Author Topic: 10.04 external media identifier / id-my-disc not working for me  (Read 614 times)

jamo

  • Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 461
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
Hi All

When I put an audio-cd or DVD into any of the drives (2 media directors, one core) on my 10.04 setup, the media plays happily but is not picking up the disk info - titles, names etc. I'm pretty sure these disks have done so before. Anyone else having this behaviour on 10.04?

Any tips on trouble-shooting? I gather it's an app called id-my-disc that runs but I haven't done any more digging than that apart from a cursory glance at some logs that hasn't yielded any epiphanies.

Edit: note, I haven't tried an apt-get update/upgrade so perhaps scripts have changed or been fixed since my snapshot but I'm a bit nervous to do that on an otherwise working system.

JaseP

  • Addicted
  • *
  • Posts: 526
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
Re: 10.04 external media identifier / id-my-disc not working for me
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 06:48:28 pm »
Net installed 10.04 (Kubuntu plus script),... Mine correctly IDs DVD title and finds cover art. Must be peculiar to your installation or the snapshot you used...

Ask one of the devs what to look for...
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

jamo

  • Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 461
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
Re: 10.04 external media identifier / id-my-disc not working for me
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 09:19:30 pm »
Installed from snapshot... 5964.

Incidentally, it appears to be working now, at least on audio cds. I can't remember the behaviour with DVDs... usually picks it up quite quickly when you pop in a disc, doesn't it? I seem to get unknown disc on all dvds I put into the drives.

JaseP

  • Addicted
  • *
  • Posts: 526
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
Re: 10.04 external media identifier / id-my-disc not working for me
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 09:26:07 pm »
I would assume the speed is dependent on how well indexed the database is and how common or unusual the DVD title is... My system picked up "The Adventures of Tin Tin," for playback, very quickly... I don't know whether LinuxMCE saves a snapshot of the database or whether that's purely a function of it doing an internet search of the databases. Checking the Wiki might give you a clue as to that.

Personally, I usually rip the DVDs I buy to AVIs, and manually transfer them to the external HD that I use, ... saves space, but means I have to supply my own meta data.
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).