Author Topic: ERROR: Error creating device.  (Read 3439 times)

mortar

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
ERROR: Error creating device.
« on: March 25, 2007, 04:15:17 pm »
Receiving this error when trying to create a new Media Director.  Currently the list is blank. Anyone else get this?

John Taylor

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: ERROR: Error creating device.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 08:46:16 am »
That is pretty weird can you give more details? When you add a MD you supose to turn on the pc you use as a MD and on the onscreen orbiter from the hybrid you should receive a message asking you if you want to add it or not.

gsimp_1976

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 08:15:14 pm »
I don't want to just be a "Me Too", but I have also received this error.  I'll give some details about my setup:

I have LinuxMCE installed as a dedicated core on a spare machine I had sitting around.  It has dual network cards as suggested, and I have it set up with DHCP also as suggested.

I understand from the instructions that I need to add a Media Director (with MAC address) for the  machine that I would like to connect to my TV.  I have found the MAC address, and the machine is set up to boot from network. 

When I go to Wizard->Devices->Media Directors, the list is empty, not surprisingly.  I see a header that includes: "Device     Room     Output     Pipes     Input           Device data     Action" etc.  and a "Add Device" button.  When I click that button it opens a pop-up window titled "Pick Device Template".  I have tried many different combinations of manufacturers, templates etc, but no matter what I do when I click the "Pick device template" button the pop-up window closes and I get the error message: ERROR: Error creating device.

I am not very familiar with Linux, so I am pretty willing to assume that I have done something incorrectly.  I didn't encounter any errors during the setup process of either Ubuntu or LinuxMCE, so I'm not sure where to look next.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 08:21:21 pm by gsimp_1976 »

gsimp_1976

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 09:12:26 pm »
First off I must apologize for my prior post.  I am an idiot, and apparently can't read instructions.

Secondly, let me explain the problem in case someone else follows in my erroneous footsteps.

I didn't bother going to Applications->Sound & Video->Start Media Center.  That seems to be all the problem was.  So if you're trying to do things in the Admin interface, and it's not working out for you, just start up the Media Center and magically it's all good.

Hope that helps anyone as foolish as I have been.