened ... And I'm MORE than happy to do so...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 07:38:52 am by JaseP »

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 01:37:28 pm »
* l3mce watches point rocket over jasep.
I never quit... I just ping out.

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 03:05:31 pm »
@ l3me:

Sorry,... It's just that the "IP Wars" just get to me... Seems you can't develop tech anymore, that someone sues you for their patent on icons that spin or dance or something else that's stupid... The CrunchPad is another example of that,... Yet another?! ... Some think tank recently patented a Bluetooth functionality that LinuxMCE has had for years, as another example ...

But back to point,... this Ouya device has blown through the roof of their Kickstarter startup funding goals in less than 24 hrs... So I highly doubt they'll end up as vaporware. And as a hackable device, with pretty much standard, but high end ARM hardware, anything related to LinuxMCE that runs on Android will run on this thing with little to no modification.

As I said,... I put in for one of these things. If anyone wants more detailed specs,... I can request detailed hardware/software specifications. The developers have said they will seriously consider giving those details to anyone with sincere interest... I'm sure they'd love to have a ton of developer support out of the box when production gets in full swing. That could even include some kind of DCE router plugin, if anyone involved with LinuxMCE has the technical background and interest to build some sort of Android related functionality like that,... even if it would require kernel mods and the like... So if anyone's inclined to tinker, let me know, and I'll make the request.

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 04:01:31 pm »
@ l3me:

Sorry,... It's just that the "IP Wars" just get to me... Seems you can't develop tech anymore, that someone sues you for their patent on icons that spin or dance or something else that's stupid... The CrunchPad is another example of that,... Yet another?! ... Some think tank recently patented a Bluetooth functionality that LinuxMCE has had for years, as another example ...

Crunch sued Fusion Garage... because FG took their product and released it without them... that is what the joojoo was. It was a total snow job on the part of Fusion... so... I am not sure where you are going with that. The conspiracy theory that apple was involved is just poo.
http://techcrunch.com/2010/09/15/status-of-crunchpad-litigation/
You partner with me, and run away with my product and try to sell it, I will sue the shit out of you too.

But back to point,... this Ouya device has blown through the roof of their Kickstarter startup funding goals in less than 24 hrs... So I highly doubt they'll end up as vaporware. And as a hackable device, with pretty much standard, but high end ARM hardware, anything related to LinuxMCE that runs on Android will run on this thing with little to no modification.

I think the point is that until it is real, it isn't real, and pouring a ton of energy into products that don't exist is not a reasonable expectation given the limited number of people who actually work on the stack.

As I said,... I put in for one of these things. If anyone wants more detailed specs,... I can request detailed hardware/software specifications. The developers have said they will seriously consider giving those details to anyone with sincere interest... I'm sure they'd love to have a ton of developer support out of the box when production gets in full swing. That could even include some kind of DCE router plugin, if anyone involved with LinuxMCE has the technical background and interest to build some sort of Android related functionality like that,... even if it would require kernel mods and the like... So if anyone's inclined to tinker, let me know, and I'll make the request.

I can't think of anything that we would need that they would want to build in... maybe golgoj or tschak or possy could come up with a quick wish list... but... this seems terribly unlikely that specific functionality would be built into the device for an open source project with a small but dedicated following. I just... I dunno. You have almost a year until you are supposed to get one. Learn our architecture in that time. I mean... ARM is ARM.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 04:13:37 pm by l3mce »
I never quit... I just ping out.

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 05:02:24 pm »
I just have an custom embroidered tin foil hat with regards to the lawsuit & timing of the crunchpad/juju release versus the release date of the original iPad,... it just seemed too convenient/suspicious to me... but enough of that...

What I'll do is see if I can get details on chipsets and specs on the kernel version of the firmware, and PM those involved with Rasberry PI, qOrbitor &/or ARM ports of the DCE router software with those, if the Ouya folks give them up... That way, the devs (here) can keep those specs in the back of their minds as they're doing their thing. It doesn't hurt to have info.

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 03:52:16 pm »
Update: They haven't replied to my inquiries,... but given their momentum, at the moment, I'm not surprised.

The XBMC folks have jumped on board, and while I understand it is possible to build a DCE wrapper for the network control capabilities associated with XBMC, it would be nicer to have the device controllable directly with LinuxMCE. XBMC is lipstick on a pig, as media centers go (in my opinion), like a (stereotypical) blonde,... pretty, but few brains compared to LinuxMCE. I'm not thinking full MD, here, by the way,... just the ability to control the thing, initiate media playback, etc. from LinuxMCE, and maybe a simple Orbiter, like a qOrbiter build for it (not to say someone else might have more optimistic dreams in mind).

Unfortunately, building any kind of DCE router driver or even a DCE wrapper is beyond my (present and foreseeable short-term) capabilities, but ... There's probably a coder out their with an interest in integrating Android devices with LinuxMCE. Plus, the Ouya folks are offering to make prototype boards available for developers ... And as I've said before, these things are dead simple/standard higher end Android fare, rootable and prime for hacking. Imagine it as a suped-up Raspberry PI with a pretty case and a game pad controller.

So, anyone with an interest in this sort of thing,... please find the announcement page on the Kickstarter here:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console/posts/283782?ref=activity

PS: Looks like they sold out the developer's special. But with $7.7M in the bank tomorrow, this is not likely to end up vapor-ware. And an SDK should become available closer to release. I would need to check the license terms for their market against the licenses associated with LinuxMCE/DCE Router for compatibility, but can't imagine they'd be incompatible, given the philosophy of this thing.