Author Topic: Android application as a device  (Read 8559 times)

jander

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Android application as a device
« on: June 08, 2012, 05:14:17 am »
Hi all,

I'm willing to start understanding some of the DCE communication protocol and MCE architecture, so I want to create a simple application in an Android smartphone that could act as an MCE device.

Can anyone help me with directions on where I can start?

Thanks

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
Re: Android application as a device
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 06:57:46 am »
Well there are 2 ways to go with this.

1) the way i went. Qorbiter, ie, Qt cross compiled for arm and running on android

2) Port dce-code to java so you can use the libraries on android  and have a go.

-golgoj4
i can be found #linuxmce-devel on freenode irc
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

sambuca

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 08:35:24 am »
There is someone who already made a DCE implementation in Java that posted here a while ago. You should search the forums for it if you are going for that option.

br,
sambuca

jander

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 05:07:03 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I'll start and probably come back for further help.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 06:27:00 pm »
There is someone who already made a DCE implementation in Java that posted here a while ago. You should search the forums for it if you are going for that option.

br,
sambuca

in the source tree somewhere? been thinking about getting my hands dirty with java.

-golgoj4
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 09:33:16 pm »
Thinking of a chrome/chromium web app, maybe?! Note that Hexxah's Chromium OS builds will run off a USB drive or in a VirtualBox virtual machine...

http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/

Wouldn't it be nice to have a Chrome/Chromium LinuxMCE Orbiter installable app??

See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 04:18:55 am »
Thinking of a chrome/chromium web app, maybe?! Note that Hexxah's Chromium OS builds will run off a USB drive or in a VirtualBox virtual machine...

http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/

Wouldn't it be nice to have a Chrome/Chromium LinuxMCE Orbiter installable app??

hell no. btw the features request forum is elsewhere. this one is DEVELOPERS. Meaning people with intentions of, or who are currently DEVELOPING. not being looky-loo's or making inane suggestions on every damned topic. oi!

>.<

Admins: we need to start enforcing forum rules. kinda tired of this.

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 04:29:15 am »
hell no. btw the features request forum is elsewhere. this one is DEVELOPERS. Meaning people with intentions of, or who are currently DEVELOPING. not being looky-loo's or making inane suggestions on every damned topic. oi!

>.<

Admins: we need to start enforcing forum rules. kinda tired of this.

Jasp is just enthusiastic.... and learning the system.... I'm sure he'll contribute once he's got his bearings.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 05:22:44 pm »

Jasp is just enthusiastic.... and learning the system.... I'm sure he'll contribute once he's got his bearings.

you and your reasoning.,..you hear that jasep? you are now expected to start contributing ;)

-golgoj4

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 06:52:40 pm »
What?! These bearings are still rolling around all over the floor! What's the first rule for LinuxMCE again?? Patience, isn't it?!

PS: I wasn't actually requesting a Chrome-app Orbiter, I was was really just asking if you had that in mind, and that I thought it'd be very cool if you were... My first real contribution will likely be working up support for the Obi110 ATA,... But I can never seem to get the time,... especially since it involves the phone, and it's next to impossible to get the wife off it ...  ;D
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 07:08:49 pm by JaseP »
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

david_a_dawson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 12:58:17 am »
Hey, not been around for ages.

There's a probably working Java DCE implementation here

https://github.com/dawsonsystems/JavaDCE

And a half built Java DCE device here  -> https://github.com/dawsonsystems/linuxmceagent

I'm not quite in a position to pick this up, but if anyone is interested, it'd be a good motivation to get myself set up again. My linux mce project died a death when my little girl started walking.  Now she's in nursery...  well, the possibilities open up a little again.

david_a_dawson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 01:01:20 am »
ah yes, I remember now.  Its not quite finished.  I hadn't decided whether to stick with the compile against database approach used in the normal C++ devices (so you have constants matched with IDs in your source code generated from the database), or whether to load them at runtime.
Anyway, its not in a slick, finished state.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 01:18:19 am »
ah yes, I remember now.  Its not quite finished.  I hadn't decided whether to stick with the compile against database approach used in the normal C++ devices (so you have constants matched with IDs in your source code generated from the database), or whether to load them at runtime.
Anyway, its not in a slick, finished state.

Stop by irc sometime if you have a chance. I would love to pick your brain re: integrating the native android media player into qOrbiter. If its even possible to embed it in other applications, can you overlay stuff on it, ect.

Nice to hear the little one is walking! I know from experience it can be awesome and terrifying at the same time...or maybe that was just me.

Cheers,
Golgoj4