Author Topic: mythv seems to have died  (Read 15450 times)

maverick0815

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
mythv seems to have died
« on: July 02, 2012, 10:17:44 pm »
That is currently the message I get on both the core and the md, when I try watching TV. After that, I get dumped to the mythtv-menu where I can select WATCH...and can watch live tv for about 20 seconds....then I get crashed back to the orbiter.
I did around 4 or 5 complete installs during the weekend, including another two I did today. The result so far has been unchanging. On the plus side of it, I can at least use Asterisk to make calls again, but I don't consider this a good trade off :-D
Anyways, so far I did notice, that there is always a problem with downloading v4l2...I see a corresponding message everytime when I reload router.
So far I was able to scan for channels with my nova hd-s2 card...but really watching TV seems no longer possible.
I would really appreciate, if someone more knowledgeable than me could help me getting mythtv to get working again.
until then,

yours faithfully

Mario

PS: stupid me...I forgot: running 1004, net-install
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 01:04:52 pm by maverick0815 »

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
Re: mythv seems to have died
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 10:33:12 pm »
This also happens intermittently with my two HDhomeruns (2 tuners each). It is usually resolved with a quick Force Reload Router,... but I am not familiar enough with how the system actually operates, under the hood, to diagnose the problem...

I'd be completely guessing,... but I'm thinking that it could be MythTV running up against either a file system problem or network latency error. I also note that it tends to happen when the system has been running for a while,... making me suspect that maybe it's a memory leak or a race condition or some process that is running in the background that is the culprit.

Anyway, I'm guessing the root of the problem lies with MythTV. I know the devs have been wringing their hands with it a while...
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

maverick0815

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 10:43:53 pm »
Well, thats interesting...up until the latest update it was working, but I checked the timeline in svn.linuxmce.org...there was nothing showing...at least in my understanding, that was related to mythtv.
So thats that.

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 10:59:23 pm »
It doesn't have to be in MythTV for it to effect MythTV, ... MythTV is dependent on a bunch of other packages, any one of which could be causing the errors ...

Since you seem to not be able to help but produce the problem, and it only effects me intermittently, I would suggest you be the one to file a bug report. By the way, I'm on 10.04, net installed...
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

Andanotherusername

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 06:12:14 am »
same here. I cannot figure out what caused the problem, because after the first reboot everything worked 100%. Now, Mythtv starts with error message that backend died. Previous upgrade was  6/16/12. I noticed that lmce-mythtv-scripts, pluto-mythtv-player were upgraded. Let me know when you find the problem/solution

maverick0815

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 06:53:31 am »

Andanotherusername

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 08:06:26 am »
I went into /var/cache/apt/archives, and I reinstalled (sudo dpkg -i package.deb) all old LMCE packages that were updated. Now it works again
I noticed that the pluto-xine-player_2.0.0.45.XX modprobed bttv (I only use HD-PVRs). It could be that this is the problem package. Try this first before you do all the other packages (many). Do not forget to do it on Core and directors. If this is the problem package update the ticket :)
If anybody doesn't know what to do, then post a comment and I will explain it in more detail (steps to do). It is late and I am tired (and I hope that the LMCE gurus will fix this)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 08:15:36 am by Andanotherusername »

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 08:39:24 am »
pluto-xine-player has been modprobing bttv since forever.

gadget

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 08:54:03 am »
I was having a similar problem a while back on LMCE and Dianemo S. I resolved it by replacing the video card with a newer/faster Nvidia GT440 which worked on the core but when I watched on an MD i was still getting errors.

I think that you also need to make sure that the Core/MD and mythtv are configured for VDPAU.

gadget

maverick0815

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 10:07:05 am »
I'm not certain if I could reinstall something from the cache on a new install

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 12:58:00 pm »
I was having a similar problem a while back on LMCE and Dianemo S. I resolved it by replacing the video card with a newer/faster Nvidia GT440 which worked on the core but when I watched on an MD i was still getting errors.

I think that you also need to make sure that the Core/MD and mythtv are configured for VDPAU.

gadget

Oh, great, ... I can't install video cards on my equipment, ... They're small footprint machines ... Plus, I run 10.04, net install.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 11:19:05 pm »
<possy> whoever has a problem with mythtv, please downgrade pluto-dcecommon using the following commands:
<possy> wget http://deb.linuxmce.org/ubuntu/dists/lucid/beta2/binary-i386/pluto-dcecommon_2.0.0.45.12062726126_i386.deb
<possy> sudo dpkg -i pluto-dcecommon_2.0.0.45.12062726126_i386.deb
<possy> reboot, and report back

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 12:14:35 am »
Thanks,...

Do we have to rebuild Media Directors after?

polly

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 12:31:45 am »
<possy> whoever has a problem with mythtv, please downgrade pluto-dcecommon using the following commands:
<possy> wget http://deb.linuxmce.org/ubuntu/dists/lucid/beta2/binary-i386/pluto-dcecommon_2.0.0.45.12062726126_i386.deb
<possy> sudo dpkg -i pluto-dcecommon_2.0.0.45.12062726126_i386.deb
<possy> reboot, and report back

worked for me!

cheers,
ochorocho

bugui

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 01:29:39 am »
It works for me too!!