Author Topic: Mythtv backend not connecting  (Read 3891 times)

prokoro

• View Profile
Mythtv backend not connecting
« on: August 20, 2012, 05:59:29 pm »

Sorry,

I have two error messages whenever i start mythtv. 1) Could not connect to master backend server is it running? Is the IP address set up for the setup program correct? and 2) Mythtv is using all inputs but there is no active recordings.

I don't know what to do everything else is working sound, video, the tv card has been detected mythtv is the only problem...
thank you for any help

maverick0815

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Mythtv backend not connecting
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 06:13:24 pm »
what version are you running? 8.10, 10.04, dvd or netinstall? perhaps that kind of information will help.

as for me, I'm running 10.04 beta dvd-install..I too experience quite some instability with mythtv like you describe. After a few trials it finally starts.
I don't know if its related, but I'm also having an issue with booting an md, that it sets the drives in the core as offline see here: http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php/topic,12770.0.html
after doing that, it seems to be a little less reluctant to start, but its not were it used to be.
-----------
I just wondered....how responsive is your system now? I did a fresh install with the dvd, because I probably had screwed something up earlier...but still...it seems to me that everything is just taking so much longer now.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 08:02:55 pm by maverick0815 »

Schmich

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 09:47:14 pm »
I am not 100% of this but it might be correct. The times where I've had that error is when I've just searched for channels in MythTV-setup and it's receiving the EPG. This should mean that it's using the tuner to download all the channel data. I usually just wait and do something else for some hours and reboot before trying again.

If you ever get the problem of being in a vicious cycle when launching MythTV (where the display cycles between the "1" screen, "Watch Recordings" and I think another one) I think it's due to one of the cards that don't have a proper starting channel - or something along those lines that one card isn't properly configured. Solution here is to configure it or delete it from mythtv-setup.

Also, which card do you have? And, have you searched/found some channels? Just because a card is detected doesn't mean it's working properly unfortunately. I think in most cases it does, but not all. I have a HVR-4000 that got detected. However, DVB-S still required me me to change the firmware and DVB-T (even though found) cannot work since there's some kind of bug in the kernel.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 09:50:28 pm by Schmich »

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 09:58:59 pm »
I would see that same error when I had incorrectly configured channels... For a lot of Cable Co.'s you need to do some manual tweaking to make the channels configuration work. Even when you had most of them set up correct, you'd still get dropped out if you attempted to lock onto a badly configured one...
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

prokoro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 10:43:48 pm »
Yes, my card was detected and configure during setup about 30 channels were found. I have a hauppauge hybrid wintv-hvr 950q card(usb). I did a dvd install and im using linuxmce 10.04. Thank you for responding I may try to reinstall the software to see if they was a error when installing the first time.

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 10:48:01 pm »
I don't necessarily think it's the software. I think it might be the channels configuration, which is different. If you have a Schedules Direct account, many times the (cable) channels lists are not provided with the frequencies you need to match them up... In which case you get problems...
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 11:12:41 pm »
More questions for you...

As per Maverick0815 and Schmich,...
  • Version of LinuxMCE & how was it installed?
  • Is this the Core/Hybrid?
  • Are you using a cable provider or OTA (over the air)?
  • Do you have a Schedules Direct account?
  • If yes to Sched. Direct & cable,... what does the Sched. Direct website have to say about your channels list?
  • When your scan is complete, what does the channels data look like (you can see channels in the MythTV setup screens & the MythTV web config,... not to be confused with the LinuxMCE web admin.)?
  • Have you altered any data in the MythTV setup,... like IP address? (You should probably let the Wizard do this for you)

If you let us know the above info, we may be able to help. I don't think a re-install is the answer.

Thanks...