Author Topic: qOrbiter gets some Pi  (Read 33636 times)

coley

• Guru
    • View Profile
qOrbiter gets some Pi
« on: June 03, 2012, 01:34:43 am »
I've been trying to get qOrbiter ported to the Raspberry Pi.
I've made some progress and you can follow it on the wiki: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/RaspberryPi
If you have comment, suggestions or advice please post.

Be aware this is prototyping so progress could be forwards as well as backwards :)

-Coley.

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
Re: qOrbiter gets some Pi
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 05:32:50 pm »
awesome :) just got qt5 going on my dev box myself.

-golgoj4
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 05:59:34 pm »
Is the hope to have the pi as a media director, or qorbiter-only type setup (so it can be connected to an in-wall touch panel). Or both?

locutus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 07:51:55 pm »
I see qorbiter as a first logical step, who knows what we can find after that, mine is on its way :)

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 04:15:10 pm »
Note: The PI's video architecture (like all these ARM class devices) is frame buffer,... Not X-server. I don't know if the MD code is written in a way that can take advantage of a frame buffer based video display tech,... You ought a ask l3me about that...

If you can get MD code compatible with the frame buffer drivers that these devices use,... that opens up a lot of interesting possibilities for inexpensive MDs, including Android ports, maybe even mobile/car MDs that can sever and reestablish their link to the LinuxMCE core, and operate independently when not connected to the core... Hmmmm,... Imagine the commercial possibilities for developers here...
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

coley

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 08:33:15 pm »
yep, I know. There is always NanoX, I've used it before on arm devices.
Rolling our own window manager can remove X. As I see it X is kinda in the way on one of these devices.
Also up and coming QtWayland could be a nice fit, its an addon I might try getting going once q0rbiter behaves on the Pi.
Actually if you check out the QtonPi SD image it has no X installed, and thats what I've started with.
-Coley.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 01:44:46 am »
Note: The PI's video architecture (like all these ARM class devices) is frame buffer,... Not X-server. I don't know if the MD code is written in a way that can take advantage of a frame buffer based video display tech,... You ought a ask l3me about that...

If you can get MD code compatible with the frame buffer drivers that these devices use,... that opens up a lot of interesting possibilities for inexpensive MDs, including Android ports, maybe even mobile/car MDs that can sever and reestablish their link to the LinuxMCE core, and operate independently when not connected to the core... Hmmmm,... Imagine the commercial possibilities for developers here...

1) I have a job. oddly, linuxmce prepared me for it. linuxmceU: worked for me! but seriously, commercialization is not the point of this.

2) if you hung out with us devs you would probly get a better idea of where this all is going.

3) not going into the rest because its a nice day and why ruin it? ;)

golgoj4
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

PlatypusPedersen

• Regular Poster
  • Hugs?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 08:39:39 am »
4) In-car system was one of the things Pluto talked with some car-manufacturer about...
(Was waiting for Thom or someone else to point it out, but oh well..)

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 02:31:17 pm »
4) In-car system was one of the things Pluto talked with some car-manufacturer about...
(Was waiting for Thom or someone else to point it out, but oh well..)

and possibly more realistic with a pi...but we shall see
no pressure coley ;)

-golgoj4

coley

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 01:40:21 am »
qOrbiter now loads the familiar home screen after getting its config from the router.
I didn't have a spare usb mouse to test, will try to pick one up tomorrow and see how much further I can get.

-Coley.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 03:48:17 am »
qOrbiter now loads the familiar home screen after getting its config from the router.
I didn't have a spare usb mouse to test, will try to pick one up tomorrow and see how much further I can get.

-Coley.

i can only respond with something equally awesome
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-vQKZFF-9s

-golgoj4

coley

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 05:15:10 pm »
Doesn't look like I'll get much further tonight
https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTONPI-13 Mouse support has only recently been added  :(

If I get a chance I'll try a nightly qt5 snapshot or try the debian image.

-Coley.

either way I'll need the qt50-snapshot, actual debian image has older qt5 installed.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 06:43:28 pm by coley »

coley

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 01:33:06 am »
parked work on QtonPi 0.2 image. 0.3 when it is released will have what we need.
Going to focus on a different image with later qt5 install and see how we go.
An Arm hardfp port of debian wheezy has mouse and working qtwayland under qt5 - may give us something interesting.
I just need to get image and toolchain set up :)

-Coley.

locutus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 02:31:06 pm »
are you talking about the Raspbian image?

coley

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 03:20:38 pm »
Not specifically no, the two unofficial raspbian images, pisces and hexxeh, both aim to boot to graphical environments.
I'm trying to keep the image as trimmed as possible.
Having said that, assuming this works there should be nothing stopping you running qOrbiter on either of those images.

-Coley.