Author Topic: Hello everyone!!!  (Read 6384 times)

tehbard

• View Profile
Hello everyone!!!
« on: September 14, 2012, 05:09:16 am »
Hi everyone, I just wanted to pop in and introduce myself. Ive been following my roomies activity (armorgnome) with your project the past few months as we've begun integrating  our house. I hope to be able to contribute whatever assistance I can offer that would help. My background has been industrial electronics/process controls, mostly Allen Bradley but various exposure to many industrial PLC's, HMI's and various other hardware. I did not get into any of the newer RS-5000 or control logix but didnt see the point in it with dealing with my new limitations. So, my name is Dan, if there is anything I can do to help out, and its within my scope to help out, lemme know, I love a challenge.

Dan

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
Re: Hello everyone!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 05:15:42 am »
Hello!

Welcome to the party and be careful what you wish for!!

Im Langston, one of the devs on the project. Mainly, i work on gui related stuff. I don't know how much armorgnome has mentioned, but linuxmce is quite the complex system so don't hesitate to ask questions. Welcome!

-golgoj4
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 05:19:52 am »
Welcome! Bout time...

I also have a background in PLCs... Allen Bradley, Siemens (step 7 and the like)... OPTO22 etc... anyway.... welcome aboard. We are all very fond of your roommate.
I never quit... I just ping out.

tehbard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 05:30:16 am »
yeah, known him a long time, he actually got me started building my first computer way back in the day ... lol

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 06:29:55 am »
Glad the bug finally struck you!  I know for a while I wasn't making it seem like a very enjoyable hobby as I cursed and fought to do unsupported things with unsupported hardware (before I had working hardware to get my feet wet and see the processes)

Tehbard and I are both dreamers and like to look at systems like lmce and consider what 'else' can it do instead of what can it do (currently).  Way back in MMORPG playing days while I was adding 5-7 screens and crazy KVM solutions to get my in-game edge by playing multiple accounts at once, tehbard took a PLC and wired it into a keyboard to automate specific inputs with flawless timing.  This was for his bard character and was called "auto-bard", hence the name...  Immune to detection as third party software which would have violated the game's EULA, this is a good example of how I added and added and forced hardware to help me where he chose a interface based on his background.

Combined we hope to add some really trick features to our place and help other users do the same.  I will dream it and start it, so that tehbard can make sense of the GSM side.  Luxury is expensive, but we both understand that doesn't have to mean out-of-pocket, it can be out-of-hobby-time and learning new interfaces!

Btw, I have already mention wall-monkey, and the nickel it took to start it, on another thread.
I made a wiki!  Click here to check out my system.

tehbard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 04:16:26 pm »
ah yes, the old days .... and your beloved wallmonkey

good times!

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 12:09:14 am »
Welcome!

Like L3mce I have an industrial automation/PLC/DCS background.  Allen Bradley/PanelView, Modicon, Wonderware...

There is a lot to learn here and help available when you need it.  Have fun!

J.

tehbard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 06:01:39 am »
nice to see the smiley responses, thanks for the warm welcomes but wheres the frustrated cursing I hear from him? LOL

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 08:57:12 am »
I am Bongowongo, I am the most sane person on this forum.

bushtech

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 02:55:16 pm »
Hmmmm
Core:Asus P8H77-V, Intel core i3-3240 LGA155, Inno 3D Nvidia 240 GT (DVI+VGA+HDMI), 4Gb ram, 125Gb SSD
MD: Zotax Zbox ID41