Author Topic: indooratlas  (Read 14797 times)

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
Re: indooratlas
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 04:14:59 pm »
As I said before, bluemon could do that part,... but someone would have to throw a DCE router wrapper around it. It might be possible to write a basic phone app to do it, as well, and have it send a signal to Core about where it is...
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 04:40:54 pm »
and that would give us what exact benefit over the currently working Bluetooth_Dongle DCE device with built in Orbiter for RA solution?
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2012, 05:49:58 pm »
Hari, The trick is finding a way to extend the Bluetooth_Dongle to handle more than the classic Pluto orbiter, which...really is very long in the tooth, and not supported at all by anything new. At all. ever. I know of almost nobody using it.

-Thom

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2012, 07:21:31 pm »
and that would give us what exact benefit over the currently working Bluetooth_Dongle DCE device with built in Orbiter for RA solution?

I have to admit,... Since I don't have auto detect follow-me support set up on my system, I didn't actually know how that works until I looked at the wiki, just now,...

The only advantages, I would guess, over the current Bluetooth support would be

1) To auto detect the device and automatically transfer the media room to room, without the user having to select the follow-me function or otherwise acknowledge the transfer to the new room...
2) A potential for more accuracy based on tuning the action to signal strength and
3) Potentially more compatibility with the use of cheap USB adapters that all have the same MAC address (a common problem with those $1-$5 knock-off adapters), since the detection on the LinuxMCE side would be passive.

The downside is that you might have to tune/train the system better based on signal strength (particular to specific devices). But as far as I read, that might be related to the problem of signal overlap where rooms are close to each other and adapters have long-ish range.

I'm not saying it's worth making a wholesale change or addition in LinuxMCE to do it that way... I'm just saying it might be more like the "automagic" functionality that stedaniels is looking to have, without importing a whole new, complex, unknown and proprietary system.

The idea of uninitiated (free from user activation) auto sensing capabilities is a very cool one, though... When I got turned onto the idea of home automation, I imagined a system where I would drive up to my house, the garage door would open, detect I was inside, and after I closed the door would unlock the inside garage door, as well as announce any messages I might have and/or set lighting, media, etc. to my desired pre-sets. LinuxMCE has all the backbone for that to happen, ... It's the details that need to be worked out. But, again, I don't know that changing anything major in the system would be helpful, at this point, and additions are all speculatory, too.

I'm guessing that a good coder, familiar with USB, could harvest code from bluemon and other projects to augment/clean-up LinuxMCE's current Bluetooth functionality (with attribution and releasing under the appropriate licenses,  of course). Unfortunately, I don't code (at least, yet). And I don't personally know anyone, interested in home automation, who codes.
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).