Author Topic: Can Dianemo iOS Orbiter be used for a non Dianemo linuxmce installation?  (Read 8329 times)

Avner

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Hello,

I downloaded the app Dianemo iOS Orbiter (version 1.5) from the App store to my iPod Touch (version 4.2.1)
From what I read the Dianemo iOS Orbiter is based on the RoamingOrb app that works (partially) on my iPod.
I have a general lmce  (8.10) installation - not a Dianemo installation. Can the Dianemo iOS Orbiter app be used to control lmce in such case?
If yes:
1. How do I configure the following fields, in the Configuration tab:
    a) Installation number
    b) Device number
2. Where do I fill in the Port number (similar to the Port (3461) in the configuration of the RoamingOrb app)?

Thanks,
Avner
Asus P5GD2-X, Intel i915P/G, Pentium 4 3.2 GHz, 2.5GB, nvidia Geforce 8800, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1850

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
did you bother searching the wiki for ios orbiter?  http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Dianemo_iOS_Orbiter

Avner

• Veteran
    • View Profile
I looked at the wiki for ios orbiter.
The wiki is not specific if the Dianemo iOS Orbiter, can work on regular (non Dianemo) lmce installations.
The wiki instructs to “Check http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Web_Orbiter_2.0 for the Device Number”. I tried setting the device number to the possible template numbers (Generic Web Device: 1748, Generix Proxy Orbiter: 1749). It didn’t help. The connection still fails.
Also, where do I fill the Dianemo Systems 5 digit installation number from?

Thanks,
Avner
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 06:59:52 pm by Avner »
Asus P5GD2-X, Intel i915P/G, Pentium 4 3.2 GHz, 2.5GB, nvidia Geforce 8800, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1850

fibres

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LinuxMCE 08.10 RC Mirror.
Hi Avner

Yes the Dianemo orboter can be used with LinuxMCE.

To get the installation number go into linuxmce webadmin.

Click configuration, devices I think it is and it will tell you the installation number on the left had side of page above the device tree.

If you find the weborbiter you created in the wiki instructions on how to create a web_orbiter_2.0 it should show you the device number.

If you still have problems post back. I am not at home so cant see exactly where info is.

Once you have put the settings in I usually find I have to close the dianemo orbiter on the ipod and reload for it to connect.

Regards

Avner

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Hi fibres,
Thanks for posting the comments.

I followed your instructions and extracted the installation number from the top left corner of the main lmce-admin page. I then restarted the iPod (did not find a way to close the app) but the connection still fails. I tried unsuccessfully to connect using locally and remotely.
The wiki page Dianemo iOS Orbiter in http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Dianemo_iOS_Orbiter mentions:
•  Installation No. - enter your Dianemo Systems 5 digit installation id or your LinuxMCE installation number in this field.
•  Device No. - enter the device number of the 'Generic Web Device' here ** Not a port number as in v1.0 **.

My questions:
  • The installation number in the main lmce-admin page has 7 digits, not 5.
  • I’m not sure exactly, which device number to use? I tried both again - Generic Web Device: 1748 and Generix Proxy Orbiter: 1749
    Is there
  • still a need to specify the port number somewhere else (the wiki instructs not to specify it in the “Device Number” field)?

Staying hopeful.
Avner
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 04:22:24 am by Avner »

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
avner,

a Device Template number is not a Device number. The device number is number of the device that is being created on your system probably a 2 or 3 digit number.

Re installation ID: As has been said numerous times by Andrew, that number is only relevant in case you have a Dianemo system, as it will allow remote access to your system via a Dianemo server.

Avner

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Posde,

a Device Template number is not a Device number. The device number is number of the device that is being created on your system probably a 2 or 3 digit number.
I tried using both device numbers. Still no connection (In my case these are: Device #46: iPod Touch Orbiter, Device #47: Generic Proxy Orbiter).

Re installation ID: As has been said numerous times by Andrew, that number is only relevant in case you have a Dianemo system, as it will allow remote access to your system via a Dianemo server.
So in my case where the installation number is irrelevant, leaving this field with my lmce 7 digit installation number would not hurt, right? (I get an error message: Incomplete form data if leaving it blank).

