Author Topic: Cloud intergration  (Read 7864 times)

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Cloud intergration
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 07:36:13 am »
Seriously, are none of you listening to what I'm saying?

LOOK AT OUR EXISTING ARCHITECTURE, UNDERSTAND IT, THEN EXTEND IT TO FIT THE FEATURES WANTED, INSTEAD OF DUCT TAPING OVER THEM!

-Thom

Hey man I understand what you're saying.  You need to know OC and MCE in order to integrate them.  I just provided a way to test OC so you can integrate. 

Like I said, I already have this running.  It works awesome for me. If I had to create a Pros and Cons list for MCE, the fact that all the systems that make MCE is on one box and is almost impossible to seperate will be number one on my CON list.  It's not a dig at MCE, I 100 million percent understand why all the systems are balled into one appliance but I can afford mutiple server, I couldn't care less about the electric bill, and I'm used to managing multiple servers in an environment.  In my setup Owncloud, MCE, and my nas are on seperate boxes and I wouldn't have it any other way.  If it's a band aid, so be it.  I can take down MCE for a day or two with out losing cloud access and vise versa.  For that matter my nas is clustered so I can even take down the nas with out affecting MCE or the Cloud.

However, in keeping with the nature of MCE and the way the vast majority of you use it, owncloud seems like a perfect addidion to the family.  I'm mearly making a suggestion here, I could have kept it to myself but I really think it would be a great asset to MCE.  You couldn't possible expect me to dissmantle whats working for me to help build something I wont use. 

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 09:28:19 am »
klovell,

well said.

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 05:24:47 pm »
Seriously, are none of you listening to what I'm saying?

LOOK AT OUR EXISTING ARCHITECTURE, UNDERSTAND IT, THEN EXTEND IT TO FIT THE FEATURES WANTED, INSTEAD OF DUCT TAPING OVER THEM!

-Thom

Dude,... Baby steps,... seriously... You (meaning me or another non-developer, not you personally) can't just jump in and throw something in there without understanding it first. Klovell has Owncloud working, separately, but I've never played with the thing,... I need to experiment with it. I haven't had time.

And, I've asked about how I might ditch the onscreen keyboard, and have gotten no response (seriously, absolutely zero,... crickets)...

There is nothing in the wiki that describes the system architecture in any meaningful way. It's a bit like trying to play chess without anyone explaining how the pieces move. And every time someone asks a question people jump down their throats.

Plus, klovell has got a point about separable systems. It's the very reason I use a MCV Vera versus using LinuxMCE to do the Z-wave dirty work. I personally would rather have Owncloud running on the Core, but his thing works for him...

On top of all that, I've got all my normal obligations, plus a father in the hospital, which I'm sure you can relate to... So, I haven't had time to schedule a bathroom break, let alone work on any of my projects.

I'll look into getting this thing running, but it'll take time (I don't even have my ATA set up yet). Anyone is welcome to beat me to the punch ...
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2012, 05:49:48 pm »

Will any of the following packages conflict with anything that LinuxMCE is running??:

apache2 php5 php5-json php-xml php-mbstring php5-zip php5-gd

and/or:

php5-sqlite curl libcurl3 libcurl3-dev php5-curl php-pdo

The first are packages required by Owncloud. The second are recommended packages.
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, 02:51:29 am »

Will any of the following packages conflict with anything that LinuxMCE is running??:

apache2 php5 php5-json php-xml php-mbstring php5-zip php5-gd

and/or:

php5-sqlite curl libcurl3 libcurl3-dev php5-curl php-pdo

The first are packages required by Owncloud. The second are recommended packages.

Create a phpinfo.php page  to see if LinuxMCE already meets the minimum requirements.  I ran it on my Dianemo system and it looks like it's already capable of accepting owncloud.  If linux MYSQL is like windows mysql (I can't see why it would be different), I don't see why the 2 db's couldn't co-exist.  When using mysql you can pick the name and path of the db during initial setup.  As I said before though, I would use SQlite for testing just so I don't break MCE.

Code: [Select]
<?php

// Show all information, defaults to INFO_ALL
phpinfo();

?>

I'm willing to help i'm just not going to blow away my system to do it so my help will be limited.  From configuring this and using it for some time i've already identified a few caveats and workarounds that will have to be addressed when integration time comes.  I don't think they're huge issues since who ever does the integration would be touching these areas of oc anyway.  For example, the web interface pulls in hidden files, so to reduce clutter you'll want to apply filters when the site scans the data folder.  From what I gather that should be pretty easy for anyone who knows php. 

Let me know if you have any questions about OC and how i'm using it.  Send me a PM, i'm not on the forums much but I get emails when people PM me.