Author Topic: Time to update your whole system? Try GlobalUpgrades.sh Need testers.  (Read 19831 times)

avajon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Time to update your whole system? Try GlobalUpgrades.sh Need testers.
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 11:46:12 pm »
wow. such a great user support from you! :)

I think you're right, fresh install is much secure. Because what shouldn't happen in any case is that something goes wrong and the data from the big disk is away... WAF would be zero :)

Thanks, so will try the snapshot.

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 11:50:50 pm »
Exactly, if something goes terribly wrong, your 810 install is sitting there, untouched, to fall back on.

Keep in mind with the 1004 snapshot that everything is embedded. You do not need to run Diskless_CreateTBZ.sh anymore. Just get your core install finished, and plug MDs in. If you run into any issues, please let me know. I am usually available in irc as well for troubleshooting.
I never quit... I just ping out.

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2012, 11:20:12 pm »
Ok... so it is a lot lighter weight now.
I have added some pruning to get rid of old package files that are replaced by newer ones rather than keeping 800 versions of packages.
I have added some logic to remove more than 2 backups of /usr/pluto/diskless removing the oldest, so there will never be more than 3 total.
I have also excluded directories that cause harmless but annoying socket errors from tar.

pedplar

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2012, 06:33:11 am »
I get an error.

brent@dcerouter:~$ sudo ./GlobalUpgrades.sh
./GlobalUpgrades.sh: line 42: syntax error near unexpected token `then:'
./GlobalUpgrades.sh: line 42: ` if [[ "$backup_Number" -gt "1" ]] then:'
brent@dcerouter:~$

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2012, 03:31:40 pm »
Sorry for the typo... fixed... thanks for testing.

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2012, 08:40:17 pm »
Hi,

I upgraded a core/hybrid with ATI card and VGA/analog audio.

2 MD's - one to a 1080p TV using a Revo 330 nvidia ION and HDMI audio/video.
            - second to a 720p TV using an AOpen DE7000 nvidia and HDMI audio/video.

Everything seems fine.

The DE7000 is a new addition (dumpster diving find) and on initial setup, prior to upgrade, AVwizard didn't want to adjust the screen size smaller.

The screen size is a little big.

I'll check TV settings and if nothing is found try xorg adjustments as per another post.

Great job l3!

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2012, 09:36:19 pm »
From core, where XX is your moon number
Code: [Select]
sudo ssh moonXX
rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf.pluto.avwizard
reboot

Will probably be fine.

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 01:37:14 pm »
Hi,

That did it. 

After reboot with AVwizard I could zoom in/out screen size to fit properly.

Thanks l3.

Cheers

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2012, 04:06:33 am »
Hi,

I forgot to mention that I did not have a xorg.conf.pluto,avwizard file - in case that's important.

Just curious but, is there a difference with physically deleting the xorg.conf and rebooting to run the avwizard or just running the avwizard from the advance menu?

Thanks again.

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2012, 05:30:20 am »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain... IIIII am the great and powerful OZ!!!!

Yes. I mean both result in the same thing, avwizard runs, but in your case, the existing xorg was causing a problem. It takes your existing xorg.conf and tries to fix it. Sometimes this causes a problem.

There are three conditions which cause avwiz to run.
1. There is no xorg.conf.
2. AVWizardOverride is set to 1
3. AVWizardDone is set to 0

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2012, 03:13:04 pm »
Thanks.

m3freak

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2012, 11:22:52 pm »
Keep in mind with the 1004 snapshot that everything is embedded. You do not need to run Diskless_CreateTBZ.sh anymore. Just get your core install finished, and plug MDs in. If you run into any issues, please let me know. I am usually available in irc as well for troubleshooting.

Would one get this "embedded" feature only via a fresh core install from a recent snapshot, or is it also implemented for those who are running the latest 10.04 code through updates/upgrades?

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2012, 01:53:05 am »
Would one get this "embedded" feature only via a fresh core install from a recent snapshot, or is it also implemented for those who are running the latest 10.04 code through updates/upgrades?

This is only a feature of the 1004 snapshot.

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2012, 07:50:33 am »
This is only a feature of the 1004 snapshot.

That's something I wanted to clarify- If I wanted to add a new MD to my system, presumably it would use the diskless image that was up-to-date as of my snapshot version, even if I'd done a few globalupgrades since then? So to get my new MD up to speed, I have two options-

1. Add it and then run globalupgrades on the whole system to upgrade it
or
2. Run Diskless_CreateTVZ.sh to create a new up-to-date diskless image and then add the MD.

I know option 1 is probably preferred, bandwidth-wise because it doesn't re-do *everything*, only updates the old stuff. But I'm thinking in a scenario where I want to test how cleanly a new MD is detected and setup from scratch, that would be the way to go?

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2012, 05:01:29 pm »
Using the script is a lot better bandwidth wise... and it does something interesting that nothing else does currently. It moves all of the packages the core knows about to the /usr/pluto/deb-cache directory, and creates two new Packages.gz files for the two directories. This means when mds are created, they draw all packages from the local directory while being setup. The script also cleans up old versions, so you don't end up with 100 different versions of packages.

So lets say you run the upgrade script on the core and remaining MDs. You could create a new MD after that, diskless setup will go much faster, and then running global upgrades again after creation would bring that MD up to speed.

If you do not care about time and bandwidth, you could upgrade the whole system, and then run Diskless_CreateTBZ.sh. This would have future MDs already up to date.

From my perspective, the result should be the same. One takes about half an hour, one can take up to two hours. One downloads a max of 525Mb, one downloads around 1.2Gb. However, running TBZ means you do not have to run a very immature  upgrade script every time you plug an MD in.

So... I guess it comes down to how often you upgrade. If you upgrade a lot... I would use the upgrade script. If you upgrade until you get to a stable image and then hang there... I would run TBZ.