Regarding local / remote connection, from what I understand:
• Connecting on the internal interface (192.168.80.1) requires local connection.
• Connecting using the ISP IP (e.g. 108.172.78.127) requires remote connection, and may only be possible if you have a Dianemo system.
• Connecting on the external interface within the lan (192.168.1.62) requires ??? connection.
In my case,  I am trying to connect using the external Ip address of the Core within the lan (192.168.1.62). I tried both local and remote connections. What connection should I use?

Avner
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 05:36:25 pm by Avner »

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
local, and you have to disable the firewall on your core.

Avner

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Posed,

local, and you have to disable the firewall on your core.
I already can connect using the WebOrbiter, so firewall is not a problem. (My firewall configuration has: Advance / Network / Firewall rules / IPv4 Firewall disabled)

Here are my settings:
Description: iOs Orbiter
Installation number: 1025897
Device number: 47 (tried also 46)
User name: avner
Password: *****
Nerve Centre IP: 192.168.1.62

Using "Connect locally"

With this I think I have covered all the possible options.
What else could be wrong?

Thanks,
Avner

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
47 looks okay. does 46 work as the web orbiter? Oh, and make sure the username and password are correct as well.

fibres

• Guru
    • View Profile
I would say it would more than likely be device 46 not 47 as its usually the main device it needs.

Try hooking the iPod upto an access point on the lmce internal LAN and connect to 192.168.80.1 and leave the username and password blank.

That was how I had it setup.

Regards

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
When selecting the web orbiter, you select the Generic Proxy Orbiter device, when looking for the iOS device ID you select the Generic Web Device.

Avner

• Veteran
    • View Profile
I created an internal lan using a Linksys switch (WRT54G). I connected the Linksys device to the secondary network and followed the instructions in http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G - specifically, I set the Linksys IP address to 192.168.1.130 and disabled the DHCP server.

I added the iPod to the internal network. I had to set up the IP address statically, to be on the 192.168.80.xx network (I set the iPod to 192.168.80.132 with gateway of 192.168.80.130).
I changed the settings in the Dianemo app as follows:
Device number: 47
User name: (blank)
Password: (blank)
Nerve Centre IP: 192.168.80.1

If the iPod IP address is configured statically, with these settings I can:
Connect with the Dianemo app as well as the RoamingOrb app on the internal lan.
Connect to the Linksys gateway (192.168.80.130)
Connect to lmc-admin page (192.168.80.1)
However, I can not connect with my iPod to the Internet. >:( >:(

If the iPod IP address is configured dynamically, it gets an address outside the 192.168.80.xx range (e.g. 192.168.1.70). I then can see the Internet but can not access the Core (e.g. the Dianemo app fails to connect).

I don’t understand why the iPod IP address is set to an address which is outside the 192.168.80.xx range (e.g. 192.168.1.70) if it is set up dynamically.

Avner
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 10:33:49 am by Avner »

fibres

• Guru
    • View Profile
That sounds strange. Are you sure you have disabled the DHCP on the Wrt54G? If the ipod is getting a different ip address you must either still have dhcp enabled or have a link between your internal and external network.

Your network should be something like the following.

Internet Modem/Router <--->  LMCE Core <---> WRT54G <---> iPod

Regards

Avner

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Fibres,

I have exactly the network settings that you mentioned. The secondary nic (192.168.80.1) is wired to one of the linksys LAN ports.
The attached images show the Linksys setting details:
Snapshot1 - Basic setup - the local IP address is set to 192.168.80.130. DHCP Server is disabled.
  I’m not sure what the combo item: Automatic Configuration – DHCP in the Internet setup section means:
  I set the address of the Linksys to 192.168.80.130 in the Router IP section,
  and the DHCP server is disabled in the section: Network Address Server Settings (DHCP)
Snapshot2 - Wireless setup - the DHCP server is disabled. The name of the network is unique (MoshkovitzLinuxMCE_Linksys) so when I connect to it using my iPod, there is no option that I’m on a different network mistakenly.
Snapshot3 - Local network – Another indication that DHCP server is disabled.

Yet, when I’m connecting with the iPod to this network, the iPod IP address is set to 192.254.95.149, which is outside the range of the 192.168.80.xx.
I’m puzzled where the iPod gets that address from?

Avner
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 05:13:11 am by Avner »