Author Topic: Dianemo S - Control LG TV RS232  (Read 5149 times)

fibres

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LinuxMCE 08.10 RC Mirror.
Dianemo S - Control LG TV RS232
« on: July 16, 2012, 04:04:31 pm »
Hi Guys

I am wondering if anyone has a step-by-step guide to setting up RS232 control of LG tvs in Dianemo?

I have looked on the LMCE wiki and says it should be plug and play but it does not seem to be in Dianemo.

I have tried adding a LG device and also Generic Serial devices in the AV Devices category and set them to controlled by the LivingRoom MD and selected the com port.

This does not seem to work. However this could be linked to my other post where I suspect my media_config is not working.

Is there a way to test the serial control without using media_config?

I have the tv connected via a USB-RS232 and a Null-Modem gender changer.

Regards

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
Re: Dianemo S - Control LG TV RS232
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 06:23:22 pm »
Hi Guys

I am wondering if anyone has a step-by-step guide to setting up RS232 control of LG tvs in Dianemo?

I have looked on the LMCE wiki and says it should be plug and play but it does not seem to be in Dianemo.

I have tried adding a LG device and also Generic Serial devices in the AV Devices category and set them to controlled by the LivingRoom MD and selected the com port.

This does not seem to work. However this could be linked to my other post where I suspect my media_config is not working.

Is there a way to test the serial control without using media_config?

I have the tv connected via a USB-RS232 and a Null-Modem gender changer.

Regards

Hi Fibres,

I will try and get a section added to the wiki asap that covers to the topic of adding/controlling serially controlled devices using the DCEwhisperer framework. We have loads of example code so its just a matter of knocking it into shape and putting it up on the wiki.

In the meantime I have added a section to the wiki on using TestSerial to text that a serial device of any kind is communicating; http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Dianemo_S#Setting_up_.26_Testing_Serial_Devices

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

fibres

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 07:29:06 pm »
Hi Andrew.

Thanks for that. I am eager to get my TV being controlled by my system. At least I can test out sending commands to the TV and see if it is actually working.

Do you have anything rough you can send on setting this up?

Regards

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 08:49:46 pm »
I finished setting up my LG rs232 tv last night and it took a while to get into working order.  Fortunately LG is really good about giving their serial port settings and commands in their product manuals free from their site.

My model is a 60PV250.
Using template LG>Plasma/LCD/Projectors>232 controlled [newer models]
I had to assign this to my CORE and not to The core/hybrid
specified com method was /ttyS0
changed a few commands to match the manual, 01 and 00 were swapped for power on, [k][a] for
  • here and there etc.

changed the delay between commands, I noticed the tv only taking a few or the first command when a sequence was sent
removed some commands for tuner control as my setup has this device as end of the line display only.  I do not pull any video back off its tuners

I made a wiki!  Click here to check out my system.

fibres

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 10:12:51 pm »
Hi Armor

How did you go about setting this up and configuring the device?

I have added a Generic LCD RS232 device to my A.V Equipment but cannot seem to get it setup.

Regards

fibres

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 10:30:53 pm »
Ok

Well I have used the TestSerialPort command with the commands from /usr/pluto/pnp/20_LG_TV and I get no response.

Should I be using a Straight through cable or a crossover?

The LG manual is contradicting. On the diagram it shows a straight through but on the specs says crossover.

Regards

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 01:00:18 am »
I will be glad to go back through my setup and make specific notes on my settings, once I am home this evening.

I cannot remember the name of the GUI interface I downloaded and played with... Gtport or something...

I connected a male to male serial cable from my core to my tv.  Then using the manual I was able to talk directly through /ttyS0 to my TV.  At first I saw a lot of NG replies and illegal command returns '00' but eventually got it to do my bidding.

Here is something you need to establish first that I overlooked.  The TV has a definable ID, you set this with the original remote via menu.  If the TV is calling itself 99 and you send commands to 01, you won't even get an ack.
I made a wiki!  Click here to check out my system.